Poll: I've been using a CAT tool for:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 00:08
SITE STAFF
Apr 22

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I've been using a CAT tool for:".

View the poll results »

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
5-10 Apr 22

Or it may be more. I was using WFC when the "economic crisis" happened in 2008, so it must be be longer. I don't tend to keep note of things like that. I've never been keen on or good with figures or admin.

Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I don't! Apr 22

I do not use any CAT tools yet!

I do not know if I will ever work with any one of them

writeaway

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
5-10 years Apr 22

and it's been great.
Unfortunately, more and more clients provide the CAT; If you are lucky, it's MemoQ, but mostly it is something inferior.
I much prefer to use my own CAT tool, Wordfast PRO, and build my own TMs.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 08:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't use a CAT tool! Apr 22

I used my first and only CAT tool some 15-20 years ago (can’t remember exactly). I used it for 2/3 years and hated it. Fortunately, most of the texts I’ve been translating don’t require CAT tools…

writeaway

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
A long time Apr 22

Wow, I must be getting old.....

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
I stated with WF 3.35x (circa 2002) Apr 22

Grasping the general idea, one can work almost with any CAT, but (even for a translator) it's not my everyday tool, because of its segmentation (cutting out/separating) "choppy" nature, which often requires additional cleaning up and paraphrasing--especially for non-techy jobs.

Of course, by-paragraph segmentation makes more sense, giving more brainpower, yet still at the expense of the fuzzy matches.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Shortly after I started Apr 22

Without any translation education and before Google existed, I learned about CAT tools through agency clients. A bit like informing your gardener that wheelbarrows exist.

One of my first "international" agency clients worked with Trados 3. After a few months receiving colourful bilingual tagged Word files, I bought this dongle-protected piece of software to leverage TMs. I seem to remember it was close 1000 euros at the time.
This client folded end 2001 with 3700 of my euros, but by then I was proficient with Trados troubleshooting and I was hardly translating anything digital "manually".

I switched to MemoQ in 2008 because of another agency client, and because I couldn't handle the steep change from Workbench to the grid-based, ill-designed, counter-intuitive thing that SDL Trados 2009 was.

I recently bought Trados 2019 to dump my 2009 version and try to get up to speed with it one day. But I'm still a daily user of my MQ 2013.

Philippe

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
5 - 10 years Apr 22

I've been using it for a little more than 6 years now. Most of my translations don't require a CAT tool, so I don't know yet if I will renew my license this summer.

Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:08
German to English
+ ...
I don't Apr 23

It would slow me down in the work I do.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
5 years Apr 24

Because I was too stubborn for a long time, had a bad experiente with Trados, and was reluctant for a few years before I actually adopted one (2014). Big mistake I made.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I've been using a CAT tool for:

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search