Poll: Does the observance of local holidays interfere with your work with your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:54
SITE STAFF
Aug 8

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does the observance of local holidays interfere with your work with your clients?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not at all! Aug 8

If I have work to do I don't observe local holidays...

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:54
Member (2006)
German to English
Holidays? Aug 8

We are self-employed, we plan ahead -or at least we should. If anyone else is having holidays and you do not want to, then why should you?

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Their local holidays, not mine! Aug 8

Occasionally, holidays in my clients' countries can cause (minor) problems. Their offices are closed for Ascension Day, and so on, and they can't be contacted.
Public holidays in the UK don't interfere with my work - I take the day off or not according to my professional and/or personal plans.

Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Not at all x 2 Aug 8

Teresa Borges wrote:

If I have work to do I don't observe local holidays...

The same applies to me.

ISABELLE MEURVILLE
France
Member (2005)
English to French
It does interfer POSITIVELY Aug 8

Quite a lot of work comes in when working during local holidays, either my country's or others'. Being available when colleagues are not is a marketing advantage!

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm happy if they're on holiday Aug 8

...more time for me to work on their project.

Romina Eva Pérez Escorihuela
Argentina
Local time: 10:54
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely! Aug 8

I work mostly as a conference interpreter, and in summer down here (December to March) the amount of work decreases considerably. I like to travel in February and March, so I don't bother. I also invest this time to plan my marketing activities for the year, among other administrative tasks...

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
No Aug 8

it depends, sometimes my local holidays give the chance to work on days when nobody is going to interrupt you.
Interfere? actually no, if I know that it is a special holiday and I can do something with my family I just plan it ahead, but I keep an eye on my email so I can reply to clients if they contact me.
So at the end of the day, the answer is no, there is no interference

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:54
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Aug 8

Holidays are not mandatry for freelancers in my country. And I doubt it is in any country, except, maybe, North Korea. Or perhaps I didn't understand the question, but holidays and weekends, as well as working hours, do not apply to most translators. We work when we have work to do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does the observance of local holidays interfere with your work with your clients?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search