Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Is there a skill you would like to learn that would enhance your translation/interpreting services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 16:37
SITE STAFF
Aug 21

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is there a skill you would like to learn that would enhance your translation/interpreting services?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, but only theoretically :-)) Aug 21

Theoretically, I would like to be a perfect oral interpreter and proficient in DCP services.

Natalia Pedrosa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:37
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
DTP Aug 21

It's in high demand ever since I've been a translator 10 years back and I still haven't managed to get to it.

Cheers!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 00:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Aug 21

I would love to be more tech savvy...

Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:37
French to English
+ ...
Seconded - DTP! Aug 21

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

It's in high demand ever since I've been a translator 10 years back and I still haven't managed to get to it.

Cheers!

Same. I'd like to learn a bit about InDesign or Photoshop.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Aug 21

I would like to attend vocational training in my main and peripheral areas of expertise to learn more. The extra knowledge gained would make me stand out - hopefully, even more - above the competition and I would more likely become the first choice translator for more of my customers.
You can't get that by becoming more skillful in using translation tools. A firm command of the content you are translating wins hands down. IMHO

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Yes Aug 21

(More) updated training about my working fields.
More IT-specific skills related to the translation field.

A neverending need

Vuka  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Transcending the identity misconception Aug 21

My specializations are focused around social epidemiology which is, from the part of majority of linguists, taken as some sort of bioterrorism.
In ProZ algorithm it's additionaly schizophrenic because it includes biostatistics (which is maths), sociology and social psychology (which is humanities), informed artivism (which is advertizing as much as arts) and healthcare politics (which is as much medicine, as it is politics). And yet, it's a very exact specific field. So I wish I could learn how to override this major misunderstanding.

[Edited at 2017-08-21 11:02 GMT]

Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 02:37
English to Arabic
+ ...
A general diploma in translation Aug 21

I studied science and languages separately. I have been working mainly as scientific and technical translator for years in parallel with other jobs, now I am a translator only. However, some clients/applications requirements are still looking for more in my CV, that is "education in translation".

Joana Neves
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:37
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
I need to focus on... Aug 21

Subtitling!

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
Not any more Aug 21

But if I were at least 10 years older, there would be some subjects.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Aug 21

lots, and I am working on it.

Cristina Gonzalez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:37
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
simultaneous interpretation Aug 21

I work both as a translator and interpreter, and I do need to learn this skill, as it would give me access to more jobs.

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Aug 21

All I know about finance and financial translation, I have read or learned in webinars. I have not studied it. Now, I would like learn more about Forex trade - not just the terminology but also the meaning and the background behind it.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Aug 21

Yes, we are all learning for as long as we live, and always learning new things professionally for as long as we are working. It's very immodest, IMO, to answer "no" to this question.
My next intended learning is to use all features of my CAT. I know many of them, but I know it has several other ones I never used. But I'll still be learning something new at every job, anyway.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is there a skill you would like to learn that would enhance your translation/interpreting services?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search