Poll: If you were to start over, would you again chose to be a translator/interpretor?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 30, 2005

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you were to start over, would you again chose to be a translator/interpretor?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sandra Chiancone

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you were to start over, would you again chose to be a translator/interpretor?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sandra Chiancone

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:02
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Probably not Oct 30, 2005

Although I LOVE what I do, it's a very uncertain profession.

I may have a translation or may not. I rarely receive on time and payment deadlines are too long, specially if we consider that we have to do a translation within a certain period of time, 5 days, for instance, and then receive 60 days after that. We never know when payment is going to be made and if it's going to be made (I have a client who doesn't pay me since October 2004 and I think he doesn't mean to).

... See more
Although I LOVE what I do, it's a very uncertain profession.

I may have a translation or may not. I rarely receive on time and payment deadlines are too long, specially if we consider that we have to do a translation within a certain period of time, 5 days, for instance, and then receive 60 days after that. We never know when payment is going to be made and if it's going to be made (I have a client who doesn't pay me since October 2004 and I think he doesn't mean to).

So, I think that translation is not that rewarding concerning money.

If I were to start over, I would probably have chosen a profession that would give me a stable income. I would probably be a vet (they take a lot of money from us and always have clients if they are good vets), or a doctor working both in a hospital and in my private clinic (two regular incomes are always nice). :0)

Languages were the easiest area for me and I liked it and that's why I chose to be a translator and a languages teacher. I could have studied harder and take another degree instead of translation, although I don't know if I would be as pleased with what I do as I am today with translation and teaching (even though I have stopped teaching for a while now).
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 17:02
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
translators and other animals Oct 30, 2005

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

they take a lot of money from us and always have clients if they are good vets

I know it may be difficult and time-consuming to build up a solid client base, but translators, too, can have a steady flow of clients and jobs... and income. For some encouragement, just look around the various forums

regards,
Csaba

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
it's reassuring Oct 30, 2005

It is quite reassuring to see that the majority voted 'yes, absolutely'. It proves to me that I'm not completely wasting my time!
I do have my doubts, some days - I wanted to see if I was the only one... Obviously not, but it's good to see how many of us are really happy with what we're doing.
Keep it up! And thanks for answering the poll)

Sandra

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
I love it! But I don't depend on it for a living. Oct 31, 2005

Sometimes I think I was born to be a translator! And not many people are lucky enough to feel that way about their profession.

But, we live on my husband's income and use my translating for extras--including down payments on a car when I get a really big job! If I had to live on what I'm making from translation it would be very uncertain.

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
typos... Oct 31, 2005

I didn't catch my two 'spellos'! Aaargh!
It should have read 'choose' and 'interpreter', oeuf corse!!!

Sorry all...

Cheers,
Sandra

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not that I don't love doing it.... Oct 31, 2005

...but through translation I've discovered a lot of fascinating science. Languages and linguistics came easily to me, so I chose those fields for my education as a path of least resistance. And I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride. HOWEVER, if I had taken some of the tough (for me) science classes and pursued education in that direction, I think scientific research, or medical research in particular, might have been ultimately a more fulfilling career for me.

At least it would have be
... See more
...but through translation I've discovered a lot of fascinating science. Languages and linguistics came easily to me, so I chose those fields for my education as a path of least resistance. And I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride. HOWEVER, if I had taken some of the tough (for me) science classes and pursued education in that direction, I think scientific research, or medical research in particular, might have been ultimately a more fulfilling career for me.

At least it would have been more structured!! I think I'm a little uncomfortable with the slippery/slithery-ness of translation. And I'm very uncomfortable when I re-read a job that I've done and realize that I made mistakes. I think: "Omigosh! Did I do that somewhere else? Do I have to read everything all over again--again??"
Collapse

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
never say never Dec 14, 2005

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

HOWEVER, if I had taken some of the tough (for me) science classes and pursued education in that direction, I think scientific research, or medical research in particular, might have been ultimately a more fulfilling career for me.

Hi Muriel,

You know the Spanish saying "nunca es tarde si la dicha es buena"?

My first thought at reading the poll was "What, for all my life?"

My current father-in-law, at 76, is still studying - I could say "studying again", but I don't know if he's ever stopped.

Nobel literature-laureate J. Saramago wrote his first novel at 53 (or so I read).

My partner has a medical colleague who at 52 is studying a new speciality.

At 37, I am on my 3rd professional career (admittedly, I've chosen more or less easy routes and one has led to another).

The question is probably how much you really want to do something. Just because you haven't done it before, don't think you can't do it now! You can!

Even if you don't intend to make a career of it, the personal satisfaction could be worth much more than many well-paid translations.

englishhindi
englishhindi
Local time: 21:32
English to Hindi
I am a vet as well as translator Jun 19, 2006

Interesting topic:
Being a vet I earn money and satisfaction, also status.
But Being a translator, although I don't earn money, but I Acheive PEACE OF MIND (I think so because I feel this way I am conveying and extending the knowledge of science and medicine ) and peace of mind is a thing that is always above money.

So you can very well decide, the better option!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you were to start over, would you again chose to be a translator/interpretor?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »