Poll: On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how happy are you at work in general?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 20:41
SITE STAFF
May 6

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how happy are you at work in general?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 13

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
5 May 6

I've reached a point at which I don't take work that doesn't make me happy.

Like 4

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 04:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
4 May 6

My employer loves me and I love what I do, if only work was constant I would be happier and give it a 5…

Like 7

Amir Arzani
Iran
Local time: 08:11
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
3 May 6

The pay is good and I'm good at what I do but I wouldn't say I'm happy with the current projects I'm receiving.

Like 18

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
middle: one always can do better May 6

Not only at work, but it's ok, in the middle, for there's sky to follow--in any direction.

Like 17

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:41
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
4 May 6

Since I quit in-house working and switched to freelancing, I've become professionally very satisfied. I could even have voted "5", except for the following "bugs":

1. No income guarantees in case of accident or disease. I have a private pension plan and a health plan, but it's still not the same as a traditional in-house job.
2. No vacation, bonuses, etc. No solution for this. It's part of the choice of becoming a self-employed professional. A worthy cost, though.
3. My average rate is still a bit lower than I would like it to be. I've managed to reach a ratio of 75% of clients/income abroad and 25% in Brazil. The ideal situation seems to be 100% abroad, but it's quite an utopic goal, so I'll stick to 90%.
4. I'm still working on weekends, holidays, late at night, etc. The ideal situation would be to have regular working hours, up to 40 hours per week, and only in business days.
5. No guarantees of volume of work. Even our best clients may disappear all of a sudden. We must keep networking and looking for new clients all the time. This is also not optional, and also a "cost" we must live with.

1, 2 and 4 are possible and on their way to become reality. Perhaps next year I'll vote "5" for this question.

[Edited at 2018-05-06 15:58 GMT]

Like 4

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:41
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
5 May 6

I couldn't be happier with my job.

The only complaint would be the long payment terms and many clients don't even pay on time.

Like 9

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:41
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
5 May 6

I am very happy with my career change, from teaching full time to translations/interpretation. Seven years that have been so fast paced. I could have gotten more from it, but time is an issue. So far, nothing to complain about. I just need a 30-hour clock.

Like 6

Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:41
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

5 May 7

It's always a blessing to do what you like and enjoy.

Like 15

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how happy are you at work in general?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search