Poll: Do you think your translation speed has improved over the last three years?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 22, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think your translation speed has improved over the last three years?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No May 22, 2018

I think I’ve reached my cruising speed well over 20 years ago and I’ve never been concerned with my speed: I prefer to go slowly and carefully. Over the years, I’ve noticed that my typing speed depends a good deal on my mood (some days my fingers blunder across the keyboard), the source language (it is speedier to translate from French, Spanish or Italian into Portuguese than from English) and then the subject matter… I hope I'm producing better quality than X years ago, but not faster. ... See more
I think I’ve reached my cruising speed well over 20 years ago and I’ve never been concerned with my speed: I prefer to go slowly and carefully. Over the years, I’ve noticed that my typing speed depends a good deal on my mood (some days my fingers blunder across the keyboard), the source language (it is speedier to translate from French, Spanish or Italian into Portuguese than from English) and then the subject matter… I hope I'm producing better quality than X years ago, but not faster.

There's a saying in Portuguese I go by: “Depressa e bem não há quem” (something like “Good and quickly seldom meet”).

[Edited at 2018-05-22 09:20 GMT]
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 12:09
English to German
Define "improve" May 22, 2018

For me, faster is not better. The speed that is adequate for the best quality is best. That speed varies with the text, with my mood, with the CAT tool, and probably some other factors.

Faster than adequate would just mean going through the whole thing again to reach best quality. Nope.

I have no idea if there are trends in my personal parameters over the last years, and I couldn't just define some KPIs and measure them, because there would be too many "soft" factors t
... See more
For me, faster is not better. The speed that is adequate for the best quality is best. That speed varies with the text, with my mood, with the CAT tool, and probably some other factors.

Faster than adequate would just mean going through the whole thing again to reach best quality. Nope.

I have no idea if there are trends in my personal parameters over the last years, and I couldn't just define some KPIs and measure them, because there would be too many "soft" factors to measure. I hope that my ability to match speed to setting is pretty damn perfect and has been so for many, many years.
Collapse

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
No May 22, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 22, 2018

I'm more concerned with quality these days than speed.
And that fact that the "Like" button" that was here yesterday seems to have disappeared. :/

[Edited at 2018-05-22 09:17 GMT]

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Yes May 22, 2018

I have become faster over the last three years as my experience and TM have continued to grow.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Yes May 22, 2018

And when I say "Yes", I mean that I have become faster without affecting the quality of my work.
Being fast is not my primary target, quality and reliability represent my offer, a quick turnaround is a plus, but it means NOTHING, if then your job has a poor quality.
So, Yes I have improved my quality and my speed in the last 3 years, and that is a positive thing

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No May 22, 2018

I hit my top speed a long time ago. All I care about is maintaining quality.

I might add that each year I learn new things to be aware of, so my translations get better but sometimes I spend more time checking details than I used to.

[Edited at 2018-05-23 04:31 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Yes May 22, 2018

I think I have improved, simply because I no longer have to ferret about for the best way to translate a term, I remember it from last time. I have a file called "Think of using" that's full of little gems I have had trouble finding. Nowadays when I'm stuck and have a peek in it, I see that the little gems have simply become my repertory.

Also because nowadays I rarely take translations out of my comfort zone.

Absolutely not at the cost of quality!

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
No May 22, 2018

It went considerably down. I have had a difficulty hitting the right keys lately. My eyesight has been worsening, my fingers are not so agile anymore, and I cannot really concentrate.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes May 22, 2018

I noticed I get more done in a couple of hours than I used to, it just came naturally with the practice.

Cinthya Chamarelli
Cinthya Chamarelli  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:09
Japanese to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes May 23, 2018

I've definitely become much faster lately despite health problems (thanks to acquired experience + TM/glossary build-up), and I feel that my quality has also improved. However, I do prefer to have comfortable deadlines so I can work on my translations slowly and carefully, like a sculptor working on a sculpture inch by inch, polishing it here and there until it's perfect. (Yes, even when it's technical translation.)

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:09
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, no doubt May 23, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:
For me, faster is not better.

Yes, Ricki, if you disregard technology entirely.
I've been translating for 30 years, and I can assure you, if your translating speed has not increased in the last few years, you're likely not following up the technological innovations.

Of course our speed increased immensely when we moved from typewriters to computers, from courier to e-mails, etc. But that was back in the 1990's.
Then we must consider that, as we get more experience and acquaintance with the necessary jargons, of course our speed increases, as we require less researching. That happens regularly.
Now, in the past 3 or 5 years is exactly when I started using a CAT and other tools that increased immensely my translating speed. I moved from 2000 wpd to up to 4500 wpd.
And guess what? Despite this 'acceleration', the quality of my translations increased in the same proportion!
So this cliché that faster is not better was very true in the 20th Century, but not any more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think your translation speed has improved over the last three years?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »