Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In general, how long between submitting your quote on a job and the start of work on that job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 14, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In general, how long between submitting your quote on a job and the start of work on that job?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ruth Sato. View the poll results »

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:22
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Other May 14, 2018

If possible, I start on it as soon as I receive the source text.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 14, 2018

In my book, submitting a quote doesn't equate to being chosen for that job.

How long? Let’s say everything from a few minutes to… never!

P.S. Anyway, my customers don't ask me to submit quotes. They just ask if I am available to handle a specific project and what will be the deadline.

[Edited at 2018-05-14 08:44 GMT]

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 04:22
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, it may take ages to receive a possible response! May 14, 2018

Definitely, I agree with Teresa Borges.

You can not tell when this will occur! Surely, it's your luck

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:22
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
1 - 2 days May 14, 2018

on average.

But most clients already know my rates.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:22
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other May 14, 2018

I don't submit quotes because my clients and I have already signed contracts and rates are fixed, until I renegotiate them, of course. So, all they have to do is to send me an inquiry as to my availability together with the data to be translated, and I'm either busy or not and negotiate a deadline.
This obviates the need for any contractual haggling and does away with the stress and strain of negotiating rates, price, etc.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
other May 14, 2018

I have fixed rates with my clients, we do not work with quotes.
Simply they send me jobs they need and I accept/decline according to deadlines and any jobs I already have to do.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 14, 2018

Same as Jack. ASAP after I receive the source text and go-ahead.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
depends on the size of the job May 14, 2018

I would say that the larger the job, the longer it takes. The estimate I did this morning was approved within 2 minutes, but the translation won't take much longer than that!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Absolute random May 14, 2018

Some clients confirm the order immediately upon receiving my cost estimate, by phone or e-mail.

On the other extreme, there are those who don't respond at all, even if I requested an e-mail receipt confirmation. Depending on the case, I'll send them another e-mail 1-4 weeks later, merely checking whether they received my estimate, and if they have already hired someone else to do it, so I can delete their files. Some don't respond to this one either.

I keep a policy of
... See more
Some clients confirm the order immediately upon receiving my cost estimate, by phone or e-mail.

On the other extreme, there are those who don't respond at all, even if I requested an e-mail receipt confirmation. Depending on the case, I'll send them another e-mail 1-4 weeks later, merely checking whether they received my estimate, and if they have already hired someone else to do it, so I can delete their files. Some don't respond to this one either.

I keep a policy of deleting all files sent to me for cost estimates 30 days after they haven't converted into a job, unless the prospect has instructed/implied to do otherwise.

Sometimes, up to 18 months later, I get a phone call or e-mail:
"Hello Jose, I'm Jill. Do you remember me?"
"I'm sorry, but quite honestly I don't."
"I sent you a bunch of files for a cost estimate last year. Can you give me an update on how much that translation would cost now? I want you to do it!"

Some ask me if "I'm still translating", implying that it's the kind of work people only do between one full-time job and another.
Collapse

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Too late May 14, 2018

It completely depends on the agreed deadline and other work I have. My jobs tend to be relatively small, so I slot things in as best as I can. Anyway, I'll generally start on newly assigned jobs at the first opportunity.

[Edited at 2018-05-14 11:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-14 11:37 GMT]

Eden Cope
Eden Cope
United States
Local time: 20:22
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other - Depends on the time of day May 14, 2018

Because I am in the US right now and a lot of the companies I work with are in Europe, I often send quotes late at night and don't start the project until the morning. That makes it rather annoying when there are tight deadlines just a few hours from when the project is sent, because then I have to turn the project down. I'm not going to stay up all night and turn in a project at 5 am.
I am always impressed when companies have reasonable deadlines because they are aware of how time zones w
... See more
Because I am in the US right now and a lot of the companies I work with are in Europe, I often send quotes late at night and don't start the project until the morning. That makes it rather annoying when there are tight deadlines just a few hours from when the project is sent, because then I have to turn the project down. I'm not going to stay up all night and turn in a project at 5 am.
I am always impressed when companies have reasonable deadlines because they are aware of how time zones would complicate things otherwise. It's much more professional.

[Edited at 2018-05-14 15:21 GMT]
Collapse

Katja Schoone
Katja Schoone  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Same here May 14, 2018

Julian Holmes wrote:

I don't submit quotes because my clients and I have already signed contracts and rates are fixed, until I renegotiate them, of course. So, all they have to do is to send me an inquiry as to my availability together with the data to be translated, and I'm either busy or not and negotiate a deadline.
This obviates the need for any contractual haggling and does away with the stress and strain of negotiating rates, price, etc.

Kirsten Lukas
Kirsten Lukas
Germany
French to German
+ ...
I agree with Teresa and Julian! May 15, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:

P.S. Anyway, my customers don't ask me to submit quotes. They just ask if I am available to handle a specific project and what will be the deadline.

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Submitting a quote does not mean having job job May 15, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:

I agree with Teresa.

If I submit a quote that does not mean that I have been chosen.

My old clients never ask for a new quote online. They know my rates.

So this is not at all a valid question for those clients.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In general, how long between submitting your quote on a job and the start of work on that job?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »