Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How would you like to be paid for review or proofreading jobs?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:40
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
By word Feb 22, 2017

I prefer charging by word, because I don't like having to keep a record of how long I'm spending. I usually charge a rate that means I'm earning quite a bit higher than my normal hourly average if the translation is excellent and I can fly through it, but am still earning well if more edits are needed. I have one client who insists that I charge by hour and always massively underestimates how long it will take, and it drives me mad having to get them to agree to pay for more hours for every job.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:40
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
It really depends Feb 22, 2017

It depends on the client and the translator. Sometimes I am lucky to proofread translations done by very good translators, and I do not mind being paid by word, for short texts I prefer lump sums. When editing is required, I charge per hour. But I usually agree on the terms in advance because I never accept editing jobs without having a look at translations first.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:40
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fixed rate, but no thanks Feb 23, 2017

My revision rate is 50% of my translation rate. But I rarely ever accept revision jobs. Only when I really don't have any translations to do. So in 2016, for example, revisions represented less than 3% of my jobs, and only for regular clients.

AlbaLTD
AlbaLTD  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Time-tracking reports will become an industry standard Feb 23, 2017

No wonder that only 8.6% voted for time-tracking reports. Most colleagues prefer to be paid as much as they ask or to never accept revision/proofreading jobs at all... It was almost the same with CAT-tools some time ago. Many translators refused to accept repetition discounts and now this is an industry standard.

Anyway clients need someone to do this part of the job and if we speak about agencies their budget is always limited by what the end clients pays. So I think that using tim
... See more
No wonder that only 8.6% voted for time-tracking reports. Most colleagues prefer to be paid as much as they ask or to never accept revision/proofreading jobs at all... It was almost the same with CAT-tools some time ago. Many translators refused to accept repetition discounts and now this is an industry standard.

Anyway clients need someone to do this part of the job and if we speak about agencies their budget is always limited by what the end clients pays. So I think that using time-tracking "spyware" is the best possible compromise between being paid per word (and thus as much as your client wants, no matter what the quality of translation is) and being paid per hour based on declared time spent (and thus as much as you want).
Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 11:40
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Trust is currency Feb 23, 2017

I'm quite astounded by AlbaLTD's answer. Fortunately I do not live in a society where everybody distrusts everybody and you assume people try to screw you. Generally I undercharge when I charge by the hour, because I subtract any break, including bathroom breaks (something I wouldn't do in a salaried position), and most translators I've worked with are the same.
Not accepting spyware on my computer is a basic human liberty.
And are you not struck by the paradox of not trusting a tr
... See more
I'm quite astounded by AlbaLTD's answer. Fortunately I do not live in a society where everybody distrusts everybody and you assume people try to screw you. Generally I undercharge when I charge by the hour, because I subtract any break, including bathroom breaks (something I wouldn't do in a salaried position), and most translators I've worked with are the same.
Not accepting spyware on my computer is a basic human liberty.
And are you not struck by the paradox of not trusting a translator's self-reported hours, but trusting alien spyware that tracks you, without being able to control in anyway how the information is stored and used later?

[Edited at 2017-02-23 16:33 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How would you like to be paid for review or proofreading jobs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »