Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you couldn't be a freelance translator, what other kind of freelancer would you be ?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:46
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Writer Dec 15, 2016

Of course a writer- Ooops. already am.

And become more active as a journalist.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Head of State Dec 15, 2016

I'd be like a cross between QE2 and Trump. Those jewels and that hair...

Elizabeth Trump
Clown for hire
Impeding progress and unity worldwide

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
French to English
Writer Dec 15, 2016

Best-selling psychological thriller writer, to be specific.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reminds me of a movie Dec 15, 2016

Natalie Soper wrote:

I dunno, it just seems like a nice job.

…with Aaron Eckardt and Jennifer Aniston I saw years ago.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wanted to be a pilot too Dec 15, 2016

Anton Konashenok wrote:

A pilot. In fact, I am one, but it's quite difficult to develop it as a full-time freelance career (as opposed to employment), so I have to earn a living by translating.

That's a cheery thought, to see you as a pilot, Anton. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a doctor, a pilot, a detective, and a clubhouse owner.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Fairground lady Dec 15, 2016

Oh, I just remembered another one. I've always wanted to be the lady with the microphone at a really scary funfair/carnival ride, who says "and one more round, this knocks the strongest fly off the wall, and up we go again!". Now why exactly have I never done this?

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
You have a chance... Dec 15, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

That's a cheery thought, to see you as a pilot, Anton. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a doctor, a pilot, a detective, and a clubhouse owner.

Mario, if you happen to be in Prague and want to take a sightseeing flight, drop me a line.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
None Dec 15, 2016

I didn't start out as a freelancer and pick translation. I started as a translator and picked freelancing.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:46
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Dec 15, 2016

Before I became a full-time freelance translator, I worked as business manager for 20 years, so I might not be unemployed. But I wouldn't enjoy that at all.

[Edited at 2016-12-15 19:22 GMT]

Paola Giardina
Paola Giardina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
mountain climber Dec 15, 2016

In another life, maybe.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:46
Russian to English
A real estate novelist Dec 15, 2016

https://play.google.com/music/preview/Twx7kpapwmir7z7llm6sqqy25pq?lyrics=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=lyrics&pcampaignid=kp-lyrics

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:46
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So many lives needed Dec 15, 2016

I don't know how many could be done freelance but if I had a few more lives I'd love to be:
- Astronaut, pathologist or forensic scientist, but I'd have to do much better in school science subjects
- Aerobatic pilot, skydiver, racing driver, stuntwoman, for the thrill-seeker in me
- Chef (nearly did that but I had a mortgage to pay and programming paid at least double).

In fact, the only jobs I would never consider are the 'people' ones. And putting me in charge of
... See more
I don't know how many could be done freelance but if I had a few more lives I'd love to be:
- Astronaut, pathologist or forensic scientist, but I'd have to do much better in school science subjects
- Aerobatic pilot, skydiver, racing driver, stuntwoman, for the thrill-seeker in me
- Chef (nearly did that but I had a mortgage to pay and programming paid at least double).

In fact, the only jobs I would never consider are the 'people' ones. And putting me in charge of anything financial would be a seriously bad idea.
Collapse

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Other Dec 15, 2016

I'm training to be a counsellor/psychotherapist, which thanks to (current) French legislation I may well only ever be able to practise in self-employment, but I doubt it will ever become a full-time activity. In fact, balancing full-on, emotionally involved people time with the solitary and intellectual pursuit - during which one can take breaks more or less at will - that is translation, sounds pretty ideal to me on paper: watch this space.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Editor Dec 16, 2016

I already do quite a bit of editing. I find it easier than translating--but a good deal less fun.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Landscape designer Dec 16, 2016

I studied landscape design for 7 years. At the time I was only translating about 75% of my time, but my translation business picked up suddenly and the income was so much better that I never really pursued my design career, but I still love designing gardens.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you couldn't be a freelance translator, what other kind of freelancer would you be ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »