Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In your opinion, which factor is the most important when selecting a CPD course?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 13:59
SITE STAFF
Sep 27, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In your opinion, which factor is the most important when selecting a CPD course?".

This poll was originally submitted by Angus Stewart. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 21:59
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Sep 27, 2016

Almost all my CPD was done in-house and I didn’t have to worry about any of those factors, all I had to do was to pick the date and the subject matter. Since I retired from my in-house position and I started freelancing, it has been hard to find the time (or the motivation, let’s be truthful), to do any CPD, but fortunately, in this profession,we never stop learning…

[Edited at 2016-09-27 09:25 GMT]

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:59
German to English
+ ...
Other Sep 27, 2016

How useful it is. I would have thought this is the most important factor for freelancers.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Sep 27, 2016

CDP? I hope that I am the only one that is not sure what these abbreviations mean?

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:59
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Ditto Sep 27, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

CDP? I hope that I am the only one that is not sure what these abbreviations mean?

I don't know what "CPD" means either. It would be helpful if posters would decipher the acronyms they use.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
CPD = continuing professional development Sep 27, 2016

I'm old fashioned. I don't care much for CPD courses, mostly because they're delivered online (negating the much-needed interaction between student and instructor, and among students) and because they offer an overview of concepts, nothing very solid to use elsewhere.

I'd rather take an adult education class at a local community college.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Relevance / effectiveness Sep 27, 2016

Some people are fond of populating their vertical real estate, IOW filling one or more walls with diplomas.

I would select and take a CPD course if - and only if - it were necessary or helpful to reach some of my goals.
Plan B is always self-teaching, if no formal accreditation is required, and I have been VERY successful at that in many areas.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Other - a combination Sep 27, 2016

Relevance, pertinence, quality, reputation, price, all on the same level. It has to be appropriate, but if I can't afford it, then I can't do it. If it's cheap but not of good quality, then there's no point doing it either.
It can be wholly relevant for my professional development without it being flagged up as a CPD course. I didn't know what was being meant here either so I looked it up.

[Edited at 2016-09-27 10:38 GMT]

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to Greek
+ ...
CPD = continuing personal development Sep 27, 2016

The title states how I like to see this. My only criterion is how interesting the subject to me. There are amazing courses out there and I only wish I had more time to follow more.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Oh, okay Sep 27, 2016

In that case, no because I do not have the time for it.
I think that this is an increasing demand for companies that are certified though, so I am not really sure what sort of course i should do as I am continuously learning things as I go along.

[Edited at 2016-09-27 14:49 GMT]

Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
No CPD Sep 27, 2016

I work at least 40 hours a week, I think that's enough.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Sep 27, 2016

Enrico Zoffoli wrote:

I work at least 40 hours a week, I think that's enough.

That pretty much sums up my experience too.

Marta Cervera Areny
Spain
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
Surprised by poll results Sep 27, 2016

I'm really surprised to see that over 40% of the respondents so far are saying they don't do CPD. Really?? There's nothing else out there for you to learn anymore?

I also work 40 hours a week, sometimes even 50 or 60... but I also try to find time, at least once a year, to attend some kind of course, seminar, conference, webinar, whatever event I think can offer me something interesting from a professional point of view. There are still a million things I'd like to learn!

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
CPD Sep 27, 2016

I only learnt about what a CPD is when I relocated to the U.S. This is pretty much strictly a "US" thing and has been introduced in Europe only relatively recently.

After 22 years into this profession, there is really not much that might convince me to follow a CPD course. Furthermore, I am generally suspicious about the increasing offer of all these masters, courses, classes, etc. I might sound old fashioned, blasé and whatnot, but I doubt I am ever going to subscribe to a CPD course in my life. Plus, I believe in self-teaching and I practice that every day.

Giusi

Katrin Bosse  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same here Sep 27, 2016

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Relevance, pertinence, quality, reputation, price, all on the same level. It has to be appropriate, but if I can't afford it, then I can't do it. If it's cheap but not of good quality, then there's no point doing it either.
It can be wholly relevant for my professional development without it being flagged up as a CPD course. I didn't know what was being meant here either so I looked it up.

[Edited at 2016-09-27 10:38 GMT]

I could have written your post, Nikki!

Plus, I am a single working mother without parental support, so time or rather timing is really important for me.

In principle, I am all for life-long learning, but being the sole caregiver and provider for a nine-year-old eats up so much of my free time and energy that CPD is extremely low on my lists of priorities, I am afraid...

Edited to add:
@ Marta: I have a colleague who lives in the UK on her own, doesn't have a child and no other responsibilities. For years, she has followed one Open University course after another and I secretly envied her for being able to do this on top of being a full-time in-house translator. But then again, I value being a mother and the time spent with my daughter so much more than amassing degrees that my envy quietly subsided.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-09-27 13:51 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In your opinion, which factor is the most important when selecting a CPD course?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search