Poll: In addition to translation work, do you currently hold a job not related to translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 21:18
SITE STAFF
Dec 26, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In addition to translation work, do you currently hold a job not related to translation?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:18
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Dec 26, 2016

No need to.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Nope 2 Dec 26, 2016

The very thought of cleaning lavs and doing dishes brings cracks to my nail varnish, daaarlings.

Hope all of you - including Anonymous who is having an 'unpresidented' streak this past fortnight - are having a jolly, festive Crimbo. icon_smile.gif

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 05:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Dec 26, 2016

I started translating part-time and by then I had two jobs, besides being a single mother of 3 kids (or was it because I was a single mother of 3 kids?), but since 1986 translation has been my only job.

@Julian: LOOOOved the “unpresidented”!

Happy Festive Season to you all!

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Dec 26, 2016

Not for many years. I briefly did landscape design as a sideline about 6-8 years ago, but the money I made barely covered the cost of my supplies. Other than that, I've been working at translation exclusively for more decades than I care to admit.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:19
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Dec 26, 2016

I used to, from 1991 to 2013. It was just too long "serving" arrogant bosses and being paid less than I should. I hope I won't have to do that ever again.

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 02:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
The job itself told me to stick to translating Dec 26, 2016

I remember my transition from teaching English as a foreign language to translating. I remember one day, I was on my way to a lesson and a translation client called me up about some changes he wanted me to make to the translation. I had to scurry home as fast as I could after the lesson. After that, I wrapped up my teaching duties and stuck to translating only.

Andrea Diaz
Mexico
Local time: 23:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Executive assistant. Dec 26, 2016

I used to work part-time as an executive assistant while translating. If it was a slow day, I was able to work on my texts for a while. My boss was nice, but I didn't like the job. It was part of the job requirement to wear high heels everyday, and I hated that.

Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:19
French to English
+ ...
I used to Dec 26, 2016

While transitioning to freelance I kept my job as a theatre usher - I had that job for 9 years (it was a casual evening role so I could come back and do it over the holidays while I was still at uni). I only quit 3 months ago - best decision ever, as it had stopped being enjoyable a long time ago. Now I get spend my evenings translating instead (or better yet, clock out and do something else!) rather than battling with people who think it's appropriate to turn up steaming drunk to a performance of Mary Poppins...

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:19
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
How to tell if someone is drunk Dec 27, 2016

OT, of course

Natalie Soper wrote:
....Now I get spend my evenings translating instead (or better yet, clock out and do something else!) rather than battling with people who think it's appropriate to turn up steaming drunk to a performance of Mary Poppins...

If they can't pronounce "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFHXMQP-QU

and the dubbed-into-Japanese version (tee hee icon_biggrin.gif )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBqZT35qDic

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I have, but not currently Dec 28, 2016

When I first started freelance work, for about a year, I continued to wait tables, then for another 5 months, taught elementary Spanish in an after-school program, but then my freelance business took off.
More recently I took on some web development work on the side (also working from home), but it dried up after about 6 months.
ltb1azhnwfp7pttlyhpb.jpg
screenshot
Still from time to time I have taken on interpreting work, too.

[Edited at 2016-12-28 13:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-12-28 13:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In addition to translation work, do you currently hold a job not related to translation?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search