Poll: Do you modify your CV depending on a job's requirements?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 06:59
SITE STAFF
Feb 22

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you modify your CV depending on a job's requirements?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa. View the poll results »

Jan Truper
Germany
Local time: 15:59
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Never Feb 22

But I often modify or even customize my cover letter.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hardly ever Feb 22

But I almost always tailor my message to the particular situation, emphasizing what might be most applicable.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 14:59
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Exactly the same here! Feb 22

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

But I almost always tailor my message to the particular situation, emphasizing what might be most applicable.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 22

I don't remember the last time I had to produce my CV for anything… It must have been ages ago. However, back in the day, I would occasionally tweak it to include only the most relevant information for the purpose in question.
In general, I usually try to keep my CV down to one page in length, and don't usually respond positively to requests for "updated CVs" nowadays, simply because I don't usually have the time to spare to find and update it.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 22

Depending on the job, I might outline my 20 years in merchant banking, or maybe my 40 years as a research chemist, 60 years as a civil engineer or 80 years as a circus acrobat.

Just tell them what they want to hear. Works a treat.

It's only a piece of paper.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:59
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not anymore Feb 23

I used to have three or four different CV's, but since I decided to be only a freelance translator and nothing else, that's no longer necessary. Since 2013, I have only one CV, but one version in each language I work with. I update it regularly, but that's it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you modify your CV depending on a job's requirements?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search