Poll: What’s the maximum number of KudoZ questions you will ever need to ask within a 24-hr period?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 1, 2005

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What’s the maximum number of KudoZ questions you will ever need to ask within a 24-hr period?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Joanna Krahelska
Joanna Krahelska
Local time: 09:17
Polish to English
+ ...
hey, this is unfair! ;) Sep 1, 2005

I do not expect to need to ask any KudoZ questions at all, whether within a 24-hr or 10-years period! where is my answer?!
the best, jk

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
no idea-my crystal ball is not working Sep 2, 2005

Who can tell the future?
If I accept a job in a field I don't know and/or in a language I don't master well enough to translate, then 15 would be very likely.
If one lists a figure based on the past, well, I've asked 148 questions in 3 years. Any mathematicians out there?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Impossible to predict! Sep 2, 2005

It also depends on the author's style. Some authors write in a very convoluted style -- the questions often aren't about terminology but how to interpret something that seems strange. I remember years ago we were translating reports on identical topics from 20 Spanish-speaking countries: some went easily while others were very difficult to extract the meaning from. And regional styles differ, too. For example, the public health sector in Cuba has a special way of expressing things.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends Sep 2, 2005

I too don't think one can predict how many KudoZ question will be necessary.

I always try to use Kudoz questions as little as possible, but one day I may have one question, the next day 10.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No idea, but... Sep 2, 2005

Actually I don't think I have ever asked more than one or two within a day.

I do occasionally ask questions in language pairs outside my main pairs, where my understanding of the source language is hazy and my client has drawn a blank. (In practice it's Dutch or French when I'm proofing an English text written without a proper source text by a speaker of one of those languages).

I can imagine having a handful of technical terms in one of those languages, so I voted for
... See more
Actually I don't think I have ever asked more than one or two within a day.

I do occasionally ask questions in language pairs outside my main pairs, where my understanding of the source language is hazy and my client has drawn a blank. (In practice it's Dutch or French when I'm proofing an English text written without a proper source text by a speaker of one of those languages).

I can imagine having a handful of technical terms in one of those languages, so I voted for max. 10, but I should probably have settled for 5...

Have a nice weekend!

Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Very badly stated question Sep 2, 2005

For one thing, why 3? why 5?, why not 0?

these are way too precise numbers.

Much better would have been to give ranges (0-5, 5-10, 10-15, more than 15, for example), but even so, you are asking people to read a crystal ball, which very few of us have.

A more interesting question would have been:

What's the maximum number of KudoZ question you ever asked in a day? (0-5, 5-10, 10-15, more than 15),

or even

What's the a
... See more
For one thing, why 3? why 5?, why not 0?

these are way too precise numbers.

Much better would have been to give ranges (0-5, 5-10, 10-15, more than 15, for example), but even so, you are asking people to read a crystal ball, which very few of us have.

A more interesting question would have been:

What's the maximum number of KudoZ question you ever asked in a day? (0-5, 5-10, 10-15, more than 15),

or even

What's the average number of KudoZ question you normally ask in a day? (0-5, 5-10, 10-15, more than 15).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What’s the maximum number of KudoZ questions you will ever need to ask within a 24-hr period?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »