Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: At what stage do you translate the fastest?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:22
SITE STAFF
Oct 18, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "At what stage do you translate the fastest?".

This poll was originally submitted by Châu Nguyễn. View the poll results »

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Closer to the end, but... Oct 18, 2016

If it's a subject I'm not as familiar with, I'd have to say towards the end of a project. It's the downhill side of the learning curve.
If it's a subject I've dealt with before, it probably doesn't make much difference.

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
I have no idea Oct 18, 2016

But if the project is in a field I don't know very well, I will certainly be slowed down in the beginning by frequent searches. Otherwise, it depends more on how tired I am at that particular time than on the project stage.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Good question Oct 18, 2016

I don't translate sentence by sentence or section by section; I dictate a first draft of the whole thing without any research, then work through it with research, then check it.

I enjoy the first two stages: first finding out what it says and then making it read well.

Checking I don't enjoy so it goes more slowly, and with big jobs I'll be in pure survival mode by the end.

I tend to avoid big jobs for that reason.

Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 18, 2016

My "speed" depends on my energy levels each day and on how long it takes me to "dive" into the job.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Oct 18, 2016

Varies

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 18, 2016

It depends on several factors: my mood, the subject matter, the length of the project, the language combination, how many interruptions I have during the day to attend calls, emails, etc., but in general, I’m at my “maximum cruise speed” towards the middle of the project.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Other/Depends Oct 18, 2016

I'm neither a rush-jober, nor a slowpoker trying to keep up, because when it's easier, I do faster; when it's harder, I do slower--no matter what stage of the project. Simple as that.

For me it's rarely about terminology or something, but a floweriness (non-native) style and extra research.

[Edited at 2016-10-18 10:16 GMT]

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:22
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
About 1/4 or so through a project Oct 18, 2016

I've been doing lots of automotive stuff recently these past few years. Each customer is different and has their own set of specifications and requirements. It generally takes me a few days to a week to get up to speed. Basically, I have to let the engine run a while to get into overdrive. Vrmm vrmm icon_smile.gif
Mind you, I can very easily slip into overdrive right from the beginning with factory automation stuff. It all boils down to how familiar you are with the stuff you are translating.

I don't accept work out of my comfort zones for this reason.

Small edit

[Edited at 2016-10-19 00:04 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:22
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
it is a learning curve Oct 18, 2016

of course, end of project rises my speed enormously.

Soonthon l.

njweatherdon
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
The stage where inner demons don't question every thought Oct 18, 2016

Say, you decide something is a decent option for the translation, but then a powerful sense of doubt combines with ideas for other options.

When this is not happening, I can translate very quickly and of generally much higher quality than in the first case.

More concretely, since I mostly translate research studies, the methodology, results and annexes sections are fastest because technical vocabulary varies less, and if the original is well-written and cautious in its interpretations, then you can basically just go straight through it. Of course, 99% of translators would make huge mistakes in those sections, but ... that's why there's specialization and similar stuff should apply in YOUR area of specialization

Literature reviews are slower because most authors make small mistakes in simplifying/summarizing the methods of others, and in the act of translation these ambiguities come out. Also, for conclusions, you need to be really careful so that no one reads/twists extremist positions out of moderate arguments due to lack of care in word choice.

[Edited at 2016-10-18 14:40 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
French to English
Depends on subject matter Oct 18, 2016

I slow down and need frequent breaks if it's something I find boring.

Generally, though, I gather momentum as I work through a project.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Oct 18, 2016

It depends on the project and my overall condition/mood.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:22
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maintain... Oct 18, 2016

I don't see much of a speed difference in any stage.

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Second half Oct 18, 2016

The second half is usually faster than the first. I generally work on long-term projects, so the beginning is all about getting into some kind of rhythm, and tuning into the style, vocabulary etc. By the time I reach the middle, I am usually steaming away and there is less research and clarification required by that stage.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: At what stage do you translate the fastest?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search