Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Platinum members: will you renew your membership?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 30, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Platinum members: will you renew your membership?".

This poll was originally submitted by Momoka

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Platinum members: will you renew your membership?".

This poll was originally submitted by Momoka

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe Jan 30, 2006

I have just become a Platinum Member in November and so far, I haven't got any job that states "ONLY FOR PLATINUM MEMBERS". If I get one of this type that pays me more than US$ 120, then I would renew it. We are just at the beginning of the year, so let's see what happens...

Joanna Krahelska
Joanna Krahelska
Local time: 10:09
Polish to English
+ ...
for platinum members?! Jan 30, 2006

excuse me, where are the "platinum members"? I thought they were all gone
the best, jk

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
More to it than Platinum-only jobs Jan 30, 2006

...though that is a part of it. Being able to check the Blue Board and possibly not losing money by working for notorious non-payers is another reason why membership might just pay for itself - or simply being further up the quoting list even when bidding on jobs that are open to everyone to quote on.

I think it's also a bit crass just to see it in terms of whether it pays for itself. I pay for the service that the ProZ staff work to provide me with - as someone pointed out on anot
... See more
...though that is a part of it. Being able to check the Blue Board and possibly not losing money by working for notorious non-payers is another reason why membership might just pay for itself - or simply being further up the quoting list even when bidding on jobs that are open to everyone to quote on.

I think it's also a bit crass just to see it in terms of whether it pays for itself. I pay for the service that the ProZ staff work to provide me with - as someone pointed out on another forum, they expect to get paid every month too. It took me a while to decide to go Platinum, but what finally did it in the end was the feeling that I was taking more than I was giving - even though I'm active on KudoZ and reasonably active on the forums. ProZ is a fantastic resource/meeting place and I'm happy to make a financial contribution to it continuing to be one (and yes, I easily recouped the cost of membership within the first three months).
Collapse

Joanna Krahelska
Joanna Krahelska
Polish to English
+ ...
misunderstanding Jan 30, 2006

Clare Barnes wrote:

...though that is a part of it. Being able to check the Blue Board and possibly not losing money by working for notorious non-payers is another reason why membership might just pay for itself - or simply being further up the quoting list even when bidding on jobs that are open to everyone to quote on....

I know all there is to know about the superiority of membership over non-membership
what I mean is that there are no more platinum members anymore, haven't you noticed?!
the best, jk

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's not about the pay rate Jan 30, 2006

I totally agree with Clare.

It's about supporting the site that provides us with so many great services. Not to mention the additional benefits that are available for Platinum members only.

It's not about the pay rate for the jobs that come through ProZ, but about broadening the client base. I have gained 10 clients through ProZ, and I'm sure that my Platinum listing helped put my name on their radar. Even if the rate isn't $120/K words, the total has paid for my three
... See more
I totally agree with Clare.

It's about supporting the site that provides us with so many great services. Not to mention the additional benefits that are available for Platinum members only.

It's not about the pay rate for the jobs that come through ProZ, but about broadening the client base. I have gained 10 clients through ProZ, and I'm sure that my Platinum listing helped put my name on their radar. Even if the rate isn't $120/K words, the total has paid for my three years of membership many times over.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Bidding function is not all about the jobs Jan 30, 2006

The real benefit of membership, in terms of jobs, is the directory listing. I can put it this way: jobs I land through bidding just pays or some years barely pays off my membership fee, but the client base I have gained through directory listing -those who contact me through my profile page, that is- pays for roughly three fourths of the costs of everything else I need and/or enjoy throughout the year. So, I have no reason even to consider not continuing as a member.

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Misunderstanding II Jan 30, 2006

Joanna Krahelska wrote:

Clare Barnes wrote:

...though that is a part of it. Being able to check the Blue Board and possibly not losing money by working for notorious non-payers is another reason why membership might just pay for itself - or simply being further up the quoting list even when bidding on jobs that are open to everyone to quote on....

I know all there is to know about the superiority of membership over non-membership
what I mean is that there are no more platinum members anymore, haven't you noticed?!
the best, jk

Johanna - your posting wasn't up when I posted mine. No misunderstanding, just crossed lines of communication. I was responding more to Cristina's posting...

Best, Clare

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jan 30, 2006

I always like to take a test drive, so I decided to start with the 6 months membership. One thing I realized is that the jobs are one of the least important functions of the site.

I will renew because I believe this is a long-term project for translators and I want to give it my support.

Best,
Fred

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Not sure... Jan 30, 2006

I have been a paying member since 2003. I have never really found any lucrative work through the site, but have supported it anyway since I don't believe in not paying for services and the site is something I do use every day.

With other professional memberships, subscriptions, advertising, etc., Proz.com is moving farther and farther down my list of priorities and seems to be moving farther away from my needs as well (my main need being to continue to find new direct clients).
... See more
I have been a paying member since 2003. I have never really found any lucrative work through the site, but have supported it anyway since I don't believe in not paying for services and the site is something I do use every day.

With other professional memberships, subscriptions, advertising, etc., Proz.com is moving farther and farther down my list of priorities and seems to be moving farther away from my needs as well (my main need being to continue to find new direct clients).

When my current membership is up I may renew as a partial platinum for the community features (if that still exists) or continue as a non-paying occasional user of the site. Unfortunately, some of the complex features recently added to the site (the outsourcer management page) are of no use to me whatsoever and I don't want to be paying for these kinds of developments.

Regards,
Sara

[Edited at 2006-01-30 09:01]
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:09
Spanish to English
Tax deductible Jan 30, 2006

My Proz membership is a business expense. Therefore, I either pay the money to the taxman or support this site, which over the years has really given me a great deal of good information, help, tools, advice, etc., etc., etc.

It's not actually a difficult choice for me to make.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No I haven't noticed Jan 30, 2006

Joanna Krahelska wrote:

Clare Barnes wrote:

the best, jk

I absolutely agree whith you Clara, and disagree with you Joanna, every day I see at least 4 new platinum members.The " Welcome New Members" is for platinum memners only.

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Focus Jan 30, 2006

Joanna Krahelska wrote:

Clare Barnes wrote:

the best, jk

Hi Joanna,

why don't we focus on the other thread instead of opening two paralell discussions.

Fred

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No they are not all gone Jan 30, 2006

Joanna Krahelska wrote:

excuse me, where are the "platinum members"? I thought they were all gone
the best, jk

I am platinum member since december 03 and I will renew my platinum membership

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
absolutely Jan 30, 2006

I've been platinum for four years and have just renewed for another year. Going platinum was one of the best business decisions I have ever made. Approximately 50 percent of my average workload is from clients I "meet" (or originally met) via Proz (and like Xola, only a minority from bidding, most from the directory listing). I usually recover my membership fee in a matter of weeks. And as Nikki said, I have learned a LOT from this site, received a lot of help, and better yet, made quite a few f... See more
I've been platinum for four years and have just renewed for another year. Going platinum was one of the best business decisions I have ever made. Approximately 50 percent of my average workload is from clients I "meet" (or originally met) via Proz (and like Xola, only a minority from bidding, most from the directory listing). I usually recover my membership fee in a matter of weeks. And as Nikki said, I have learned a LOT from this site, received a lot of help, and better yet, made quite a few friends, so would probably continue to support it by being platinum even if it weren't for the work.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Platinum members: will you renew your membership?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »