Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How do you think you compare to other translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 23, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you think you compare to other translators?".

View the poll results »

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 11:28
English to German
Of course I'm better than average Dec 23, 2016

... because everyone is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Better than average Dec 23, 2016

I go back and forth between "pretty good" and "Why don't I know this already?"

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Better than average Dec 23, 2016

Like Muriel, I go back and forth between "pretty good" and "I should know this already"...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:28
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
'Better than average' + depends Dec 23, 2016

on which field of expertise I am translating

There is a big difference in skills when you've been translating one field for 6 or 7 years and another for over 25.

Mind you, a customer at one of the major industrial automation manufacturers here in Japan did tell me once that as far as he knew I was one of only two people who could translate their products properly. Ever since, I've been hoping to meet the other bloke in a dark alley. ...
See more
on which field of expertise I am translating

There is a big difference in skills when you've been translating one field for 6 or 7 years and another for over 25.

Mind you, a customer at one of the major industrial automation manufacturers here in Japan did tell me once that as far as he knew I was one of only two people who could translate their products properly. Ever since, I've been hoping to meet the other bloke in a dark alley.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Do not care Dec 23, 2016

to be perfectly honest!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 23, 2016

As good as many, better than some and perhaps slightly worse than a few. WTF is "average" anyway, when it's at home?

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I have never heard of the first option Dec 23, 2016

and I doubt I am the only one - we could make a poll, that might reveal something as far as English goes

[Edited at 2016-12-23 09:59 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I could still learn quite a lot Dec 23, 2016

The larger the island of knowledge, the longer is the shore of the unknown...
I have learnt a few things along the way, but wise colleagues have taught me there is always more!

I seem to be above average, judging by the reactions of clients when I say I am winding down a bit.

'Can't hold a candle to you' - that will probably separate the native speakers of British English from the rest. Odd expression. My mother used it when we were too pleased with ourselves as c
... See more
The larger the island of knowledge, the longer is the shore of the unknown...
I have learnt a few things along the way, but wise colleagues have taught me there is always more!

I seem to be above average, judging by the reactions of clients when I say I am winding down a bit.

'Can't hold a candle to you' - that will probably separate the native speakers of British English from the rest. Odd expression. My mother used it when we were too pleased with ourselves as children, so it is always a rebuke to me.

But let's light a candle for a peaceful, festive end to the year, now the Northern Hemisphere has passed the shortest day, and a Happy New Year to everyone!
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Hold what? Dec 23, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:
'Can't hold a candle to you' - that will probably separate the native speakers of British English from the rest.

The German expression is similar, but even weirder - "niemand kann mir das Wasser reichen", nobody can hand the water to me [implied: water in a glass or jug at a meal]. Can we collect more of these from other languages?

A happy return of the light to you, Christine, and to everyone!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Other Dec 23, 2016

Like most people, I'm very good at some things, not so great at others, and fairly average in a few areas. Therefore, I to attempt to steer my work in a direction that takes advantage of my strong points rather than my weaknesses. Meanwhile, there will always be things I don't know, so I'll never stop learning in an effort to fill in the gaps.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm good at what I do Dec 23, 2016

If I didn't feel I was good at what I do, I wouldn't do it. I know some others make a hash of the same type of work, while others do a very good job. But I don't waste time comparing myself with them. I just try to always do my best. If a client has come to me, that's what he or she needs - my best work.

One thing I do know is that if I accepted everything from aeronautics to zoology, via legal and medical, I'd do a lot less well.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No one can hold a candle to me Dec 23, 2016

I don't exactly know what it means (and if I want to, I can investigate), but I found this entry funny.
I like these good-driver-type polls, where about 90% of car drivers think they drive better than average.
But average means 50% on one side, 50% on the other.

Never ever ask what people think of themselves, there's always an inherent bias.

Philippe

Edit: Sorry Ricki, you had already mentioned this.

[Edited at 2016-12-23 10:51 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It's an English language expression, definitely not just British English Dec 23, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

'Can't hold a candle to you' - that will probably separate the native speakers of British English from the rest. Odd expression.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/can't+hold+a+candle+to

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Statistics Dec 23, 2016

Philippe Etienne wrote:

But average means 50% on one side, 50% on the other.

Strictly speaking, it doesn't.

I could be so out-of-this-world brilliant that all other translators are below-average.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you think you compare to other translators?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »