Poll: Do you search KudoZ/KOG as part of your research while translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 01:29
SITE STAFF
Oct 7, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you search KudoZ/KOG as part of your research while translating?".

View the poll results »

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2016-10-07 11:09 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Oct 7, 2016

At least, I think so.
Normally I go to the terminology tab and click on "term search"... But I don't usually pay attention to results from members' glossaries, as I prefer to see the associated kudoz queries and discussion of the term, as well as the other suggestions that may have been entered, which are sometimes better options than the glossary entry.
And sometimes, if I don't get the result I'm looking for through the search function, I may post my own kudoz query - whether or not I may have my own ideas - because I find it very useful to compare suggestions from other translators.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Rarely Oct 7, 2016

and usually as a last resort before i make up my own term

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not frequently, but it happens Oct 7, 2016

One of the big advantages of Kudoz, in my languages at least, is the discussions.

I sometimes remember terms I have asked about myself, and although I have noted the answer, I may need to rethink it in a new context.

The background is equally useful if someone else has asked. I remember some from monitoring Kudoz for years, but find others that I was not aware of. There are plenty of good dictionaries and resources for the conventional terms, but Kudoz is one of the places I look first for the tricky ones, the odd idioms, and the topical expressions that are impossible to guess.

If I don't find an answer, I have usually been lucky in posting a new question. Thanks to colleagues who have helped and contributed!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 09:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes Oct 7, 2016

Kudoz is sometimes my last port of call, but not my first.

My first hit is always IATE, then my other ports of call are: Eur-Lex, BDTT, Linguee, WordReference, dict.cc, Termium, PONS…

[Edited at 2016-10-07 12:00 GMT]

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Sometimes Oct 7, 2016

Kudoz can be very helpful. I don't necessarily accept its "answers" without question, although sometimes I find "le mot juste", but the discussions and suggestions can be useful pointers. Thank you to all contributors.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Usually Oct 7, 2016

My first resource is usually Linguee. The second is Kudoz. Sometimes I'll use Word Reference.

With these three I can usually get my entire translation done. I'll use Google a bit as well.

Interestingly, when I first started out I almost exclusively used paper dictionaries. It has been at least a couple of years since I've used them. It is a good collection but it is gathering dust. I've been debating throwing most of them out. Any thoughts from my Proz colleagues on that?

[Edited at 2016-10-07 11:30 GMT]

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:29
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Oct 7, 2016

I am my own last line of defense before I deliver to the customer.

Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes Oct 7, 2016

I often find that Kudoz answers are not reliable at all and therefore only use Kudoz as a last resort, and even then, with caution, lots of caution.

I think it is usually simply better to ask the question again, even if it has been asked/answered before. Subsequent discussions with colleagues often help me find the right solution.

As for dictionaries and Edward Potter's question, mine are gathering dust too, but I sometimes find very good answers there. A couple of years ago I actually ordered three small, fashion related dictionaries that I heard about at a Proz webinar, and also managed to get a very good one about the oil industry.

So I think I will be keeping them, at least for the time being...

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Very often Oct 7, 2016

I often refer to the KudoZ entries as part of my research. Doesn't mean I follow the suggestions blindly, but there are a lot of good suggestions there. Once you have been "around" for a while, you get a feeling for who are the reliable Pros and who are not.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Researching terms, expressions Oct 7, 2016

Since I believe translation has more to do with writing for and within a culture than with a particular language, I don't search words but contexts. Consequently, I read a lot to understand the different contexts a term might function as I need it to.

Sadly, the terminology search here is not without its faults but it also shows some advantages (sometimes, some translators do provide good discussions and analysis). What's sadder, however, is how some self-described translators ask for a word-in-a-vacuum equivalent in the target language, half the time failing to provide any context. Some of them shouldn't be in the profession but it's a free world. Oh, well.

Maxi Schwarz
Local time: 03:29
German to English
+ ...
It comes up Oct 7, 2016

When I look up a term or expression, sometimes my search brings me to KudoZ. In that case I read the entire discussion, which imho is the more important part.
What is KOG?

Andris Dinaburgskis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:29
English to Latvian
+ ...
Other Oct 7, 2016

Not really. However, when I search some terms or phrases via Google, useful KudoZ/KOG entries sometimes appears.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:29
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always Oct 8, 2016

ProZ is always open in my browser, along with AvroDx and Google. AvroDx is great for EN-PT, but quite incomplete. ProZ has the advantage of the discussions and explanations, which no other resource has. Plus, you can make a question if you don't find a translation. And Google is an excellent tool to find translations (not GT whatsoever!) as long as you learn some tricks to do the searching.
And I notice many people like Linguee. There are two sections in Linguee. The first one may be very useful, i.e. the top section with dictionary transaltions and synonyms. The large section, with translations posted by users, however, is the paradise of literal translations. 90% of the translations found there are always very literal, therefore not trustworthy. So be careful with that specific section of Linguee. It has no quality control, and it's just a compilation of translations posted by users.

Cathy Flick  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

Hardcopy vs online dictionaries Oct 8, 2016

Someone asked about hardcopy dictionaries gathering dust. Mine are, too. Many years ago, another translator said he ocr'd his old dictionaries to get them into electronic form. He wanted to be able to load them into his laptop for traveling. He had to unbind the pages first.

I use www.multitran.ru all the time when translating from Russian into English. I still have to check out the results, but it's a good starting place.

Linguée can be helpful but isn't too reliable. Sometimes I'll just google for key terms in both target and source, that can bring up articles or patents with an English abstract or version, fractured though it may be. Or I'll just search for terms in the target, since if I can find a definition or explanation - then I can usually decide what to call it in English.

Kudoz can be useful especially because of the discussions. But always check the ideas out in other sources. That's true with hardcopy dictionaries also. They can be obsolete, incomplete, or dead wrong at least in technical areas.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you search KudoZ/KOG as part of your research while translating?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search