https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/36800-poll%3A_in_your_jobs_who_usually_pays_the_expenses_of_payment_transfer_when_such_expenses_exists.html

Poll: In your jobs, who usually pays the expenses of payment transfer, when such expenses exists?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 16, 2005

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In your jobs, who usually pays the expenses of payment transfer, when such expenses exists?".

This poll was originally submitted by Noelia Fernandez Vega

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In your jobs, who usually pays the expenses of payment transfer, when such expenses exists?".

This poll was originally submitted by Noelia Fernandez Vega

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 06:45
English to German
+ ...
I quote FOB Sep 16, 2005

so that all additional expenses arising would have to be met by the client. Best Brandis

Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:45
Finnish to English
Depends on agreement, but payer should pay their own fees. Sep 16, 2005

Unless specifically agreed otherwise, the payer should pay any fees that their bank charges to send money out. However, it is not the payers responsibility to pay for whatever fees the recipients bank charges (if any).

Only once has a client tried to say they're deducting a $30 wire transfer fee from my invoice (that was already considerably late, no less). I said I can't go to the grocery store and say to them that I will deduct $1 from the total as that is how much the ATM charged
... See more
Unless specifically agreed otherwise, the payer should pay any fees that their bank charges to send money out. However, it is not the payers responsibility to pay for whatever fees the recipients bank charges (if any).

Only once has a client tried to say they're deducting a $30 wire transfer fee from my invoice (that was already considerably late, no less). I said I can't go to the grocery store and say to them that I will deduct $1 from the total as that is how much the ATM charged me to get the money out to pay you. It does not work that way.

When I pay invoices to translators that I have used, I will pay the £9 fee that is charged by my bank but I will not pay for the fees that the recipient is charged. The translator should charge enough in the first place that a few dollars/euros/pounds doesn't make them feel bad when the bank takes it.

I think most respectable outsourcers pay the fees incurred by their banks without a question; its the shabby small ones that are run by all sorts of scamsters that don't pay these charges. It just means the outsourcer is greedy if they can't afford £9 (or $30) in a $1000 invoice to pay their own bank.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Current survey status is more like it Sep 16, 2005

Shocked I was 11 votes into the survey to find the majority of translators paying transfer fees. AFAIK, never was the case in Europe (well, e-bank transfers are cheap here and only getting cheaper). But even from the US I don't generally get the condition "translator pays". That would make 10-liners and minimum rates senseless.

In some cases, there is a receptor bank fee that the client isn't in a position to know beforehand, but some clients have even sent an approximate compensati
... See more
Shocked I was 11 votes into the survey to find the majority of translators paying transfer fees. AFAIK, never was the case in Europe (well, e-bank transfers are cheap here and only getting cheaper). But even from the US I don't generally get the condition "translator pays". That would make 10-liners and minimum rates senseless.

In some cases, there is a receptor bank fee that the client isn't in a position to know beforehand, but some clients have even sent an approximate compensation for such. (In practice, there is no obligation).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In your jobs, who usually pays the expenses of payment transfer, when such expenses exists?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »