Poll: Have you ever mixed up the deadlines for different projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 24, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever mixed up the deadlines for different projects?".

This poll was originally submitted by Kuochoe Nikoi. View the poll results »

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:15
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
No May 24, 2018

No, this has never happened to me as I am generally very organised. Besides, it is very rare for me to have more than a couple of projects on the go at the same time. In addition, my CAT tool has a feature that allows me to input the deadline of a given project, thereby reducing the scope for human error subsequently intervening.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 05:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 24, 2018

No that I recall. Sticking to translation deadlines is one of the most important factors for me, even if extreme juggling is sometimes required to meet them all.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 24, 2018

I can’t remember it ever happening but I guess it’s possible as I’ve been translating for over 30 years. Anyway, I’m sure I wouldn’t have forgotten having my days mixed-up if it had become a serious issue…

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Not exactly mixed up May 24, 2018

I am also organized and I generally deliver earlier, so problems are rare. Many years ago, I invoiced by mistake an ordinary job as a rush job based on the actual delivery date. Once, I had several small jobs from the same agency and missed the fact that the deadlines were not the same. And recently, I was persuaded the deadline for a biggish job was Friday evening and found on Tuesday it was Thursday morning, so I worked long hours and made it.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
It happened to me May 24, 2018

I suggested this poll because it happened to me a few months ago when I took two rush jobs that were due on the same day. Except one was due in the morning and the other in the evening... and of course I mixed up the two. Luckily I was almost done with both of them by that morning so as soon as I realized my error I managed to work something out. Never again, though. Only one rush project at a time.

Axelle H.
Axelle H.  Identity Verified
France
English to French
No May 24, 2018

Not yet ..

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:15
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, caught on time May 24, 2018

I've messed up deadlines a few times. But keeping my policy of never delivering a job late, I worked late into the night and delivered them all on time.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes May 24, 2018

It happens once in a while, especially due to different time zones. But noone has gotten upset so far.

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Never May 24, 2018

It's very important to manage your projects in a clear, organized way. Maybe set up a reminder about different projects and their deadlines.
Mixing up deadlines and even worse - missing deadlines is a big no-no.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever mixed up the deadlines for different projects?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »