Poll: Do you keep work backups that would not be affected by critical damage to your home/office?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 8, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you keep work backups that would not be affected by critical damage to your home/office?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 8, 2019

It will depend on how critical the damage is. I have an external HD (backups once a month) + Dropbox (backups at the end of the day) + pen drive for the current translation (backups every two or three hours)…

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 8, 2019

That reminds me, I should back up my current workload. I'll do it later...

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 8, 2019

But this is a sensitive issue because some clients don't want their work saved anywhere outside their own systems.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:49
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, Oct 9, 2019

Of course! It would be a serious mistake not to. Can you imagine losing your TMs and TBs, for example, if your HD or your office burns? I have three backups: one in an external hard drive, and two in separate clouds. No risks here.

Edward Potter: there is no harm to the NDA whatsoever if you do your own backup. There will only be a breach in the contract if you disclose it to anyone. You can make as many backups as you want.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 9, 2019

I back up every day to a separate hard drive, which I could take with me in an emergency. I found DropBox pretty expensive for the volumes of material that I handle (unless I'm missing something). I also have a laptop with most of my software on it.

When I'm working on a long job, my two biggest clients have a place on their portals where I can leave my work every day for safekeeping. In fact, with one of them my contract requires that I upload my work every day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you keep work backups that would not be affected by critical damage to your home/office?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »