Poll: How booked up are you for the coming month?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 29, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How booked up are you for the coming month?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fully booked May 29, 2018

And I just received a request for a 10 page legal document needed urgently. I'm thinking of advising the client to try posting the job on proz, and a few minutes ago I saw what looked like an interesting new quick turnaround translation service offered on the site. However, I can't find the link again. If someone could quickly tell me how to explain to the client how he can post the job, I'm sure someone will be glad of the work (although it's a PDF).

Tick tock, guys....

[Edi
... See more
And I just received a request for a 10 page legal document needed urgently. I'm thinking of advising the client to try posting the job on proz, and a few minutes ago I saw what looked like an interesting new quick turnaround translation service offered on the site. However, I can't find the link again. If someone could quickly tell me how to explain to the client how he can post the job, I'm sure someone will be glad of the work (although it's a PDF).

Tick tock, guys....

[Edited at 2018-05-29 08:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-29 08:23 GMT]

PS: This is a direct client, not an agency. I don't know if non-members can post jobs on the site or not, or whether they need to register first... etc.

[Edited at 2018-05-29 08:35 GMT]

PPS: One of my friends has agreed to take the job. However, I would still like to find out how individuals rather than agencies can find translators on the site and how to go about it. And the quick turnaround human translation service I saw advertised earlier today looked interesting, but when I tried to go back to that page, I couldn't find it.

[Edited at 2018-05-29 09:15 GMT]

PPPS: I'm pretty much fully booked until September, with a book translation coming in between June and August in addition to my usual stuff. I had to refuse an 1800 word job yesterday because the client wanted it within 24 hours. It was from an agency that is either banned from posting on proz or has a really poor BB rating, but I kept on working with them after that and they always paid me on time (at 60 days).

[Edited at 2018-05-29 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:08
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Other May 29, 2018

I am not currently taking bookings for the coming month, because I am about to depart on my annual vacation.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
@neilmac May 29, 2018

Don't you have any trusted colleague you could recommend to your client?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (I don't know, my schedule is wide open...) May 29, 2018

May has been unusually busy and in general an active month is followed by a quiet one. I have 5 regular customers who send work every month but I seldom know in advance what to expect. In addition, one of my direct clients (a regional organization) will hold its annual meeting in June, so I’m expecting a lot of work from them.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bien sûr! May 29, 2018

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Don't you have any trusted colleague you could recommend to your client?

Yes, but they are usually busy working too, and this was an urgent request. However, one of my friends has taken the job already, but I'd still like to know how people not familiar with proz.com can find translators without going through agencies, for example whether they need to register first, and similar details.
The quick turnaround human translation service I noticed earlier on sounded interesting too, but when I tried to find the link again I couldn't.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other May 29, 2018

It just does not work like that.

I always have plenty of work, but only booked up 3-4 days ahead of me, not the whole month.
Some projects are ongoing for a few months, but I still do other jobs at the same time.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Could still take on a fair bit May 29, 2018

My jobs tend to be fairly short; two weeks counts as a very long deadline for me, so although I am booked solidly until 7 June, I still have a fair bit of room when looking at the entire month.

Oh, hello Yetta, we posted at the same time and seem to have the same sort of length for our jobs.

[Edited at 2018-05-29 09:18 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other May 29, 2018

Nothing so far for next month. But hey, next month is not until Friday, and it's only Tuesday today! I'm absolutely fully booked until the end of Thursday.

It is often slightly quieter at the beginning of the month, and then things get madly hectic at the end, don't ask me why. With the holiday season coming up, things might go mad in the next month, or it might all be very quiet for longer.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
With Yetta May 29, 2018

I have plenty of regulars lined up, but I'm hardly ever booked for more than a week in advance, on average two or three days.

I wish life would throw me a few free days. It hardly ever does.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
More or less fully booked this week May 29, 2018

Nothing booked past this week, but I'm sure the work will all arrive in due course. My regular clients rarely leave me in peace for long .

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:08
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
GDPR May 30, 2018

All my clients have sent their Privacy Policy for translation update.

A rise in the income! XD

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 30, 2018

I just finished my 23rd document for an upcoming meeting and I'm hoping it's the last so I can take a break. I won't declare a vacation because my clients don't always come back right away when I do that. I will just keep my fingers crossed that nothing big comes in in the next week.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
30 day planning? Translators? Jun 2, 2018

I can't tell. I never could. I'm loaded with work for a week, but I have nothing to do so far in the following week. However, I'll likely be loaded again, but I will only be able to tell next Friday. It's always been like that. Isn't it the same for all translators?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How booked up are you for the coming month?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »