Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Has your location ever worked against you as a freelancer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:00
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No-competition related Oct 24, 2017

I've had three main issues with power outages and in the first two cases, which lasted half a day and one entire night, I had to travel 110 kilometres to Brasilia in order to find a coffee shop or an internet shop to finalize and deliver my projects.

Par for the course as I live in the countryside.

[Edited at 2017-10-24 23:28 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
Also in Canada Oct 24, 2017

I'm in the same situation as Maxi: being a certified certified translator in Canada has brought me many clients because the Canadian government and transcript equivalency organizations require all translations of immigration documents and diplomas to be certified. I even had occasional requests from the US for certified translations. Other clients, from the US or Europe, who need general or legal translations find me via the internet, most often proz, despite the fact that I'm a far away time zo... See more
I'm in the same situation as Maxi: being a certified certified translator in Canada has brought me many clients because the Canadian government and transcript equivalency organizations require all translations of immigration documents and diplomas to be certified. I even had occasional requests from the US for certified translations. Other clients, from the US or Europe, who need general or legal translations find me via the internet, most often proz, despite the fact that I'm a far away time zone.Collapse

Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here, Now I am down to just one permanent US client (because I live in Europe) Oct 24, 2017

[quote]Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Various times, when I log on in the morning, a job offer from a different time zone (mostly the US) has come and gone while I was offline.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:00
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Once Oct 24, 2017

When a project manager in Europe insisted that my projects be on his desk by EoB so that he could work on them first thing in the morning.
When I suggested that we could use the time difference to extend my working hours, and he would still have the project at start of business in his time if he let me work until EoB in my time zone, he got huffy.
That wasn't how he organized his time.

I stopped accepting his projects shortly thereafter...

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Oct 24, 2017

…once, when I was over the moon.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well, at least he didn't get… Oct 24, 2017

Rebecca Garber wrote:

When a project manager in Europe insisted that my projects be on his desk by EoB so that he could work on them first thing in the morning.
When I suggested that we could use the time difference to extend my working hours, and he would still have the project at start of business in his time if he let me work until EoB in my time zone, he got huffy.
That wasn't how he organized his time.

I stopped accepting his projects shortly thereafter...

…huffy and puffy.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It was better before Oct 25, 2017

I used to be based in Washington, D.C., home to many international organizations. When I lived there, it was easy to network with colleagues. We had an active translator community and we all knew each other. It was easy for me to become a freelance; the work virtually fell into my lap without having to advertise.

Now I'm in San Diego, California (moved here in 1994), and my contacts have retired. I still work for their replacements in the organizations, but that personal connection
... See more
I used to be based in Washington, D.C., home to many international organizations. When I lived there, it was easy to network with colleagues. We had an active translator community and we all knew each other. It was easy for me to become a freelance; the work virtually fell into my lap without having to advertise.

Now I'm in San Diego, California (moved here in 1994), and my contacts have retired. I still work for their replacements in the organizations, but that personal connection is gone.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not anymore Oct 26, 2017

When I started as a freelancer, I thought I would divide my time between translating, revising and interpreting. Then the local market/demand was very poor and actually worked against me. So I excluded interpretation from my list. Frist good move: Being here or anywhere else was no longer an issue. Finally, I excluded revising from my activities. Second great move. Now I only work with translations, and it doesn't really matter where I am, as long as I have a decent internet connection.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has your location ever worked against you as a freelancer?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »