Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: To how many countries have you traveled?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:11
German to English
+ ...
An afternoon in Brazil and Morocco Feb 11, 2017

I spent an afternoon in Brazil when I visited Iguaçu and an afternoon in Tetuan in Morocco when I was 10 years old (accompanied by teachers). Does that count? Apart from that I have visited many European countries and a few further afield.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:11
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
9 Feb 11, 2017

But I'm considering 4 countries where I spent only 1 or 2 days, on the way to another countries. If those don't count, the correct number would be 5.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Alexandra Feb 11, 2017

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

Never having left Europe except once, I'm already at 15 or 16.
That's counting independent states such as Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican.
What about the United Kingdom, do we count Scotland, England and Wales separately?
Unfortunately I've never been across the sea to Ireland, where my grandmother came from, or I could maybe have added 2 more.
I'm very much a Central European, I'm afraid .... Iberia and Scandinavia still await me.

You would be surprised how many Germans have never been anywhere else except Mallorca;-)

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
French to English
2 Feb 11, 2017

I haven't travelled much.

expressisverbis

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:11
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hard to say Feb 11, 2017

First of all, I have lived in several countries, do they cound as travels or not? And secondly, I was born in the USSR and travelled to several republics back then but now they are independent countries. Do I count them as countries or not? So, the number of the countries I've visited is between 20 and 30:).

IrinaN

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
18 Feb 12, 2017

16 in Europe, if you want to count Vatican and San Marino then 18.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
A sh**load Feb 16, 2017

I've lived in 5 countries, and spent long periods of my youth backpacking in S. America and SE Asia for long periods at a time. Now that I'm an empty-nester I have plans to travel even more.

hamsterfood7
hamsterfood7
Austria
No more that a week in each country. Oct 18, 2018

Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, Armenia. It all was quite interesting. The very first thing in traveling for me is national cuisine. No offense Europe, but Asia seem the top for me right now. The last country I visited was Armenia. I flew with https://onewaytour.com/ and it was during the cold period of the year. But my impression is quite good... See more
Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, Armenia. It all was quite interesting. The very first thing in traveling for me is national cuisine. No offense Europe, but Asia seem the top for me right now. The last country I visited was Armenia. I flew with https://onewaytour.com/ and it was during the cold period of the year. But my impression is quite good anyway.Collapse

Yiting Li
Yiting Li
China
Countries I have travelled Aug 11, 2021

Asia: China, Korea, Thailand
Aus: Australia, New Zealand
Euro: The UK, Switzerland

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 23:11
English to Russian
+ ...
29 Aug 11, 2021

If I can count Russia, 6 former USSR Republics (3 Baltic states, Belarus and Georgia back in Soviet times, and Ukraine both then and quite recently), and Vatican as a separate state.

Netherlands
Austria
Italy
Germany
Slovakia
Czech Republic
Spain
Belgium
Japan
England
Fiji Island
Aruba
Mexico
Finland
Malta
France
Canada
Turkey
Jamaica
Cayman Islands
Bulgaria
... See more
If I can count Russia, 6 former USSR Republics (3 Baltic states, Belarus and Georgia back in Soviet times, and Ukraine both then and quite recently), and Vatican as a separate state.

Netherlands
Austria
Italy
Germany
Slovakia
Czech Republic
Spain
Belgium
Japan
England
Fiji Island
Aruba
Mexico
Finland
Malta
France
Canada
Turkey
Jamaica
Cayman Islands
Bulgaria
Switzerland

Landed in New Zealand for 3 hours:-)

Darn, no Australia and Africa yet!!! And Greece! The world is too big but I mustn't die before seeing more of it. I'm focused on Triple A now - Australia, Asia and Africa. Corona stole my South African trip last year...

[Edited at 2021-08-12 00:23 GMT]
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
been in 7 countries, besides my own Aug 12, 2021

A couple short crossings into Canada (Niagara Falls was one of them!)
Mexico
Guatemala
El Salvador
Ecuador
Colombia
Fuel stop in Panama, but we didn´t even get to leave the airplane

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Just a few Aug 13, 2021

For more than a day: Brazil, England, Portugal, Argentina (so they say - I was too young to know)
Others: Netherlands (Schiphol Airport for some 8 hours), Germany (4 hours in Frankfürt-an-der-Main airport, 2 hours in München), Wales (a few hours in Caerdydd as an away supporter at a Cardiff x Crewe match, a day trip to Wrexham, and 10 minutes every day while on teaching practice in St Martin's*), Spain (a few hours in Vigo as a stop in my journey to Brazuil by ship in 1960), Belgium (3 h
... See more
For more than a day: Brazil, England, Portugal, Argentina (so they say - I was too young to know)
Others: Netherlands (Schiphol Airport for some 8 hours), Germany (4 hours in Frankfürt-an-der-Main airport, 2 hours in München), Wales (a few hours in Caerdydd as an away supporter at a Cardiff x Crewe match, a day trip to Wrexham, and 10 minutes every day while on teaching practice in St Martin's*), Spain (a few hours in Vigo as a stop in my journey to Brazuil by ship in 1960), Belgium (3 hours as a connection on a GRU/BRU/BHX flight)
(*) On my way to placement, the road entered Wales for about a mile and then back into England. You could actually see 'Croeso y Gymru' and 'Welcome to England' at the same time along this road. (A495 Ellesmere Road)
The next country on my wish list is Slovenia.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:11
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Visited or lived in - 18 Aug 13, 2021

USA, Mexico, Luxembourg, France, England, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Sweden, Belgium, Slovenia, Germany, Switzerland, Finland, Spain, Portugal, Morocco.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not that many Aug 13, 2021

I gave up flying some years ago when I became aware of how harmful it is for the environment. Since then, I have stayed close to home. If I can't get there by train I just don't go.

Still, I have had some wonderful experiences getting to know my own country and its near neighbours. You don't have to travel to the other side of the world to broaden your horizons.

Tom in London

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Brazil Aug 13, 2021

Rachel, I am sure you would like Brazil but alas - flying is the only way (unless you come on a cruise).
Brazil has no passenger trains at all (except commuter services and two privately owned lines), imagine Beeching 100 times worse. Like New Street or Lime Street being closed... (Campinas is about the size of Brum, and no station)
The bus is the way here. Most are comfortable and some have air conditioning. The Leito Cama (sleeper) of Viação 1001 between SP and Rio is wonderful,
... See more
Rachel, I am sure you would like Brazil but alas - flying is the only way (unless you come on a cruise).
Brazil has no passenger trains at all (except commuter services and two privately owned lines), imagine Beeching 100 times worse. Like New Street or Lime Street being closed... (Campinas is about the size of Brum, and no station)
The bus is the way here. Most are comfortable and some have air conditioning. The Leito Cama (sleeper) of Viação 1001 between SP and Rio is wonderful, they even brought (in non-pandemic days) biscuits, coffee and a blanket.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: To how many countries have you traveled?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »