Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If money were no object, would you still translate for fun?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:18
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Honest answer? Not sure May 7, 2018

As much as I love translating, I do not see the entire process (accepting a job, translating it, sending queries, preparing invoices, etc.) as a hobby. I guess it depends on how much money I would have in this hypothetical scenario.

Would my yearly income from translation be reasonable compared to my wealth or would it be a drop in the ocean? If my earnings make no difference whatsoever, I believe I wouldn't feel motivated to provide the same level of service I currently do, so I co
... See more
As much as I love translating, I do not see the entire process (accepting a job, translating it, sending queries, preparing invoices, etc.) as a hobby. I guess it depends on how much money I would have in this hypothetical scenario.

Would my yearly income from translation be reasonable compared to my wealth or would it be a drop in the ocean? If my earnings make no difference whatsoever, I believe I wouldn't feel motivated to provide the same level of service I currently do, so I could as well simply quit the business and retire.
Collapse

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:18
Member (2014)
English to German
Yes, but.. May 7, 2018

Yes, but only for non-profit organisations.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Not for fun May 8, 2018

I wouldn't translate for fun, well unless someone gave me very funny texts to translate.
But I would certainly continue doing pro bono translation for the NGOs I hold dear to my heart, and stuff to help friends out.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No May 8, 2018

Translation is not exactly my idea of "fun". I'd rather cross the Antartic riding a camel.

Philippe

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not sure May 8, 2018

Currently I'm also writing two books (one technical and the other an extension of my published memoir) that I would like to spend more time on. I really love to write.

On the other hand, one thing I know is that I get a great feeling of satisfaction every time I get an assignment, and I think I would miss that.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not only for fun May 8, 2018

I always say if I win the lottery, I'll keep translating.
For health purposes, you must keep an intellectual and a physical activity, always. I'm not gonna grow fat and ill. I'll keep reading, doing crossword puzzles, and translating, because out of all jobs I had in my life, translating is the only one I love.
And this is not "for fun". In addition to the health reasons, you'll keep acquiring knowledge, which I believe is the one and only thing you'll carry from this life.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If money were no object, would you still translate for fun?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »