Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: To how many countries have you traveled?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 11, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "To how many countries have you traveled?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:01
Member (2006)
German to English
This is also a pointless poll Feb 11, 2017

but I will go along with it.

As an adult, about 20, including travelling as a child, about 30and there are no alternative facts there:-)

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
1-5 Feb 11, 2017

France, Denmark, Russia, Spain and, last but not least, England.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Europeans should come out top Feb 11, 2017

Never having left Europe except once, I'm already at 15 or 16.
That's counting independent states such as Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican.
What about the United Kingdom, do we count Scotland, England and Wales separately?
Unfortunately I've never been across the sea to Ireland, where my grandmother came from, or I could maybe have added 2 more.
I'm very much a Central European, I'm afraid .... Iberia and Scandinavia still await me.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Not a clear-cut question Feb 11, 2017

Does just passing through or making a short day-trip there count as travelling in the country? I think travel agents would say no. What about countries that split in the meantime? As a child, I went to Yugoslavia with my parents several times, but today, some of it would be Croatia and some Slovenia and maybe others (I don't remember all the exact places, it was up to 50 years ago).

Kay Denney

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Definitely unclear Feb 11, 2017

My shortest "stay" in a country was in Portugal, switching flights. Never left the airport transit area. Total permanence, 45 minutes. Indeed, I flew "TO" Portugal, my ticket showed it, used different airlines in & out. Should I add it?

No? All right! Once I had a two-hour flight stop in Panama. They evacuated the plane, cleaned it up, changed the crew. But then I boarded the very same plane, same seat. Yet my ticket did not show a stop in there. Does it count?

Where d
... See more
My shortest "stay" in a country was in Portugal, switching flights. Never left the airport transit area. Total permanence, 45 minutes. Indeed, I flew "TO" Portugal, my ticket showed it, used different airlines in & out. Should I add it?

No? All right! Once I had a two-hour flight stop in Panama. They evacuated the plane, cleaned it up, changed the crew. But then I boarded the very same plane, same seat. Yet my ticket did not show a stop in there. Does it count?

Where does one draw the line?

I went to the USA about 15~18 times over several years. Total accrued stay so far is about two years. Visited a total of 11 states where I did things, went places. Had plane stopovers/changes in 3 or 4 more. How should that count?

Perhaps a better question here would be, "How many countries have you ever VISITED?"

Forgot to mention having also traveled to, and having stayed for days in Canada, Argentina, Paraguay, England, Israel, Italy, and Switzerland.

P.S.: For an European, it should be easy to think, "Well, I merely drove through Monaco, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, and San Marino. This should add four more countries to my list."

[Edited at 2017-02-11 13:20 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Ops just forgot San Marino and Vatican :) Feb 11, 2017

Do they count for me? (I am Italian)

If they count 15, if not 13 (mostly Europe) + Tunisia and USA

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Over 30 Feb 11, 2017

For many years, I used to travel a lot (at least every Summer and during Easter), so I visited over 30 countries: all Western and Central European countries + some African countries (Angola, Egypt, Guinea, Morocco and Niger) and two American countries (USA and Brazil). I've been dreaming of the White Nights in St. Petersburg for some time, maybe this June...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Over 30 Feb 11, 2017

All the Latin American countries except Paraguay and many in Europe. Also Japan (4 times) and Singapore.

Before the Internet, it was part of my job with the Organization of American States and the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization to work at conferences as a translator, reviser, or précis writer. Prior to that, I traveled with my father, a sea captain whose regular route took him to ports in the Mediterranean. I also traveled with my husband on business.... See more
All the Latin American countries except Paraguay and many in Europe. Also Japan (4 times) and Singapore.

Before the Internet, it was part of my job with the Organization of American States and the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization to work at conferences as a translator, reviser, or précis writer. Prior to that, I traveled with my father, a sea captain whose regular route took him to ports in the Mediterranean. I also traveled with my husband on business.

Paid-for travel for pleasure accounts for less than 10% of my journeys.
Collapse

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:01
English to Russian
+ ...
16 so far Feb 11, 2017

Switch flights are not counted. I also do not count Kazakhstan, where I stayed around 40 minutes near the border just for the purpose of crossing it to renew my registration in Russia.

The countries I traveled to include: Russia (7 years in total), Nigeria (over 1 year stay), Egypt, UAE, Turkey, India, Iran, Singapore, Malaysia, Slovenia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Italy, Israel.

I am looking to adding Georgia to this list soon.

Each of them is
... See more
Switch flights are not counted. I also do not count Kazakhstan, where I stayed around 40 minutes near the border just for the purpose of crossing it to renew my registration in Russia.

The countries I traveled to include: Russia (7 years in total), Nigeria (over 1 year stay), Egypt, UAE, Turkey, India, Iran, Singapore, Malaysia, Slovenia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Italy, Israel.

I am looking to adding Georgia to this list soon.

Each of them is a treasure of memories dear to me.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Over 30 Feb 11, 2017

I've traveled to about 90% of the European countries, including Iceland (to some of them more than 10 times or so). I've been to all of the 50 US states (to about 16 of them 20+ times), to 3 Canadian provinces, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Panamá, Trinidad & Tobago, to South Africa, Kenya, Tunisia and Mauritius. On the eastern side of the globe I've been to Russia, China, Hong Kong and Macao (before they were returned to China), Thailand and Indonesia, as well as to Turkey and Israel.
... See more
I've traveled to about 90% of the European countries, including Iceland (to some of them more than 10 times or so). I've been to all of the 50 US states (to about 16 of them 20+ times), to 3 Canadian provinces, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Panamá, Trinidad & Tobago, to South Africa, Kenya, Tunisia and Mauritius. On the eastern side of the globe I've been to Russia, China, Hong Kong and Macao (before they were returned to China), Thailand and Indonesia, as well as to Turkey and Israel.

Presently I'm trying to visit the remaining 10% of Europe, planning a trip to Argentina and Perú, and will hopefully make it "Down-under" next year.
Collapse

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
98 Feb 11, 2017

My plan was to visit all (196?), but I'm beginning to realize that will probably never happen(
Among my favourites: Ghana, Italy, Syria, Vietnam, Argentina and Vanuatu.
Least favourites: Israel and ....
That's just based on my own experience at the time.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Well worth it Feb 11, 2017

Teresa Borges wrote:

I've been dreaming of the White Nights in St. Petersburg for some time, maybe this June...

You will enjoy St. Petersburg. It's a beautiful city with lots of things to explore, where you will meet history every step of the way.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Around 20? Feb 11, 2017

Assuming that Wales/Northern Ireland are part of the UK and not including stopover flights where I haven't left the airport...

Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy (+Vatican), Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Greece, Turkey, South Africa, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Bolivia, USA, Canada, and St Kitts...And apparently Australia, but I was about 3 at the time and can't remember any of it, so we won't count that.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
20 and counting... Feb 11, 2017

Even without quibbling over the national status of England, Scotland, Wales, Jersey and Guernsey which I'll lump together as "GB", I've visited the following 20 countries and lived/worked in the 6 in bold type long enough to get a resident’s ID card:
In Europe: GB, IE, BE, FR, LU, NL, IT, CH, DE, AT, ES, PT
In North America: US
In Central America: GT, HN, SV
In South America: CL, AR, BR
In Asia: JP

Hmmm…. I�
... See more
Even without quibbling over the national status of England, Scotland, Wales, Jersey and Guernsey which I'll lump together as "GB", I've visited the following 20 countries and lived/worked in the 6 in bold type long enough to get a resident’s ID card:
In Europe: GB, IE, BE, FR, LU, NL, IT, CH, DE, AT, ES, PT
In North America: US
In Central America: GT, HN, SV
In South America: CL, AR, BR
In Asia: JP

Hmmm…. I’ve lived in Chile for the past 15 years – time to move on, perhaps!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: To how many countries have you traveled?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »