Poll: On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how happy are you at work in general?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 6, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how happy are you at work in general?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
5 May 6, 2018

I've reached a point at which I don't take work that doesn't make me happy.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
4 May 6, 2018

My employer loves me and I love what I do, if only work was constant I would be happier and give it a 5…

Amir Arzani
Amir Arzani
Iran
Local time: 09:07
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
3 May 6, 2018

The pay is good and I'm good at what I do but I wouldn't say I'm happy with the current projects I'm receiving.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
middle: one always can do better May 6, 2018

Not only at work, but it's ok, in the middle, for there's sky to follow--in any direction.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
4 May 6, 2018

Since I quit in-house working and switched to freelancing, I've become professionally very satisfied. I could even have voted "5", except for the following "bugs":

1. No income guarantees in case of accident or disease. I have a private pension plan and a health plan, but it's still not the same as a traditional in-house job.
2. No vacation, bonuses, etc. No solution for this. It's part of the choice of becoming a self-employed professional. A worthy cost, though.
3. My
... See more
Since I quit in-house working and switched to freelancing, I've become professionally very satisfied. I could even have voted "5", except for the following "bugs":

1. No income guarantees in case of accident or disease. I have a private pension plan and a health plan, but it's still not the same as a traditional in-house job.
2. No vacation, bonuses, etc. No solution for this. It's part of the choice of becoming a self-employed professional. A worthy cost, though.
3. My average rate is still a bit lower than I would like it to be. I've managed to reach a ratio of 75% of clients/income abroad and 25% in Brazil. The ideal situation seems to be 100% abroad, but it's quite an utopic goal, so I'll stick to 90%.
4. I'm still working on weekends, holidays, late at night, etc. The ideal situation would be to have regular working hours, up to 40 hours per week, and only in business days.
5. No guarantees of volume of work. Even our best clients may disappear all of a sudden. We must keep networking and looking for new clients all the time. This is also not optional, and also a "cost" we must live with.

1, 2 and 4 are possible and on their way to become reality. Perhaps next year I'll vote "5" for this question.

[Edited at 2018-05-06 15:58 GMT]
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:37
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
5 May 6, 2018

I couldn't be happier with my job.

The only complaint would be the long payment terms and many clients don't even pay on time.

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:37
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
5 May 6, 2018

I am very happy with my career change, from teaching full time to translations/interpretation. Seven years that have been so fast paced. I could have gotten more from it, but time is an issue. So far, nothing to complain about. I just need a 30-hour clock.

Gibril Koroma
Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:37
French to English
+ ...
5 May 7, 2018

It's always a blessing to do what you like and enjoy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how happy are you at work in general?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »