Success Series

Join ProZ.com every Wednesday at 14:00 GMT / 10:00 AM EST for ProZ.com Translator Success series. Each week ProZ.com will bring speakers & presenters on to help ensure Freelance linguists have success & achieve their business objectives.

Click for Full Participation

Poll: Do you keep work backups that would not be affected by critical damage to your home/office?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 08:08
SITE STAFF
Oct 8

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you keep work backups that would not be affected by critical damage to your home/office?".

View the poll results »

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 16:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 8

It will depend on how critical the damage is. I have an external HD (backups once a month) + Dropbox (backups at the end of the day) + pen drive for the current translation (backups every two or three hours)…

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 8

That reminds me, I should back up my current workload. I'll do it later...

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 8

But this is a sensitive issue because some clients don't want their work saved anywhere outside their own systems.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, Oct 9

Of course! It would be a serious mistake not to. Can you imagine losing your TMs and TBs, for example, if your HD or your office burns? I have three backups: one in an external hard drive, and two in separate clouds. No risks here.

Edward Potter: there is no harm to the NDA whatsoever if you do your own backup. There will only be a breach in the contract if you disclose it to anyone. You can make as many backups as you want.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 9

I back up every day to a separate hard drive, which I could take with me in an emergency. I found DropBox pretty expensive for the volumes of material that I handle (unless I'm missing something). I also have a laptop with most of my software on it.

When I'm working on a long job, my two biggest clients have a place on their portals where I can leave my work every day for safekeeping. In fact, with one of them my contract requires that I upload my work every day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you keep work backups that would not be affected by critical damage to your home/office?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search