Poll: How many work-related "subscriptions" do you have (paid software, other solutions, etc.)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 08:36
SITE STAFF
Oct 5

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many work-related "subscriptions" do you have (paid software, other solutions, etc.)?".

View the poll results »

Mohamed Sadaka

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 16:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
12-15? Oct 5

Proz, LinkedIn Premium, Translators Café, APTRAD, ATA, EST, IAPTI, MET, some online dictionaries and probably a few more I can’t remember right now…

Mohamed Sadaka
Christine Andersen

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
None Oct 5

I'm a businessman specializing practicing working as an interpreter and translator in a specific field, no better (let alone paid!) "subscription" ever:

It's my clients who pay me for the job and education.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
4-7 Oct 6

Let me count ... Paid subscriptions: MS Office, MS Access, Adobe Acrobat, Merriam-Webster, Iris, Dropbox, ProZ - That makes 7. I have some other subscriptions that aren't translation-related, and of course I consult dozens of online resources.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:36
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
3 Oct 6

ProZ
Office 365
Payment Practices
MemoQ is not a subscription, so it doesn't count.

Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:36
German to English
+ ...
2 Oct 6

Office has changed from a software you buy to a subscription.
I pay for a service with Adobe to convert PDFs.

Gitte Hovedskov
Denmark
Local time: 17:36
Member (Mar 2019)
English to Danish
+ ...
Funny thing to keep track of Oct 6

No idea... life is too short for keeping track of such things...

Kay Denney

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 6

I think it may be 1-3, but it's not the sort of thing I keep track of. If I need something to such an extent that I have to pay a subscription for it rather than just using freeware, then I pay it and that's that. And I don't think the situation crops up so often that I need to keep tabs on it.

Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:36
Member (2018)
English to Russian
+ ...
None 08:41

I pay only for Proz.com membership and for my own website hosting. But these cost items relate to "advertisment", it's not a software.

As for software, there is always alternative free software. OmegaT is a good CAT. OpenOffice is a good office software, etc.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
About 20 09:06

Wordfast * Microsoft Office * Gmail * ProZ.com * Payment Practices * Membership to 6 translator associations * Web hosting and domain names * SMTP2GO (a paid SMTP service) * Do we count paid anti-virus, malware and VPN subscriptions? I have a few of those. * I use my mobile phone for work (apparently), and that's a monthly fee + pay per use... oh, and of course I pay for internet.

There are also a few other pay per use services that I have an account with, but only pay for if I use
... See more
Wordfast * Microsoft Office * Gmail * ProZ.com * Payment Practices * Membership to 6 translator associations * Web hosting and domain names * SMTP2GO (a paid SMTP service) * Do we count paid anti-virus, malware and VPN subscriptions? I have a few of those. * I use my mobile phone for work (apparently), and that's a monthly fee + pay per use... oh, and of course I pay for internet.

There are also a few other pay per use services that I have an account with, but only pay for if I use it, e.g. Google Translate, an online fax service, PDF conversion service, etc. Some of these services send a bill, but some require you to "top up" when you run out of credits.

[Edited at 2019-10-23 09:11 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:36
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Only Proz 12:19

Only Proz and nothing else. I refuse to pay for any software that requires a monthly subscription (MSOffice is available as a standalone version).

Software that requires a monthly subscription is a rip-off.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many work-related "subscriptions" do you have (paid software, other solutions, etc.)?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search