Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: A reasonable cost for errors and omissions, liability and personal property loss insurance:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 15, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "A reasonable cost for errors and omissions, liability and personal property loss insurance:".

View the poll results »

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:57
English to Italian
100-200 per year Feb 15, 2018

Unfortunately I was provided a quote of € 1100 (Italy)

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 10:57
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
zero Feb 15, 2018

Has anybody ever, in the history of freelance translation, ever had to make a claim on such a policy?
I often ask this question when this subject comes up, but I have never heard of anyone with personal experience of such a claim.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
100 -200 per year Feb 15, 2018

Would be max - but the insurance companies I have approached were either not interested or charged a lot more.

BTW: Good point, Diarmuid, let's here!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I have a policy that covers a range of events Feb 15, 2018

... Fire, computer crashes, theft and illness, besides E&O.

So I think it is well worth having just for that. I am not sure of the exact terms now, but it used to cover claims for up to 10 million Danish Kroner.
It was a group policy for members of the Danish Language Professionals Trade Union, which I have continued to take out personally with the insurers.

I have heard of an agency who had to pay for a reprint of some publicity material, which can be quite expe
... See more
... Fire, computer crashes, theft and illness, besides E&O.

So I think it is well worth having just for that. I am not sure of the exact terms now, but it used to cover claims for up to 10 million Danish Kroner.
It was a group policy for members of the Danish Language Professionals Trade Union, which I have continued to take out personally with the insurers.

I have heard of an agency who had to pay for a reprint of some publicity material, which can be quite expensive, even if the error is technically trivial. I do not know whether the translator was insured, or whether the agency passed on the claim, but they changed their terms and conditions for working with freelancers.

I have also heard of a wedding that had to be postponed because the translation of divorce papers contained an error, but I don't know any details, or whether claims were made. That too could be quite expensive if a big party and travel arrangements had to be cancelled.

I agree claims are rare, but for somewhere between € 100 and € 200 a year, I like to know I am insured.
Collapse

András Veszelka
András Veszelka  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Error free translations vs. reasonable care Feb 15, 2018

I had a few conversations with insurance companies about this and they told me that if I explicitly accept in a contract that my work will be error free, they will not provide insurance for this, because I undertook this more strict restriction on my own. They already did not tell me, but if on the other hand I only sign contracts that stipulate that I will complete my job with reasonable care or to high professional standards, this means that I can commit a few mistakes, and then I don't need a... See more
I had a few conversations with insurance companies about this and they told me that if I explicitly accept in a contract that my work will be error free, they will not provide insurance for this, because I undertook this more strict restriction on my own. They already did not tell me, but if on the other hand I only sign contracts that stipulate that I will complete my job with reasonable care or to high professional standards, this means that I can commit a few mistakes, and then I don't need an additional insurance for this. As Christine mentions, indemnity insurances can still provide coverage for some additional issues, like data loss, but I think with appropriate safety measures these can be also handled safely without having a coverage. I am not entirely sure about this, but this is what I could gather.Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 15, 2018

I don't work with clients who try to foist things like this onto their providers. And, with my current portfolio of clients and the mutually flexible and proactive relationships we have, I don't think I'm likely to ever make any errors serious enough to warrant any such claims being made against me. I agree with Diarmuid's comment.
However, having said that, I can envisage situations where some kind of insurance might be necessary for the translation service provider, but I just don't see
... See more
I don't work with clients who try to foist things like this onto their providers. And, with my current portfolio of clients and the mutually flexible and proactive relationships we have, I don't think I'm likely to ever make any errors serious enough to warrant any such claims being made against me. I agree with Diarmuid's comment.
However, having said that, I can envisage situations where some kind of insurance might be necessary for the translation service provider, but I just don't see myself as being in that situation, at least not right now. In general, insurance policies always seem rather expensive to me.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How likely is it to pay out? Feb 15, 2018

Check the terms VERY carefully. The one I had for several years only covered me for clients based in my country, France. I only found out when I moved to Spain, after I'd been working with clients based in many different countries.

I seriously doubt whether it would be worth a client's time and money to sue a private individual. Maybe some of you are rich. but most st of my money is tied up in a house, owned jointly w
... See more
Check the terms VERY carefully. The one I had for several years only covered me for clients based in my country, France. I only found out when I moved to Spain, after I'd been working with clients based in many different countries.

I seriously doubt whether it would be worth a client's time and money to sue a private individual. Maybe some of you are rich. but most st of my money is tied up in a house, owned jointly with my husband. I really don't think it would be worth it to them. But of course if I had insurance then they'd be quick to try to pass any loss onto me. I've decided it isn't worth it.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 15, 2018

A reasonable cost would be €100-200 per year, but
1. In over 40 years, I have never heard of anyone with personal experience of such a claim.
2. I have a good relationship with all my customers and my strategy has been that every time a problem comes up I deal with it promptly.
3. I know that some companies offer these policies to doctors and lawyers but I wonder if the price will be within that range…

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
£0.00 Feb 15, 2018

I don't make mistaks.

Félicien Sirois
Félicien Sirois
United States
Local time: 05:57
Italian to English
+ ...
Possibly pharma or medical translators Feb 15, 2018

Chris S wrote:

I don't make mistaks.

Thanks Chris, that made my morning.

I think a lot of it comes down to your client base. If you work for agencies exclusively, then at least there is a buffer, especially if the work does not involve subject matter that could reasonably end up in a major casualty if mistranslated.

If, on the other hand, you work heavily with direct clients and/or (for example) in the medical or pharmaceutical fields or even in the automotive/transportation industry, then it might be advisable to find an E&O policy with suitable coverage.

[Edited at 2018-02-15 13:09 GMT]

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Something similar Feb 15, 2018

Gianluca Marras wrote:

Unfortunately I was provided a quote of € 1100 (Italy)

in the Czech Republic - at the time I attempted to take out such insurance, the policies were tailored to industrial companies. I don't bother any more, close to retirement.

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Best-efforts obligation Feb 15, 2018

I think that covers what we do, and 0.00 is very reasonable.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ditto Feb 16, 2018

Diarmuid Kennan wrote:

Has anybody ever, in the history of freelance translation, ever had to make a claim on such a policy?
I often ask this question when this subject comes up, but I have never heard of anyone with personal experience of such a claim.

Truer word was never spoken. I wonder if I am too old to start a career in insurance.

[Edited at 2018-02-16 00:58 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:57
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
30 years of insurance? Feb 16, 2018

I've been working as a translator for 30 years, and I never had an issue that could be a claim for an insurance policy.
If you calculate 30 years times the yearly cost of this insurance, the money I saved so far is way above any potential liability I may be subect to.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: A reasonable cost for errors and omissions, liability and personal property loss insurance:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »