Poll: Which running event would be your preferred choice at the "Translation Olympics"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 11:46
SITE STAFF
Jul 23

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which running event would be your preferred choice at the "Translation Olympics"?".

This poll was originally submitted by R-i-c-h-a-r-d. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
100m sprint Jul 23

To get it all over with ASAP...

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:46
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
3000 m Jul 23

Mid-size, with some expected obstacles. The short ones are not very profitable, even if you have many of them, because all the controls/invoicing/etc. are the same multiplied by many. The big ones are ok, but require more planning and may force you to refuse jobs from regular clients, unless you have a flexible or far-away deadline.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:46
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Marathon Jul 23

That's the kind of work I do best. Better if the deadlines are not too tight, and of course they have to pay well. So far I've had 3 jobs this year of around 100 pages each.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 19:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 23

Running coaches say that a good way of training for the next marathon is doing a few sprints in between. Following the analogy, that’s what I’ve been doing…

P.S. Hurdles and steeplechase are definitely not my choice!

[Edited at 2017-07-23 09:24 GMT]

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
other Jul 23

5000 m interspersed with 3 naps

Texte Style
French to English
marathon and sprint Jul 23

One big job so I know I have plenty of work, with a cool deadline that lets me slip in smaller jobs for a bit of variety.

That's definitely the way I manage the best productivity, and I feel good about my work when I don't have too many little bits to juggle but don't just have the one huge slog.

R-i-c-h-a-r-d  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:46
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Fast turnaround, Proz... Jul 23

I posted this at least five years ago, perhaps around the London 2012 Olympics?

Glad to see Proz not taking their polls too seriously - it's just a silly bit of fun. Take care, folks.

Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:46
Member (2014)
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Jul 24

I do not prefer running in translation.

However, if I were a visitor to such "Translation Olympics", I would prefer 100m. But it seems more like interpreting...

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Steeple Jul 24

Flat is boring.

Philippe

Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Running is not a good metaphor for translation: I'd rather do the Discus throw Jul 25

To hurl a cultural object to a far away place--and make sure it's intact in meaning and form when it reaches its target.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which running event would be your preferred choice at the "Translation Olympics"?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search