Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: IOL/ATA/ITI members: has your membership helped you generate more work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 7, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "IOL/ATA/ITI members: has your membership helped you generate more work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alexa Dubreuil

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is ru
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "IOL/ATA/ITI members: has your membership helped you generate more work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alexa Dubreuil

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Sorry Feb 7, 2006

Only too late did I notice "IOL/ATA/ITI members". I am not a member of any of them.

I replied "slightly", so you may discount that reply if you wish.

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Worth doing the IoL dip trans? Feb 7, 2006

I'm thinking of doing the IoL diploma in translation (to get credits toward the degree in linguistics that I'm doing), so I'm very interested in this question.

Since only 15% (as of today, 7 feb) report that the accreditation was very useful, then I may not do the IoL diploma after all... the fact that it's crushingly expensive is also something of a deterrent.

Hmm... undecided. Anyone with an IoL dip trans care to comment? Is it, in the end, that hard an exam? (My la
... See more
I'm thinking of doing the IoL diploma in translation (to get credits toward the degree in linguistics that I'm doing), so I'm very interested in this question.

Since only 15% (as of today, 7 feb) report that the accreditation was very useful, then I may not do the IoL diploma after all... the fact that it's crushingly expensive is also something of a deterrent.

Hmm... undecided. Anyone with an IoL dip trans care to comment? Is it, in the end, that hard an exam? (My language pair is IT-EN.)
Colm
Collapse

Andrew Steel
Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Yes, definitely Feb 7, 2006

I would like to qualify my response slightly.

Membership of professional associations (IoL, ITI, ATA and Asetrad) has generated a significant volume of work for me over the years.

For those not aware, to become a full member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (IoL), Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI) or American Translators Association (ATA) it is necessary to pass an entrance exam set by the organisation, or to demonstrate that your work/skills are to a
... See more
I would like to qualify my response slightly.

Membership of professional associations (IoL, ITI, ATA and Asetrad) has generated a significant volume of work for me over the years.

For those not aware, to become a full member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (IoL), Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI) or American Translators Association (ATA) it is necessary to pass an entrance exam set by the organisation, or to demonstrate that your work/skills are to an equivalent standard.

However, it would be naive for any translator, no matter how qualified, to expect an immediate influx of work from the moment that their details appear in the various associations' directories.

In my experience, the clients who contact me through the IoL, ITI and ATA listings are other translators or agencies who value these credentials. They themselves are usually members of these associations, subscribe to their various codes of conduct and view translation as a professional service rather than a commodity. In short, they are demanding, knowledgeable, and willing to pay for quality.

It is also worth adding that the various associations' networking events are good places to meet potential clients.

So, I would say that the key issue here is not the volume of work that membership generates, but the type.

Finally, I think it is also worth pointing out that I can't remember ever having been contacted by a direct client with no ties to the profession/industry who has found my details in a translator association's directory. That in itself speaks volumes about the amount of work that the various associations still need to do in promoting their services and the profession to industry/commerce at large.

Andrew

[Edited at 2006-02-07 10:48]
Collapse

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Another response Feb 7, 2006

[quote]ProZ.com Staff wrote:

"IOL/ATA/ITI members: has your membership helped you generate more work?"

Needs a "I don't know" (unless of course there is a way of counting "because you have this qualification, we are sending you this work")

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 02:01
German to English
+ ...
DipTrans and various societies Feb 7, 2006

ryancolm wrote:

...I may not do the IoL diploma after all... the fact that it's crushingly expensive is also something of a deterrent.

Colm

It's hardly expensive by comparison to a linguistics degree!

That said, lots of agencies still want me to take their poxy tests, so I wonder why I bothered - and IoL _still_ won't let me join as a full member even with their highest qualification - you need to demonstrate a year's full time employment in which your foreign language is a requirement for the job immediately prior to the application. Hardly straightforward as a junior freelancer - but I'd be in if I worked in a burger bar in Germany for a year. Something not right there.

As for ITI, they want between 3 and 5 years full time, but go and take a look at their rates survey - over 50% of their members get less than half their income from linguistic practice!!! Something not right there either.

Romina Minucci
Romina Minucci
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
no membership Feb 7, 2006

what about a "no membership" answer in this poll?

I'd interested in knowing how many translators among us have no membership..

maybe a further poll.

Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
English to French
+ ...
My question was about any membership with a language-focused organisation (not just IOL/ATA/ITI) Feb 7, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

Only too late did I notice "IOL/ATA/ITI members". I am not a member of any of them.

I replied "slightly", so you may discount that reply if you wish.

Don't worry Henry, your input is definitely worth.
My original question was edited by the Proz staff - it was actually:
"Based on your own experience, do memberships with language-focused organisations (IOL, ITI, ATA etc) generate more work?"

Alexa

[Edited at 2006-02-07 12:06]

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Andrew makes an excellent point Feb 7, 2006

Andrew Steel MCIL, MITI wrote:

So, I would say that the key issue here is not the volume of work that membership generates, but the type.

I am ATIO-certified. I wouldn't say I've received a higher volume of work as a direct result, but the few contracts I've received because of it have been interesting, long-term and well-paid. I have no hesitations renewing my membership each year.

[Edited at 2006-02-07 12:08]

Alexa Dubreuil
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
About "no membership" Feb 7, 2006

Romina Minucci wrote:

maybe a further poll.

Hi Romina
This poll was aimed at members of such organisations/associations but you make a valid point: it would be interesting to know how many Proz have such memberships

Alexa

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
No membership Feb 7, 2006

Romina Minucci wrote:

maybe a further poll.

I am very interested, too. Another poll?

Inés

Alexa Dubreuil
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Which UK organisation would you recommend joining? Feb 7, 2006

Mara Bertelsen wrote:

Andrew Steel MCIL, MITI wrote:

I am ATIO-certified. I wouldn't say I've received a higher volume of work as a direct result, but the few contracts I've received because of it have been interesting, long-term and well-paid. I have no hesitations renewing my membership each year.

[Edited at 2006-02-07 12:08]

Andrew and Mara: your comments are very interesting and confirm the perception I had about such organisations.

I am not a member of any association yet but that's something I intend to do. I am based in the UK so I think the main ones are the IOL and the ITI - I'm just not sure which one to join. What do you think?

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I'm not much help Feb 7, 2006

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

Andrew and Mara: your comments are very interesting and confirm the perception I had about such organisations.

I am not a member of any association yet but that's something I intend to do. I am based in the UK so I think the main ones are the IOL and the ITI - I'm just not sure which one to join. What do you think?

Sorry Alexa, but I can't be of much help to you. I am not familiar with UK-based associations, as the ones I am a member of are in either Canada or France.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 05:01
Turkish to English
+ ...
IoL's find-a-linguist service is a good source of quality clients Feb 7, 2006

Hi,

I took and passed the IoL Diploma in Translation from Turkish into English a few years ago. I find it useful to be listed with the find-a-linguist feature on the IoL's website. The number of inquiries coming via this route (I am listed under Turkish-English) is not massive, but they tend to be quality inquiries i.e. clients looking for a professional in the language pair rather than the cheapest available translator.

As far as the Dip. Trans. exam goes, well I took
... See more
Hi,

I took and passed the IoL Diploma in Translation from Turkish into English a few years ago. I find it useful to be listed with the find-a-linguist feature on the IoL's website. The number of inquiries coming via this route (I am listed under Turkish-English) is not massive, but they tend to be quality inquiries i.e. clients looking for a professional in the language pair rather than the cheapest available translator.

As far as the Dip. Trans. exam goes, well I took this exam without any coaching or tuition and everyone told me that it was very difficult and I had no chance of passing. By the time the exam date came round I had more or less decided that the first attempt would just be for the experience and maybe I could pass second time round. Then one day the results arrived in the post and I was surprised to find that I had passed - with merit. So I would advise people not to be overawed by this exam.
Collapse

Andrew Steel
Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Join both Feb 7, 2006

Alexa,

Both the IoL and ITI have their strong points, the main difference between the two being that the IoL is open to linguists in general (including language teachers, etc.) whilst the ITI is only open to translators and interpreters.

I would join both (and have done). In your case, I would also join the Société Française des Traducteurs. If you then find that one (or all) of them does not live up to your expectations, you can always cancel your membership.

Andrew

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: IOL/ATA/ITI members: has your membership helped you generate more work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »