Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Does your "translator's eye" make it difficult to enjoy subtitled movies?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:48
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Not a fan of dubbing either Mar 2, 2017

Nilton Junior wrote:

I live in Brazil and stopped going to the movies because the nearest ones only have dubbed movies these days.

I am not a movie enthusiast, but I unconsciously picked up the habit of going to the movies whenever I travel abroad. Last time was in Amsterdam.

I was once in Brazil (with much trouble communicating with anyone) and I thought I'd kill time by going to the cinema. The only film in English (subtitled in Portuguese) was The sixth sense. I still remember the huge sign on the front of the theatre that read "Bruce Willins".

Other than that, yes, I tend to read subtitles even if I don't need to, but doing so doesn't bother me.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:48
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
A combination Mar 2, 2017

To enjoy a movie, I always prefer a subtitled one, no matter its original language.

But I must confess sometimes I like to watch dubbed movies/shows WITH subtitle. This way I also learn a lot about adapting a same message to different conversational channels. It's interesting to see sometimes how a same idea is expressed using completely different "way outs". And don't mean errors or any kinds of issues. I'm talking about spoken and written realms.

I also like to watch
... See more
To enjoy a movie, I always prefer a subtitled one, no matter its original language.

But I must confess sometimes I like to watch dubbed movies/shows WITH subtitle. This way I also learn a lot about adapting a same message to different conversational channels. It's interesting to see sometimes how a same idea is expressed using completely different "way outs". And don't mean errors or any kinds of issues. I'm talking about spoken and written realms.

I also like to watch English-spoken movies with Spanish subtitle (or vice-versa), my 2 source languages.
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Closed captions Mar 2, 2017

Christine Andersen wrote:
I make use of the subtitles for the deaf when watching German films - my school German does not always catch spoken dialect, and being able to read it enables me to understand it.

Yes, those are wonderful, aren't they. I can read English okay, but some ways of speaking English are just beyond me ... and the same for a few other languages.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I love the adjectives for the music... Mar 2, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:

Christine Andersen wrote:
I make use of the subtitles for the deaf when watching German films - my school German does not always catch spoken dialect, and being able to read it enables me to understand it.

Yes, those are wonderful, aren't they. I can read English okay, but some ways of speaking English are just beyond me ... and the same for a few other languages.

They explain all the sounds, and I am always impressed by how many adjectives can be used about the background music!

Handy klingelt... Es klopft and die Tur... traurige Musik (oder spannende, romantische, gespannt, und so weiter!)

What really drives me mad is the Danish commentary (in Danish) for the blind, while I am trying to hear the dialogue in any language. It is sometimes machine generated, I think, so the Danish pronunciation may be distinctly odd, and names in any other language are a serious distraction. I can't understand anyone actually using it to follow a film.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:48
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Yes Mar 2, 2017

Finally, a subtitling-related poll

Yes, I can't enjoy movies subtitled in Russian unless the translation is of exceptional quality. This is precisely why I watch only English-subtitled productions.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:48
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Depends Mar 2, 2017

I grew up in the Soviet Union, where most foreign movies were dubbed. I must admit, it was done really professionally with excellent voice over artists. After I moved to Denmark I discovered that in Scandinavia they do not use dubbing, only subtitling. In the beginning English subtitles came very useful. Now we live in Australia, and I enjoy watching movies with Danish subtitles where it is possible. Actually, looking forward to the presentation on Nordic model of subtitling at FIT2017 in Brisba... See more
I grew up in the Soviet Union, where most foreign movies were dubbed. I must admit, it was done really professionally with excellent voice over artists. After I moved to Denmark I discovered that in Scandinavia they do not use dubbing, only subtitling. In the beginning English subtitles came very useful. Now we live in Australia, and I enjoy watching movies with Danish subtitles where it is possible. Actually, looking forward to the presentation on Nordic model of subtitling at FIT2017 in Brisbane.Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Totally agree Mar 2, 2017

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Platon Danilov wrote:

I think yes, but not because of "translator's eye". I find subtitles themselves are rather distracting. A good voiceover is better, except a few justified cases, like the film "Human" by Yann Arthus-Bertrand.

How funny - I couldn't disagree more! I am with Muriel and prefer subtitles to dubbing any time.
I stop watching when a voiceover or dubbing is used to convey more than a couple of sentences in an interview.

I reckon this is probably just a matter of what you are used to - dubbing and voiceover are rare in the Netherlands, where subtitles are the norm.
In Brazil it is the reverse, and it always annoyed me when I used to live there.

Because subtitles are mostly used with English and sometimes German, I don't tend to read them and am not usually distracted or annoyed by them.

I grew up with subtitles, and though they may be distracting at times, the added value of getting two takes on the text - the original and the translated version - is priceless.
I also find that I pick up languages in the process. At the end a Netflix series in Icelandic, I barely needed the subtitles to get the gist of the dialogue, and being exposed to Latin American films certainly has done wonders for my Spanish comprehension.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:48
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Mar 2, 2017

Not because the subtitles bother me, but because in Brazil the quality of the subtitls is very very bad. I pitty those who don't speak English and like movies in Brazil, because they miss the meanings, the jokes, etc. or worse: they get the wrong meaning because the subtitle is mistranslated.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Also used to subtitles here... Mar 3, 2017

For me watching a dubbed show seems kind of fake, but perhaps it's not like that for the people who are used to it or grew up with it.

Isn't the actor's genuine voice a part of the whole thing, the tone, etc? It can be confusing for the audience, it may also mess the script concept, IMO.

On topic, I don't really pay attention to the quality of subtitles, just try to enjoy the show (not watching TV much though). I spend enough time checking the quality of translations in
... See more
For me watching a dubbed show seems kind of fake, but perhaps it's not like that for the people who are used to it or grew up with it.

Isn't the actor's genuine voice a part of the whole thing, the tone, etc? It can be confusing for the audience, it may also mess the script concept, IMO.

On topic, I don't really pay attention to the quality of subtitles, just try to enjoy the show (not watching TV much though). I spend enough time checking the quality of translations in my professional arena, don't really have to do it/don't feel like doing it during my time off or in personal life.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your "translator's eye" make it difficult to enjoy subtitled movies?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »