Poll: Do you sometimes indulge in unprofitable but interesting jobs for the sheer fun of it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 8, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you sometimes indulge in unprofitable but interesting jobs for the sheer fun of it?".

This poll was originally submitted by Heike Behl, Ph.D.

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each tim
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you sometimes indulge in unprofitable but interesting jobs for the sheer fun of it?".

This poll was originally submitted by Heike Behl, Ph.D.

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Serkan Doğan
Serkan Doğan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:28
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 8, 2006

Honestly, yes I do. We exert both time and energ in translating texts. And, everything is not money. From time to time, I involve in non-profit translations, for either fun or friendly purposes. However, it should not exceed some certain percentage. Because we are not doing this job for fun only, but for making money to survive.

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:28
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree... Jan 8, 2006

...completely with Serkan (sooo young and already a translator!!!)

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
when it is unprofitable Jan 8, 2006

I have other more productive areas of life activity. I don´t lose a minute when I declare I have holidays, there is certainly lot more to get from every day life than only translation. But work is work and fun is fun. Mostly work is no fun or sometimes fun in a limited manner. That way things are good. Brandis

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Maybe in some other way... Jan 8, 2006

In order to help some fellow translators, when they are assigned a job being not their specialty.
To a limited extent, and to very limited fellow translators for obvious reasons, of course.

Regards

Andrzej

krtko
krtko
China
Local time: 19:28
English to Croatian
+ ...
80 pages for 100 euros, for the sheer fun of it Jan 8, 2006

)

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wouldn't KudoZ qualify as an "unprofitable but interesting" translation activity? Jan 9, 2006

It's not a "job" per se, but I do spend a lot of time on KudoZ. Instead of delivering a job early and getting another one right away, I sometimes tend to put off delivery until the deadline, and I'm aware that some of that time in between was spent on KudoZ. And that's OK. It's fun!

Also, I have a special low rate for a group of physicians in Brazil (colleagues of my nephew) who want to publish in an English-language journal. I think it's important to get their work into the limelig
... See more
It's not a "job" per se, but I do spend a lot of time on KudoZ. Instead of delivering a job early and getting another one right away, I sometimes tend to put off delivery until the deadline, and I'm aware that some of that time in between was spent on KudoZ. And that's OK. It's fun!

Also, I have a special low rate for a group of physicians in Brazil (colleagues of my nephew) who want to publish in an English-language journal. I think it's important to get their work into the limelight so that people know about it.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If people don't have the money... Jan 9, 2006

I do have a couple of small regular jobs which would simply not be done if I they had to be paid for. I occasionally take on others for friends, and very often the jobs are almost a reward in themselves in terms of fun.

I don't think twice about doing an extra sentence for a good client, or a tagline for a website etc. without invoicing. But that sort of thing is highly profitable in other ways. I call them and ask for help when I need it, and the goodwill saves hours of searching t
... See more
I do have a couple of small regular jobs which would simply not be done if I they had to be paid for. I occasionally take on others for friends, and very often the jobs are almost a reward in themselves in terms of fun.

I don't think twice about doing an extra sentence for a good client, or a tagline for a website etc. without invoicing. But that sort of thing is highly profitable in other ways. I call them and ask for help when I need it, and the goodwill saves hours of searching the net or other resources, so I get paid back in a way. It just doesn't show in the accounts.
(And we both know I've found the right answer to my question, which is worth a lot too.)

Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 07:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't tell anybody... Jan 9, 2006

...because I can't afford to do it often. But I once translated a short novel for very low pay, with more to come "when it's published." It will probably never be published, as I knew when I took the job. But it was so-o-o-o much fun! And a very interesting challenge.

I also do a lot of Bible-related literature for free, as part of my ministry. But I don't think the survey question was about pro bono work, was it? "The sheer fun of it"! So I think my "novella" qualifies. I love to
... See more
...because I can't afford to do it often. But I once translated a short novel for very low pay, with more to come "when it's published." It will probably never be published, as I knew when I took the job. But it was so-o-o-o much fun! And a very interesting challenge.

I also do a lot of Bible-related literature for free, as part of my ministry. But I don't think the survey question was about pro bono work, was it? "The sheer fun of it"! So I think my "novella" qualifies. I love to translate!
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
volunteer work Jan 26, 2006

It's something that I can do, that really makes a difference (any highschool kid can file stuff) for a group that I care about. And it's fun.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you sometimes indulge in unprofitable but interesting jobs for the sheer fun of it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »