Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: You accept a new client's job, and then find they have poor feedback from previous translators. You:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 15, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "You accept a new client's job, and then find they have poor feedback from previous translators. You:".

This poll was originally submitted by Nadia Said. View the poll results »

Laura Pascual
Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:39
Finnish to Spanish
+ ...
I do the job May 15, 2018

If I have already accepted, of course I do the job. Actually, this happened last year. I usually check new clients before accepting anything, but this time I was busy and forgot to do it. Afterwards I found a lot of bad comments about the client, but I had already commited to do the project, so refusing afterwards would be unprofessional. Then of course I had payment problems, which were luckily solved, but I learnt to ALWAYS check the client, not just "almost always". Now when I have no time, I... See more
If I have already accepted, of course I do the job. Actually, this happened last year. I usually check new clients before accepting anything, but this time I was busy and forgot to do it. Afterwards I found a lot of bad comments about the client, but I had already commited to do the project, so refusing afterwards would be unprofessional. Then of course I had payment problems, which were luckily solved, but I learnt to ALWAYS check the client, not just "almost always". Now when I have no time, I either refuse, or tell them I will get back with a quote as soon as possible if they're not in a hurry. I might lose some projects this way, but I also avoid a lot of hassle, so it is worth it.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 15, 2018

Fortunately it hasn’t happened for a long while, I always check new clients very carefully before accepting a job: once bitten, twice shy. Anyway, if it was to happen I would do it and put it down to experience.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:39
French to English
+ ...
Start work and send query May 15, 2018

I would start work on the job but send a polite message to the PM explaining that I've just seen poor feedback and would like confirmation that there won't be any issues or at least that I'll be notified of these in a timely manner. Then I'd make a little contingency plan.

I can't imagine agreeing to work for someone I haven't checked out but last year I did start working with an agency with poor feedback. As we were negotiating the contract, I found this and asked them about it. Th
... See more
I would start work on the job but send a polite message to the PM explaining that I've just seen poor feedback and would like confirmation that there won't be any issues or at least that I'll be notified of these in a timely manner. Then I'd make a little contingency plan.

I can't imagine agreeing to work for someone I haven't checked out but last year I did start working with an agency with poor feedback. As we were negotiating the contract, I found this and asked them about it. They said there wouldn't be an issue and, although their communication methods are a little unorthodox, I've found them to be nothing but exemplary. (I accepted the job regardless because it was interesting and I didn't stand to lose much and just kept in mind that getting paid might be an issue)
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
If I had already accepted May 15, 2018

I would keep my promise. (Only if it was a relatively big job, say above USD 300 I would comment on my findings)

But normally I check out all new clients before accepting a job.

However, once I did a very small job for a new client; I was busy and did not bother checking,
then they asked me to do a bigger job and I just accepted - but shouldn't have - because it turned out they had a bad record on Blue Board, and I got some trouble getting the money. Got it in the
... See more
I would keep my promise. (Only if it was a relatively big job, say above USD 300 I would comment on my findings)

But normally I check out all new clients before accepting a job.

However, once I did a very small job for a new client; I was busy and did not bother checking,
then they asked me to do a bigger job and I just accepted - but shouldn't have - because it turned out they had a bad record on Blue Board, and I got some trouble getting the money. Got it in the end though.

Sometimes, when new clients with bad records plead me to take on a job, I ask for advance payment and that has worked out well in several cases.
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
do the job May 15, 2018

I have to say that I usually check the client's reliability first.
But just in case I would do the job, wait for it to be paid and then, in case, accept a new one.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It probably wouldn't happen ... May 15, 2018

... because, like others here, I always check the records of potential clients who are new to me. If their record is seriously bad, I mention the fact to them and request payment in advance which, with "baddies", usually isn't forthcoming.
In the case of potential clients with no records, I might accept a first job if it is relatively small, provided they agree to my terms in writing in some form, do the job and keep my fingers crossed (when not typing). This has sometimes led to a sound b
... See more
... because, like others here, I always check the records of potential clients who are new to me. If their record is seriously bad, I mention the fact to them and request payment in advance which, with "baddies", usually isn't forthcoming.
In the case of potential clients with no records, I might accept a first job if it is relatively small, provided they agree to my terms in writing in some form, do the job and keep my fingers crossed (when not typing). This has sometimes led to a sound business relationship.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Do the job anyway May 15, 2018

If I have committed myself to doing the job, I would do it anyway, and deliver as for any other client.

Like others, I check clients before I take on work.
Apart from that, I normally only take on small jobs, so if there is trouble and I have to write it off as experience, I can live with it.

The important thing is that I have fulfilled my side of the agreement, so the client has nothing to complain about. Then at least I have given them the benefit of the doubt.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Once I've taken the order, I'll do the job anyway May 15, 2018

If I failed to see the poor feedback on them before accepting the job, I must take the blame for not having been thorough in my due diligence, and get ready to face the consequences.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other ... N/A. May 15, 2018

Luckily enough, this scenario is very unlikely to happen to me, as for the past few years I've been so busy that I don't really have any space left to entertain new clients. I'm currently pretty much fully booked until the end of August...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Renegotiate... May 15, 2018

asking for payment in advance...

Claudio Machado Junior
Claudio Machado Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:39
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always check the Blue Board first May 15, 2018

Whenever I receive a message from a potential new client, I always check the Blue Board first. To me, the ratings and comments posted by colleagues are key for continuing the conversation.

Alexandr Kopiy
Alexandr Kopiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:39
English to Russian
+ ...
It depends May 15, 2018

My reaction would depend on the scope of work - the more scope, the more probability of rejection.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
Sticky situation May 15, 2018

I chose "Do the job anyway" but if the sum involved is large (>$500), I might have words with the PM just to get to the bottom of it before losing any more time and money.

Nathalie Thompson
Nathalie Thompson  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:39
English to French
I do the job for good work ethics May 15, 2018

It's my duty to verify reputability before accepting a job. If I missed that step, my bad, I do the job I accepted, but I make sure to stay on the ball for communications and payments. If things go south, it's a lesson learned for the next project.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: You accept a new client's job, and then find they have poor feedback from previous translators. You:

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »