Poll: If you had to work from an office on a desert island which one of the following would you take?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 8, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you had to work from an office on a desert island which one of the following would you take?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 8, 2018

I presume it will be a desert island with good Internet access and electricity. Then, I’ll take my dog, all my opera CDs and all the books I wanted to read but I haven’t had enough time to…

fredbirdisland-930x745

[Edited at 2018-05-08 08:36 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on ... May 8, 2018

whether or not the Internet is available. Without the Internet, I would definitely want to have as many references as possible. A truclkoad of dictionaries, glossaries, style manuals, almanacs, linguistics articles, and the like. I still have just that on shelves in my office left over from the good old days, though I consult them less and less. If there was down time, I could browse through the books. And of course tools to work with. Am I allowed a computer? If not, then a typewriter, of cour... See more
whether or not the Internet is available. Without the Internet, I would definitely want to have as many references as possible. A truclkoad of dictionaries, glossaries, style manuals, almanacs, linguistics articles, and the like. I still have just that on shelves in my office left over from the good old days, though I consult them less and less. If there was down time, I could browse through the books. And of course tools to work with. Am I allowed a computer? If not, then a typewriter, of course.

If the island as wi-fi and I have a computer, then I wouldn't need anything else. A dog would be nice, but not my current dog. She's too high-maintenance.
Collapse

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Lots of books May 8, 2018

I would take lots of books, since I am an avid bookworm.

Carla Catolino
Carla Catolino
Italy
Local time: 06:16
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
I would bring something not work related.... May 8, 2018

my husband and kids who are my biggest supporters and without them life is boring!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 8, 2018

Like Teresa, my desert island would have good Internet access and electricity, as well as plenty of supplies of food and drink. Flippers and a snorkel would be handy, and plenty of factor 50 suncream.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
My pet(s) May 8, 2018

Just in case I get fed up with coconuts and mussels

Philippe

Concepción Martín
Concepción Martín  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2018)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tools May 8, 2018

In my spare time I like to work with my hands, so I would need a good assortment of tools (painting, carpentry, gardening, sewing and spinning...).

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Pets... May 8, 2018

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Just in case I get fed up with coconuts and mussels

Philippe

You are going to eat them?

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
My music .... al instruments May 8, 2018

I didn't tick "my music" but "other" ... my musical instruments, please.

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 01:16
Russian to English
+ ...
My bourbon and cigars May 8, 2018

Well, duh...

Avantika81
Avantika81
India
Local time: 10:46
Hindi to English
+ ...
As there is only one option to choose,so I chose my music but if given more options I would love to May 8, 2018

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you had to work from an office on a desert island which one of the following would you take?".

View the poll results »

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:16
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Supposing... May 8, 2018

Since the question mentions an "office", I'm supposing that includes my computer and an internet connection, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to work. In that case, what I need to work is already included: my TMs, TBs, documents, software and music in my PC, and the web connection. I need nothing else to work well (books, materials, non-virtual stuff whatsoever).
So, I'd probably take my wife along, since there are certain things the virtual world will not give you, and being alone will s
... See more
Since the question mentions an "office", I'm supposing that includes my computer and an internet connection, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to work. In that case, what I need to work is already included: my TMs, TBs, documents, software and music in my PC, and the web connection. I need nothing else to work well (books, materials, non-virtual stuff whatsoever).
So, I'd probably take my wife along, since there are certain things the virtual world will not give you, and being alone will surely lead to insanity very soon.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What would you spend your income on? May 8, 2018

Assuming that there would be no supermarkets, no restaurants, no hotels, no houses ... I think I'd have far more basic needs than how to do my current job. I'd want a "desert island survival kit". Gardening tools and seeds, cookware, DIY tools, and lots of user guides. I doubt there would be any real leisure time, but some novels and writing materials would be nice to have.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
First things first May 10, 2018

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
You are going to eat them?

If necessary, without the slightest afterthought: I need to survive to deliver translations on time from my desert island, otherwise there is no point in the poll question.
As nothing is clarified about natural resources in that desert island, I may have to leave my highly civilised manners in the changing room to survive, or simply balance my diet somehow.

And if there is enough healthy food available there, I could pat pets instead.

Philippe

DISCLAIMER: no book was hurt or otherwise prejudiced in this post.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you had to work from an office on a desert island which one of the following would you take?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »