Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you opened a bank account on another continent to receive dollars or euros?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
I answered "yes" Dec 28, 2005

However, my account in Spain predates my relocation to the U.S. I simply never closed it, and continue to use it on my visits to Spain and more recently for convenient payment via transfer within Europe.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accent On Spanish
Translation and Cross-Cultural Services
http://www.accentonspanish.com
... See more
However, my account in Spain predates my relocation to the U.S. I simply never closed it, and continue to use it on my visits to Spain and more recently for convenient payment via transfer within Europe.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accent On Spanish
Translation and Cross-Cultural Services
http://www.accentonspanish.com
http://www.proz.com/teams/140
Collapse

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
change of wording... Dec 28, 2005

Henry wrote:

I changed the wording based on Stephen's comments.

130 people have already responded to the poll. If changing the question mid-poll does not show that our "quick polls" are unscientific, I don't know what will!

I answered after the wording was changed...

the question also missed asking if you already had an account in another country (and thus did not have to open one but have used it for business)

regarding the "science" of the polls, I don't know, but at least they're fun and the discussion is really interesting... Actually, I think the comments are the best part!!!!

Saludos,
Heidi

Heidi C
English to Spanish
+ ...
what about other countries in America? Dec 28, 2005

Stephen Rifkind wrote:

As the guilty party behind the wording of this survey, I would like to relate to a few of the previous comments:

As for my Canadian friends, I admit suffering from that terrible American delusion that Canada is the unofficial 51st state. So, if you are Canadian and opened an account in the U.S>,you can say that you opened an account in a different continent.

Stephen Rifkind

Stephen:

You not only forgot your Canadian friends: in North America you also forgot Mexico, and in Central and South America (and the Caribbean)you forgot a whole bunch of countries with different currencies!!!

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:33
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
I am coming out with my hands up in the air! Dec 28, 2005

First of all, the midsurvey change dealt with the problem in a fair way, another country.

All I wanted and want to know is whether other translators use foreign bank accounts as a way to prevent the legal highway robbery known as transaction fees. I just had a 30 USD payment turn into a 8.70 EUR entry!

I am not familiar with the bank laws in Europe and the US. I think it would be useful if someone who is fimiliar could give us the details.

The reason I
... See more
First of all, the midsurvey change dealt with the problem in a fair way, another country.

All I wanted and want to know is whether other translators use foreign bank accounts as a way to prevent the legal highway robbery known as transaction fees. I just had a 30 USD payment turn into a 8.70 EUR entry!

I am not familiar with the bank laws in Europe and the US. I think it would be useful if someone who is fimiliar could give us the details.

The reason I had in mind dollars / Euros and continents is that these are the two most often quoted currencies in international bids.

As for my (former) Mexican neigbour (I haven't lived in the States for almost 20 years), since the Monroe doctrine, Uncle Sam has taken North America and South America for granted and wrongly so. Thanks for the education and my apologies.

Stephen Rifkind
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:33
Flemish to English
+ ...
Guideline reading Dec 29, 2005

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Is how I read it anyway.

And then going beyond the original question, then I have the following comments :

- good idea if you have lots of business other than where you are based
- raises the age-old question of receiving payments by SWIFT and other forms of transfer which are lengthy and expensive and for small sums often prohibitive
- also raises taxation issues
- raises zillions of issues in fact

Thinking about a numbered account in a tax haven... (sweet dreams!) !

N

Read the European Savings Guideline first. There are a few tax-havens left. One or two you would not even think of.
I don't need an American bank-account for the moment, but a decade ago I had one at the Bank of America, Los Angeles office. At the time, they required two pieces of identity. Normally, opening a bank-account in the US should be no problem. Opening a bank-account in Britain, if you are a non-Uk-resident, that is another story.

[Edited at 2005-12-29 12:13]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Receiving money in Poland Dec 30, 2005

Robert Zawadzki wrote:

Paypal does not work into Poland

I have a client in Poland and they asked me to open an account with Moneybookers, which is similar to PayPal. They paid me in Euros. It has worked perfectly for me, and I have the impression that the fees are slightly lower than those charged by PayPal.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
There may be some options for opening a US account Dec 30, 2005

angioletta garbarino wrote:

I would like to open an account in the USA since most of my clients are located in the USA, but I'm afraid I couldn't, could I?
If you know please let me know
happy new year !!!

It depends on the bank and the type of account. Most banks require the physical presence of the person opening the account, but there may be exceptions. Once you open the account, you can live anywhere you want to. You would probably want to do your banking online rather than wait for a statement to come by sea mail, if that even exists any more.

Alternatively, some credit unions allow a member to open an account on behalf of a relative or friend. I did that for a friend in Hungary.

Heidi C
English to Spanish
+ ...
Account in US Jan 1, 2006

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

angioletta garbarino wrote:

I would like to open an account in the USA since most of my clients are located in the USA, but I'm afraid I couldn't, could I?
If you know please let me know
happy new year !!!

It depends on the bank and the type of account. Most banks require the physical presence of the person opening the account, but there may be exceptions. Once you open the account, you can live anywhere you want to. You would probably want to do your banking online rather than wait for a statement to come by sea mail, if that even exists any more.

Alternatively, some credit unions allow a member to open an account on behalf of a relative or friend. I did that for a friend in Hungary.

Actually, from what I understand, you need to have a Social Security Number to be able to open an account (even if you are a resident)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you opened a bank account on another continent to receive dollars or euros?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »