Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What do you do to keep your back healthy during intense periods of work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 19, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you do to keep your back healthy during intense periods of work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hege Jakobsen Lepri. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 19, 2016

Try to remember to sit up straight and not slump.

Florian AUDRAIN
Florian AUDRAIN  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
Other Sep 19, 2016

I use speech recognition software.
You don't have to keep your hands permanently on your keyboard; it really relaxes your arms and shoulders.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Sep 19, 2016

This is what I do during any period of work (intense or not):

1. I always exercise my fingers and hands before I start typing,
2. I sit well back in my fully adjustable leather office chair with a tall back and arm rests,
3. For lumbar support I bought a small special cushion (Orthia),
4. I have adjusted the seat height so that my feet are flat on the floor and my knees are equal to, or slightly lower, than my hips,
5. My screen is at eye level,
6. I
... See more
This is what I do during any period of work (intense or not):

1. I always exercise my fingers and hands before I start typing,
2. I sit well back in my fully adjustable leather office chair with a tall back and arm rests,
3. For lumbar support I bought a small special cushion (Orthia),
4. I have adjusted the seat height so that my feet are flat on the floor and my knees are equal to, or slightly lower, than my hips,
5. My screen is at eye level,
6. I have all objects I need within easy reach
7. I take 2-3 minutes breaks (almost) every hour to stretch and walk…

I must be doing something right as I’m older than most of you and I do not suffer from any of the common ailments generally attributed to sitting long hours at the computer, except for poor circulation in my legs specially in the warm weather which is probably more of an age thing…
Collapse

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Other - anything that helps survive a sit-down job... Sep 19, 2016

Ergonomic chair (Swopper), gel hand/arm rest pads, Yoga, dancing, physiotherapy, and decades of piano practise.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Intense periods of work? Sep 19, 2016

What intense periods of work? I left those behind years ago.

Greetings from Aveiro, Portugal

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Most of the above Sep 19, 2016

I sit on a Swiss ball so I'm not stuck in one position, I dictate to reduce keyboard work and I do insane amounts of exercise.

Mental health is more important, though, as I only really get back problems when I'm stressed. While work rarely stresses me out these days, the family is very skilled at it.

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Swiss ball (half of the day) Sep 19, 2016

exercice and in case of very big problems I go and see my osteopath

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Excercise Sep 19, 2016

I take breaks and/or do excercise regardless of the intense of my work.
I also try to avoid rush jobs.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
French to English
+ ...
I stretch! Sep 19, 2016

Actually I don't do much, because I'm such a fidget that I'm rarely sitting still for long periods of time.

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:55
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Lie on your stomach Sep 19, 2016

Most days my back is not strong enough to sit and stand all day, so besides a midday nap I also do some of the correction work lying on my stomach. 10-15 minutes of this every few hours is totally sufficient.

If you try it, I'm warning you - the first few times you do it, you will be so distracted that you will hardly get anything done. You have to adjust your breathing, and above all your nervous system has to get used to being relieved of the stress and strain accumulated over X
... See more
Most days my back is not strong enough to sit and stand all day, so besides a midday nap I also do some of the correction work lying on my stomach. 10-15 minutes of this every few hours is totally sufficient.

If you try it, I'm warning you - the first few times you do it, you will be so distracted that you will hardly get anything done. You have to adjust your breathing, and above all your nervous system has to get used to being relieved of the stress and strain accumulated over X years without interruption.

[Edited at 2016-09-19 12:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-19 12:50 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
My back and the rest... Sep 19, 2016

...are kept healthy using a well-known recipe : moving my backside from time to time, sleeping enough, eating well and doing very unhealthy things now and again to remind me that healthy things are definitely better for my health.

Philippe

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Other - a combination of the options Sep 19, 2016

I constantly work on improving my workplace ergonomics
I change positions (and sometimes rooms) frequently
I exercise every day (yoga, stretches, weights and walking/running)
and I also enjoy the occasional massage (esp. after intense periods of work)

(And I wonder - when did I submit this poll? Years ago, for sure!)

[Edited at 2016-09-19 14:21 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:55
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not much Sep 19, 2016

Not much really, but I to make regular breaks, when I stand up and do something else.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:55
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nothing, I do nothing. Sep 19, 2016

It's an interesting topic because my family has a history of back problems. My father had to quit playing golf, and my brother has an adapted car for work, but I have no back problems whatsoever even though I spend most of the day sitting in a chair.

The answer to this riddle is probably because I moved to the humid tropics in north-eastern Brazil fifteen years ago. I can only put it down to the hot, humid conditions, as I haven't had any problems or niggles for ten years, and I've
... See more
It's an interesting topic because my family has a history of back problems. My father had to quit playing golf, and my brother has an adapted car for work, but I have no back problems whatsoever even though I spend most of the day sitting in a chair.

The answer to this riddle is probably because I moved to the humid tropics in north-eastern Brazil fifteen years ago. I can only put it down to the hot, humid conditions, as I haven't had any problems or niggles for ten years, and I've been living here for fifteen.

I hope that's an insight to some of you who may have constant back problems, and I've often heard people wishing to move to warmer climes in an attempt to resolve serious problems.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do to keep your back healthy during intense periods of work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »