Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you experienced payment-related issues when using a client's translation management system?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:47
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I've dropped two otherwise reasonable clients ... May 1, 2018

... because they suddenly adopted an impenetrable and Byzantine online invoicing system which they INSISTED translators MUST use if they expected to get paid.
One required a new password every time the translator wanted to send an invoice, a password which expired if not used within five minutes of its being assigned. The staff were unable to explain how to use it. The process took longer than the actual translation had taken.
The other would not allow an invoice to be paid until its
... See more
... because they suddenly adopted an impenetrable and Byzantine online invoicing system which they INSISTED translators MUST use if they expected to get paid.
One required a new password every time the translator wanted to send an invoice, a password which expired if not used within five minutes of its being assigned. The staff were unable to explain how to use it. The process took longer than the actual translation had taken.
The other would not allow an invoice to be paid until its administrative staff had "approved" it, often extending the supposed 30 days net payment delay to 60 or even 90 days.
Not acceptable in my book.

[Edited at 2018-05-02 06:08 GMT]
Collapse

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:47
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
These platforms are a great convenience - for the client May 2, 2018

These platforms really make things easier ... for the client. For the translator, they tend to feature a pretty steep learning curve, and are a pain in the neck. Unless the client has a large volume of work, it´s often not even worth the trouble.

Nikolay Novitskiy

Pavel Mondschein
Pavel Mondschein  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:47
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes May 2, 2018

Yes. The client in question has eventually been banned from ProZ for such practices (and I have stopped working for them even before this ban). The TMS is no quarantee that the invoice will be paid in time, when the client intentionally pays late (we are talking about "3-6 months late", and only if you chase your payments).

That said, I prefer clients with their TMS, it makes things a bit easier for me. But there has to be mutual trust between me and my client. Not that there is pos
... See more
Yes. The client in question has eventually been banned from ProZ for such practices (and I have stopped working for them even before this ban). The TMS is no quarantee that the invoice will be paid in time, when the client intentionally pays late (we are talking about "3-6 months late", and only if you chase your payments).

That said, I prefer clients with their TMS, it makes things a bit easier for me. But there has to be mutual trust between me and my client. Not that there is possible to have a long-term partnership without trust
Collapse

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:47
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Yes Oct 11, 2018

Neither TMS protect you from mistakes in invoices done by a client, nor it grants you timely payments. It's just a more civilized way to solve payment issues. I run my own accounting and compare my own data with that of my client's.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you experienced payment-related issues when using a client's translation management system?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »