Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use a special or especially expensive keyboard for work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:13
English to Italian
no Sep 27, 2017

just a standard keyboard for IMAC.
not cheap.. but nothing special

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:13
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I even bought two, but... Sep 27, 2017

I tried an expensive Microsoft wireless ergometric keyboard. It wasn't bad, but wireless keyboards and mouses always have interference issues, since my computer sits on a shelf under the table.
But I'm planning on buying a mechanical keyboard. I tried one, but it was no good. I don't need colored lights and noisy clicks. I just need the mechanical keyboard without the "ornaments". When I find a good one, I'll try it.

Joop Debrabandere
Joop Debrabandere  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
Cherry mechanical Sep 27, 2017

I use a cherry mechanical keyboard.
With the keyboard I can type faster and with fewer errors than with most cheap keyboards you get in most shops.
I bought the keyboard on the internet for 144 Euros. Worth the investment.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Tried cherry mechanical but did not like it Sep 27, 2017

I tried a cherry mechanical switch keyboard for a while but went back to a good membrane kb, providing a tactile feedback similar to switches. The switch noise was disturbing me in 2 ways: when I was listening to music in the background and, more importantly, because I had the impression that some people in the house had a tendency to start talking to me as soon as they would hear me typing, even if not in the same room.

Back to silence, I am much happier now.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:13
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
It doesn't need to be expensive Sep 27, 2017

I always work with the same external QWERTY keyboard model. And I have 3 of them: one on my desk, one in my backpack for trips and cafes (yes, I use an external keyboard when I work in a cafe, and some laugh of it) and one in my parent's house to use when I visit them.

It's not expensive. Actually, it's the cheapest model from Microsoft: wired 200.

I love it and using the same design is perfect to speed up my work.

Danilo Miranda
Danilo Miranda
Spain
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Brazilian standard Sep 27, 2017

Nilton Junior wrote:

I have been using a mechanical keyboard (brown switches) for the past 3 years and I couldn't be any happier. The only downside is that full-sized keyboards that follow the Brazilian standard are limited to a few options, so it is not like I had much of a choice.

My wrists would usually kill me after several long days of work in a row before the current keyboard, but now I barely feel anything. Over the years, I learned it pays off to spend more in items you use constantly. My monitor, keyboard, mouse and office chair were all worth their superior price ranges.

[Quick side note: expensive does not always equal good. Make sure to do your research]

Nice Nilton, I have been searching for a keyboard to write in Portuguese but I have not taken a decision yet. Is your keyboard a Brazilian one? I read somewhere that it was better to buy an international keyboard and then configure it to your own language. Maybe your option would fit me.

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:13
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Danilo Sep 27, 2017

Danilo Miranda wrote:

Nilton Junior wrote:

I have been using a mechanical keyboard (brown switches) for the past 3 years and I couldn't be any happier. The only downside is that full-sized keyboards that follow the Brazilian standard are limited to a few options, so it is not like I had much of a choice.

My wrists would usually kill me after several long days of work in a row before the current keyboard, but now I barely feel anything. Over the years, I learned it pays off to spend more in items you use constantly. My monitor, keyboard, mouse and office chair were all worth their superior price ranges.

[Quick side note: expensive does not always equal good. Make sure to do your research]

Nice Nilton, I have been searching for a keyboard to write in Portuguese but I have not taken a decision yet. Is your keyboard a Brazilian one? I read somewhere that it was better to buy an international keyboard and then configure it to your own language. Maybe your option would fit me.

Yes, my keyboard is Brazilian. I am presently in Portugal and even brought it with me.

Since you live in Spain, wouldn't it be cheaper for you to look for an European Portuguese keyboard? Maybe you can find something you like at www.pcdiga.com.

I am a touch-typist and find it easy to use an international keyboard virtually mapped to cover Portuguese characters, but I still like the bigger Enter/Return key Brazilian keyboards have.

Miyoung Park
Miyoung Park  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 06:13
English to Korean
washable keyboard Sep 27, 2017

Axelle H. wrote:

Because it must be waterproof ( coffee, water etc..), not sure to find THE one I need

Consider buying Logitech Washable Keyboard. It is waterproof and you can literally wash it in the water.

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:13
German to Lithuanian
yes, Cherry G80-3000 with Cherry MX black switches Sep 27, 2017

found a used one on ebay for only 54 eur. I assume, around 20 years old, because it has Windows 95 keys and a PS/2 connector.
Before that I bought a new Corsair K63 mechanical gaming keyboard (85 eur), but it is not as good as the Cherry G80-3000, it's intended not for work, rather for gaming.
The whole Cherry keyboard feels like a living organism, every keystroke is a joy.
I wanted to buy the new Cherry MX board silent (150 eur), but they don't sell it in Europe yet, only in
... See more
found a used one on ebay for only 54 eur. I assume, around 20 years old, because it has Windows 95 keys and a PS/2 connector.
Before that I bought a new Corsair K63 mechanical gaming keyboard (85 eur), but it is not as good as the Cherry G80-3000, it's intended not for work, rather for gaming.
The whole Cherry keyboard feels like a living organism, every keystroke is a joy.
I wanted to buy the new Cherry MX board silent (150 eur), but they don't sell it in Europe yet, only in the USA.
But I'm glad, I found the old one, now I have some history under my fingers.
Collapse

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bog standard HP qwerty Sep 27, 2017

I use a very ordinary HP keyboard - but it is right for me, the right degree of resistance from the keys, the right clickety-clack sound.

Like Helen I use Windows multiple keyboard layout facility, and have Swedish, German and French layout available when I need it, in addition to English. I had a look at Eurokey but this wouldn't suit me now that I have learnt to find my way moderately well around the keyboards of the other languages. Silly things happen sometimes though, like wh
... See more
I use a very ordinary HP keyboard - but it is right for me, the right degree of resistance from the keys, the right clickety-clack sound.

Like Helen I use Windows multiple keyboard layout facility, and have Swedish, German and French layout available when I need it, in addition to English. I had a look at Eurokey but this wouldn't suit me now that I have learnt to find my way moderately well around the keyboards of the other languages. Silly things happen sometimes though, like when I have forgotten to switch out of the Swedish keyboard and get an Ä in my face when I expected an @ in the email address I was putting in.
Collapse

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:13
German to English
Nice to see so many fans of Cherry Sep 27, 2017

Because of the tactile input and _feedback_, my preference goes to the G83. In Germany, I could get them for EUR 10-15 and they last about ten years. Here in the US, I just had to get some replacements. (For a couple of years, I had bee working with an unacceptable soft-touch/low-noise standard keyboard from HP...no tactile feedback, so duplicate keystrokes were a not-uncommon nuisance.) Contacted the US VAR, but they tried to steer me towards their $100 models (especially with the QWERTZ layout... See more
Because of the tactile input and _feedback_, my preference goes to the G83. In Germany, I could get them for EUR 10-15 and they last about ten years. Here in the US, I just had to get some replacements. (For a couple of years, I had bee working with an unacceptable soft-touch/low-noise standard keyboard from HP...no tactile feedback, so duplicate keystrokes were a not-uncommon nuisance.) Contacted the US VAR, but they tried to steer me towards their $100 models (especially with the QWERTZ layout). When I checked Amazon, I found a bunch of G83-QWERTZ for about USD 23 each (some Swiss, but the keytops can be replaced with German keytops...doesn't matter to the operating system, as long as the keys for special characters and layout are there).

Now, if we could just get the software programmers to understand the basic rule of data entry/word processing: Never Take Your Fingers Off The Keyboard! At one point, I figured that reaching for the mouse (such as for Powerpoint files or the Trados Studio interface) reduces my income by EUR 5.00 per hour, because of the need to "re-home" that hand.
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Yes Sep 27, 2017

Super ergonomic keyboard (I use it at max. height and almost fully spread):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiRmAT-1sPA

-- plus (to the left of the keyboard) a gaming keypad:... See more
Super ergonomic keyboard (I use it at max. height and almost fully spread):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiRmAT-1sPA

-- plus (to the left of the keyboard) a gaming keypad:
https://www2.razerzone.com/au-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-nostromo

-- plus (even further to the left) a cheap numeric keypad

[Edited at 2017-09-28 06:29 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Kind of Jan 19, 2018

I don't buy an extra keyboard, but the shape of the keys is one of the key reasons I buy Lenovo laptops.
I once tried to switch to HP and the amount of typos increased exponentially from sliding off the keys.
I also like keys to be backlit.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a special or especially expensive keyboard for work?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »