Poll: What is the longest period you were out of work, as a freelancer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 1, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is the longest period you were out of work, as a freelancer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Veroniki Velli. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
6 days Oct 1, 2016

Twice in the 2006-2016 period. Usually, it's just one or two days...

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:19
Italian to English
+ ...
not long Oct 1, 2016

Never more than 1 or 2 days.

Just as I deliver all the jobs and start planning what to do next - usually ironing or cleaning of some kind - another job usually turns up.
I don't even remember when I was last "out of work". Even when I went back to Scotland this year, I took my laptop because I had a long job that kept me going for 3 months.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Never, Oct 1, 2016

during the last 3 years.

Before then, a couple of days.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Out of work? Oct 1, 2016

As an independent (or autonomous) translator? You mean apart from this week?

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
never - fortunately Oct 1, 2016

Only once but for a couple of hours.
I was about to deliver the last translation (quite strange cause I usually get translations well ahead of the deadline) on my computer and I realized I had nothing to do. First reaction: panic! So in the email to my client I wrote that I was free in case he needed - his reply left me in my panic moment "Sorry it is a bad time for our company so no jobs for you"... I started to plan my week (panic, marketing, panic, administration, panic, a bit of sport
... See more
Only once but for a couple of hours.
I was about to deliver the last translation (quite strange cause I usually get translations well ahead of the deadline) on my computer and I realized I had nothing to do. First reaction: panic! So in the email to my client I wrote that I was free in case he needed - his reply left me in my panic moment "Sorry it is a bad time for our company so no jobs for you"... I started to plan my week (panic, marketing, panic, administration, panic, a bit of sport and panic) and after 2 hours the same client sent me an email with three translations.

That was about 5 years ago. Lesson learned: never rely only on ONE big client... since then I have always been busy, or at least happily free with deadlines scheduled...

[Edited at 2016-10-01 11:40 GMT]
Collapse

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Never Oct 1, 2016

Actually the problem is quite the opposite: trying to turn down as few jobs as possible.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:19
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Out of work? Oct 1, 2016

You mean so little work that we should be on the dole?
We all know that work can be slack for days to be followed by a couple of weeks of 14-hours days non stop. And, vice versa!

The question would make more sense if it meant 'did not make your daily quota' or 'did not break even for the month,' especially if translation is your sole source of income.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not out of work, but… Oct 1, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

You mean so little work that we should be on the dole?
We all know that work can be slack for days to be followed by a couple of weeks of 14-hours days non stop. And, vice versa!

The question would make more sense if it meant 'did not make your daily quota' or 'did not break even for the month,' especially if translation is your sole source of income.

…between jobs (a more appropriate phrase).

It's not the question that per se is necessarily a bad one, but the way it is expressed. I dare compare the Proz quick polls to “1 plus 1 is really 2” kind of questions in a college math website.

Writing skills are sliding, ladies and gents.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
El Camino Oct 1, 2016

Being diagnosed with oparian cancer, after my major operations I literally ran away from the chemotherapy from the hospital. I left to St. James Way (El Camino de Santiago) and spent the most beautiful 42 days of my life on the way from Saint-Jean-Pied-du-Port, France through Santiago de Compostela to Finisterra, Spain. The walk had significant impact on my life and determined some changes.
I whispered to the Apostle that if I survive I come back. And made a wish to return all the way on f
... See more
Being diagnosed with oparian cancer, after my major operations I literally ran away from the chemotherapy from the hospital. I left to St. James Way (El Camino de Santiago) and spent the most beautiful 42 days of my life on the way from Saint-Jean-Pied-du-Port, France through Santiago de Compostela to Finisterra, Spain. The walk had significant impact on my life and determined some changes.
I whispered to the Apostle that if I survive I come back. And made a wish to return all the way on foot.
It will happen one day at a time.

(and the most delicious dish in my life on the last picture

EL CAMINO 550

EL CAMINO 608

EL CAMINO 715

EL CAMINO 621

EL CAMINO 755

[Edited at 2016-10-01 13:34 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:19
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Several weeks Oct 1, 2016

I had a "tragic" week in 2004 when I lost my two major clients (first, the European Commission, after around 15 years working with them uninterruptedly as a direct client, when the electronic tenders were established - i.e., although my application was considered, my price was quite high in comparison with other bidders, and overnight I stopped receiving around 150 pages a month, and had to apply to each new job and still was not awarded work, only very rarely; second, a major advertising agency... See more
I had a "tragic" week in 2004 when I lost my two major clients (first, the European Commission, after around 15 years working with them uninterruptedly as a direct client, when the electronic tenders were established - i.e., although my application was considered, my price was quite high in comparison with other bidders, and overnight I stopped receiving around 150 pages a month, and had to apply to each new job and still was not awarded work, only very rarely; second, a major advertising agency I had worked with for 25 years: they went into difficulties and cancelled my monthly contract). All this happened in the same week in 2004, and to crown it all, my cat run away as well. The cat came back 3 weeks later, the 2 clients not really... So, I was suddenly faced with no work and had to dive into the market, only to find prices that were half of what I used to earn. Very slowly, I created a new client base with my prices, but it took a while. I am very happy now, and I can say work is much more fun now. Before the "tragic" week, life was very comfortable and stable. It is much more exciting now...Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:19
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few days Oct 1, 2016

I'm not considering the period I was not a full-time translator for this question.
Since I did become a full-time translator (2013), a few days is the answer, since I didn't take any time off yet.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Four months Oct 1, 2016

At the start of this year. Slowest year ever (< 10,000 so far)

[Edited at 2016-10-01 18:39 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Occasionally Oct 1, 2016

I do sacrifice translation for interpreting or vice verse, or both for something else, while still freelancing (has little to do with translation though), does it count?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the longest period you were out of work, as a freelancer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »