Poll: Do you take part in a continuing education/development program?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 06:54
SITE STAFF
Oct 19

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you take part in a continuing education/development program?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No - too late Oct 19

This old dog learned her last tricks a long time ago.

Of course, I learn as I go from every new job, but it's too late for any formal education or training in translation.

I've been studying ornamental horticulture on the side for 7 years, but that doesn't count.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Not in the sense implied here ... Oct 19

... but life is a continuing education/development programme, whether you think you're taking part in it or not.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Oct 19

If the course is affordable, seems interesting and I’m available… The last one was a one-week summer course on new words at the Lisbon New University (College of Social and Human Sciences) I took in July.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:54
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not as much as I used to... Oct 19

Since I passed my diploma, I have only taken two extended programmes, but I have attended a couple of one-day sessions each year after that.

I now feel I have covered the ground on many of them, either because I have been before, or because I have often found that time and money are better spent on reading up at home than travelling a long way for a short session.

But I do consider it important to keep up with developments one way or another.

Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No, but also yes Oct 19

I said no - but of course I do take part in the continuing education/development program that is called "life".

Hi Jenny - I didn't see your contribution - snap!

[Edited at 2017-10-19 09:07 GMT]

Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No, but also yes Oct 19

I said no - but of course I do take part in the continuing education/development program that is called "life".

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Oct 19

I seriously don't know where I would find the time. I don't think I've even managed to read a book for leisure this year, never mind attending training courses or the like.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:54
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Not per se Oct 19

Assuming that the question implies a 'formal' program...

Formal? - No
However, it would be fantastic to go back to college for a year and earn a Masters. The thought of being surrounded by all those pretty young things and tapping into cheap beer and living on the cheap for a change is very alluring.

Informal? - Yes
One thing that college taught me was how to learn by myself and be resourceful. I am always pushing myself and am not satisfied with the status quo. It's like an itch when I find something I don't know when I translate. However, it's an itch I can scratch since the web is literally at my fingertips and I know enough to get me out of tricky translation situations.

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
"Program" is too big a word Oct 19

But even just before retirement, I do take some lessons.

Texte Style
French to English
university of life! Oct 19

Nothing formal since I did a course for my professional experience to qualify as a Master. I was made to study translation theory, in that when you learn on the job you study the theory. Well I knew it all already, having figured stuff out using that much-ignored quantity called common sense.

That said, I learn something with practically every job. I even drive people mad coming out with weird facts on whatever subject crops up at dinner. Now my family just ask "did you do a translation on that", which has the effect of shutting the conversation down.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:54
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes and no Oct 19

Translating is a process of continual education, no doubt about that.
As to courses and the like, I'm way beyond that (patience) at over 50.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you take part in a continuing education/development program?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search