https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/310222-poll_where_do_you_work_most_often.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Where do you work most often?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 28, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where do you work most often?".

This poll was originally submitted by Anthony Baldwin. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:41
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Only at home Dec 28, 2016

in my own private SOHO (small office home office)

I have desktop PCs, not laptops, which means I'm restricted regarding where I can work, anyway, and sometimes contracts with my customers specifically state that I do their work only at my registered work address for security reasons.
This is quite fine with me because I want to completely forget about work when I leave the office and go outside.

Glad we have an actual name to a poll this time. I hope Anonymous<
... See more
in my own private SOHO (small office home office)

I have desktop PCs, not laptops, which means I'm restricted regarding where I can work, anyway, and sometimes contracts with my customers specifically state that I do their work only at my registered work address for security reasons.
This is quite fine with me because I want to completely forget about work when I leave the office and go outside.

Glad we have an actual name to a poll this time. I hope Anonymous has gone on a long holiday.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Home office Dec 28, 2016

To translate I prefer to sit at my desk in my little cozy study , surrounded by dictionaries, encyclopedias and reference books, but for revision/proofreading (my work or others’ work) my long and large dining table will serve as work desk or weather permitting I’ll enjoy my garden table on the terrace…

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 08:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Shared purpose room at home Dec 28, 2016

One corner of my open-plan living room-kitchen is my main "office space". There's a fully-functioning backup PC in the spare room too, but I mostly use that as a radio player...

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
my home office Dec 28, 2016

I have a room where I work, and I work only in that room and that room is only for working (or relaxing with a comfortable armchair and my music)
Now I share it with my 8-year-old son, who does his homework here with me.
But he just uses one of the desks and my old computer.

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
In an office Dec 28, 2016

I sometimes work from office and sometimes from home.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 02:41
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
A translator's home is his castle Dec 28, 2016

I work at my home office. I have one big new computer in front of me and a smaller, older one to the right, both PCs.

I should mention that I keep the door closed-much like the drawbridge of a castle. If visitors/intruders do not have a legitimate reason for entering, they fall into the moat!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Purpose-built office Dec 28, 2016

But increasingly also in my car as I ferry teenagers around their various pursuits.

Forget the Lincoln Lawyer, here's the Toyota Translator.

Although I mostly use the Lamborghini, natch.

[Edited at 2016-12-28 11:24 GMT]

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:41
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Home office and a cafe Dec 28, 2016

Most of the time, I work in my home office, but I take my laptop to a cafe 1-3 times a week for some hours to change the setting around.

KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Russian to German
+ ...
Office away from home Dec 28, 2016

I rent a room at an office I share with another company. Wasn't sure about the investment initially, but couldn't be happier now (and it's been 1.5 years already).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I call it my cage, but the door is always open! Dec 28, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

To translate I prefer to sit at my desk in my little cozy study , surrounded by dictionaries, encyclopedias and reference books…

I prefer the big desktop computer and my good office chair. There are fine views of the sunset at that time of day, and the kitchen is only a few paces away when I need some coffee or company.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
A pleasant thought Dec 28, 2016

Gianluca Marras wrote:

I have a room where I work, and I work only in that room and that room is only for working (or relaxing with a comfortable armchair and my music)
Now I share it with my 8-year-old son, who does his homework here with me.
But he just uses one of the desks and my old computer.

Thanks, Gianluca. I could picture the whole thing and I don't even have children"

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Moat? Dec 28, 2016

Reed James wrote:

I work at my home office. I have one big new computer in front of me and a smaller, older one to the right, both PCs.

I should mention that I keep the door closed-much like the drawbridge of a castle. If visitors/intruders do not have a legitimate reason for entering, they fall into the moat!

A moat with crocodiles, piranhas and the like?

Please say yes!

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pleasant comments Dec 28, 2016

I've enjoyed some of the comments: a translator's home office is his (her) castle is one of my favorites.

Starting last September, I had to adjust my working habits due to the start of my PhD's first semester. Working on translations in my MacBook Pro in my rented university room was a peach. The only thing I couldn't do properly was dictation (using Nuance's program and a crappy headset and mike). Other than that, a chair made comfier with the aid of a cheap 4-euro cushion, music s
... See more
I've enjoyed some of the comments: a translator's home office is his (her) castle is one of my favorites.

Starting last September, I had to adjust my working habits due to the start of my PhD's first semester. Working on translations in my MacBook Pro in my rented university room was a peach. The only thing I couldn't do properly was dictation (using Nuance's program and a crappy headset and mike). Other than that, a chair made comfier with the aid of a cheap 4-euro cushion, music streaming from iTunes and my 17-inch laptop were a pretty good combination, paired (definitely!) with a speedy Internet connection (30-40 MB).

I'm writing these lines from this office now. Wait, now I can't insert pictures?

Come March 2017, however, I'll be back on the road with one of my laptops.

Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Home office in theory Dec 28, 2016

But I'm flexible and adapt to the seasons (my office is too warm in the summer - and right now, I'm getting ready to repaint it).
Frequently I'll start my day in the kitchen. Answering emails after my morning coffee, and then move when I get restless. My home office has a bigger screen and wireless extra keyboards, which is to prefer over my laptop alone, but then again, I don't want to get so comfy I can't pick up and travel while still working at least part of the day. I'll be "on the r
... See more
But I'm flexible and adapt to the seasons (my office is too warm in the summer - and right now, I'm getting ready to repaint it).
Frequently I'll start my day in the kitchen. Answering emails after my morning coffee, and then move when I get restless. My home office has a bigger screen and wireless extra keyboards, which is to prefer over my laptop alone, but then again, I don't want to get so comfy I can't pick up and travel while still working at least part of the day. I'll be "on the road" for at least 7 weeks in 2017, and will only have my laptop and whatever desk I find where I am.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you work most often?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »