Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If you couldn't be a freelance translator, what other kind of freelancer would you be ?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 15, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you couldn't be a freelance translator, what other kind of freelancer would you be ?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Language teacher Dec 15, 2016

But only because that's what I did before going full-time as a translator. In the real world, nowadays I'd consider other things too if something interesting came up.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Dec 15, 2016

No idea! I didn't start out my career as a translator. There were more than a couple of other completely different professions before this one. I do not regret at all my intricate professional path as it gave me a valuable insight of different areas of business. Then one day translation found me: part-time for a few years followed by 20 years as full-time in-house translator and reviser (retired now). As I am a firm believer of the right to work beyond retirement age (if one wishes so) I have be... See more
No idea! I didn't start out my career as a translator. There were more than a couple of other completely different professions before this one. I do not regret at all my intricate professional path as it gave me a valuable insight of different areas of business. Then one day translation found me: part-time for a few years followed by 20 years as full-time in-house translator and reviser (retired now). As I am a firm believer of the right to work beyond retirement age (if one wishes so) I have been freelancing full time since 2006. What would I do if I wasn’t a translator? The only thing I’m quite sure is that I would take whatever life had to offer me…Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:38
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Ski instructor Dec 15, 2016

We have plenty of mountains and ski grounds here in Japan. The Aussies and Kiwis swear that the best powder can be found in Hokkaido.

In fact, in my youth - ahem - I skied the course at Happone that was used for the downhill in the Nagano Winter Olympics nonstop. Unfortunately I did not clock a time that would have got me a medal.

Of course, I shall ski Anonymously in the spirit of the polls we ha
... See more
We have plenty of mountains and ski grounds here in Japan. The Aussies and Kiwis swear that the best powder can be found in Hokkaido.

In fact, in my youth - ahem - I skied the course at Happone that was used for the downhill in the Nagano Winter Olympics nonstop. Unfortunately I did not clock a time that would have got me a medal.

Of course, I shall ski Anonymously in the spirit of the polls we have been getting recently.

Added last line
Small edit

[Edited at 2016-12-15 10:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-12-15 13:16 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Me too Dec 15, 2016

neilmac wrote:

But only because that's what I did before going full-time as a translator. In the real world, nowadays I'd consider other things too if something interesting came up.

But nowadays I'd like to be a lawyer.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Florist Dec 15, 2016

I dunno, it just seems like a nice job.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Other Dec 15, 2016

Freelance astronaut/cosmonaut/taikonaut

Philippe

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wouldn't be a freelancer Dec 15, 2016

Or at least I wouldn't have employees... I am experiencing pension envy, access to days off envy [without having to make up the time later], lack of responsibility etc. etc.. But then the grass is always greener...

Ivan Czar
Ivan Czar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
IT education Dec 15, 2016

I am an IT expert and Physics teacher "breaking bad" to the translation industry. For years I was IT/ECDL instructor, but this pays better.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Other Dec 15, 2016

A pilot. In fact, I am one, but it's quite difficult to develop it as a full-time freelance career (as opposed to employment), so I have to earn a living by translating.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Dec 15, 2016

Call boy☺

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
Other Dec 15, 2016

Freelance gazillionaire

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Judge on Strictly Come Dancing Dec 15, 2016

Len and Darcy, please step aside.

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Architect Dec 15, 2016

Because I am one.
But maybe I'd try something completely new...

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
I have no idea. Dec 15, 2016

My little brother always answers "rich and lazy". My answer is "a little old French lady with lots of cats and green window shutters", but I'm not sure if there are any job opportunities for that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you couldn't be a freelance translator, what other kind of freelancer would you be ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »