Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Is your phone mostly a work tool, or a distraction from your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 06:18
SITE STAFF
Jan 23

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is your phone mostly a work tool, or a distraction from your work?".

View the poll results »

Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Neither Jan 23

My phone is for receiving emails and accessing the internet when I am out of the house. When I am at my desk working, the phone is mostly quiet. Luckily, I hardly get any work-related calls (probably no more than five per year). If the phone rings at all, it is usually a nuisance call about that car accident I wasn't involved in recently.

xxxGitte Hoveds
Denmark
Local time: 15:18
Danish to English
+ ...
Neither Jan 23

My phone is irrelevant to my work life.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Neither Jan 23

I rarely get phone calls. I encourage people to e-mail me because I'm hearing-impaired. This last week I only received 2 phone calls on my land line, both from clients, and I couldn't hear either one, even with my fancy phone and hearing aids. I received no calls on my cell.

People ask me: "How do you manage to do all that you do?" and I tell them it's because I don't talk on the phone.

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Neither Jan 23

My phone is a thing that can make acoustic phone calls. Per week, I get at most five of those, and when they would be a distraction, I don't answer them.

I think this question refers to a smartphone. I don't have a smartphone because I feel it would be way too fragile for my big paws. Maybe I should go Japanese and get a smartphone on a lanyard, so at least I wouldn't be able to drop it. But just checking emails on my PC once in a while does the same job without making me feel that I'm wearing an ankle monitor.

Beata Baika  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:18
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Neither Jan 23

I don't take jobs through phone. I use my smartphone only to check emails.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 14:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Neither Jan 23

I haven’t had a phone call from a client for ages. For a while, I was frequently annoyed by unwelcome telesales calls until I told them over and over again that I wasn’t interested and someone finally listened!

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
other Jan 23

my phone is a phone.
it is used for receiving or making calls. those related to work are non a distractions, the others sometimes are.
It is used for checking emails,
also for games and music when I want...

AT the end of the day, it is not a work tool and it is not a distraction.
It is a personal phone, a work tool, a distraction, something I forget I have...

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Philosophical Jan 23

Gianluca Marras wrote:

my phone is a phone.

b_iphone-Regular.jpg

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nuisance calls Jan 23

Thomas Pfann wrote:

My phone is for receiving emails and accessing the internet when I am out of the house. When I am at my desk working, the phone is mostly quiet. Luckily, I hardly get any work-related calls (probably no more than five per year). If the phone rings at all, it is usually a nuisance call about that car accident I wasn't involved in recently.

I'm curious, Thomas: in America we'd identify those phantom car accident calls as coming from unscrupulous lawyers, whom we call ambulance chasers. What do you call them over there?

icon_smile.gif

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Smartphones vs. telephones Jan 23

I don't know about Android-powered smartphones, but I can block unwelcome or nuisance calls on my iPhone.

My iPhone is also my alarm clock and my soothing sleeping music generator (I use an iTunes playlist for that).

icon_biggrin.gif

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
:-D Jan 23

Ricki Farn wrote:

Gianluca Marras wrote:

my phone is a phone.

b_iphone-Regular.jpg

oops!!!!!

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Neither Jan 23

I am still more comfortable with my landline, but I don't get a lot of calls.

I do have a smartphone, but mostly it is sound asleep in my handbag, and I only use it now and then, e.g. when I'm running late for an appointment.
For work-related communication on the road I use a mini iPad.

Joohee Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 22:18
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Work tool Jan 23

I can't live without my phone. Yes, I am a smartphone zombie...

Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:18
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Worktool Jan 23

I do telephone interpreting, individual clients also call me on my mobile and I do check my emails, however I am not addicted to it because I prefer getting distracted on my laptop:). My smartphone's screen (although one of the largest) is not big enough for that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is your phone mostly a work tool, or a distraction from your work?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search