Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: On avarage, how many cups of coffee do you drink per day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
tortuga langua
tortuga langua
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:08
German to Czech
+ ...
strong coffee Feb 12, 2006

Ah, I drink Turkish coffee only when I want to give myself a treat with coffee, other than the medical reasons just listed above And, tortuga langua, I wonder what variety of Turkish coffee you get in 3-4 big cups. It sounds like drinking 3-4 beer mugs of tequila

[Edited at 2006-02-12 14:40][/quote]

Xola, I ment that "czech kind of turkis
... See more
Ah, I drink Turkish coffee only when I want to give myself a treat with coffee, other than the medical reasons just listed above And, tortuga langua, I wonder what variety of Turkish coffee you get in 3-4 big cups. It sounds like drinking 3-4 beer mugs of tequila

[Edited at 2006-02-12 14:40][/quote]

Xola, I ment that "czech kind of turkish coffee" - it goes like that: 1. I take a bigger cup, put 2-3 of heaped teaspoons with coffee pulver (and sugar if you like it sweet - I do) in it and just douse it with boiling water. So thats the way, how do I drink my coffee. Its quite strong, but I have the same problem as you - can´t wake up without my coffee:-))
Collapse

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
I chose 'none'... Feb 12, 2006

...because I only drink decaf (1-2 a day). Otherwise, I drink Tea, mostly herbal (2-3 a day).
See, I used to drink lots of coffee, espresso mainly, when I worked as a barrista in a café in Toronto, Canada. I don't know if there is such a thing as a caffeine overdose, but something happened where, after a couple of years, even a cup of (real) drip coffee in the morning would keep me up at night! I read somewhere that for people who are really sensitive to caffeine, its effect can last for
... See more
...because I only drink decaf (1-2 a day). Otherwise, I drink Tea, mostly herbal (2-3 a day).
See, I used to drink lots of coffee, espresso mainly, when I worked as a barrista in a café in Toronto, Canada. I don't know if there is such a thing as a caffeine overdose, but something happened where, after a couple of years, even a cup of (real) drip coffee in the morning would keep me up at night! I read somewhere that for people who are really sensitive to caffeine, its effect can last for up to 16 hours... Well, I guess I've become one of them.
But I miss it! I love the taste of coffee (black, except if it's espresso) so now I drink decaf to somewhat satisfy my taste buds.
Sad story.
Collapse

Іnese
Іnese
Ukraine
Local time: 18:08
Member (2012)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Coffee VS Other drinks Feb 12, 2006

I drink strong coffe, but I know that it is not too much wholesome drink. If you have much work to do especially at night, it better to have tea or juices or any other drink ...

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
Mate-mate!! Feb 12, 2006

Ma. Fernanda Blesa wrote:

If you'd like to know a bit more about "mate", you can visit Wikipedia, which has a really great and very complete description of mate and the social ritual associated with it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

Thank you Fernanda, that was a really interesting read! I'm going to see if I can find any here in Canada...

Katharine Prucha
Katharine Prucha  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
coffee dreams Feb 12, 2006

I have cut way back - to just 2-3 cups per day - but I go to bed at night with a smile on my face 'cause I'm so looking forward to my 1st cup of the morning. I even named my cat Java!

Ana Brause
Ana Brause  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
A tip... Feb 12, 2006

Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream in your coffee (this is a summer recipe, of course, unless you get addicted to it) and enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (and don't add sugar to the coffee, the blend of cold and hot is great!)
Ana (here I am, enjoying mine now.. cheers!)

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Coffee, Tea or caffeine Feb 12, 2006

Moderate doses of xxxx: withdrawal symptoms can begin as soon 12 hours after stopping your intake. They are at their worst after 24-48 hours, and can last for up to a week.
Irritable
Restless
Muscle stiffness
Difficulty concentrating
Headaches, moderate to severe
Chills and/or hot spells
Excess doses ofxxxx:
Jitteriness
Difficulty sleeping
Headaches
Anxiety
Flushed face
Nausea
Accelerated heartbeat <
... See more
Moderate doses of xxxx: withdrawal symptoms can begin as soon 12 hours after stopping your intake. They are at their worst after 24-48 hours, and can last for up to a week.
Irritable
Restless
Muscle stiffness
Difficulty concentrating
Headaches, moderate to severe
Chills and/or hot spells
Excess doses ofxxxx:
Jitteriness
Difficulty sleeping
Headaches
Anxiety
Flushed face
Nausea
Accelerated heartbeat

This was taken from a medical student examination paper in the 1970's.
As you can guess from the topic it is talking about caffeine. I used to drink in excess of 10 MUGS per day (instant and percholated), but when I changed jobs and became a freelance translator I now only have one in the morning and one after my siesta. The job is much more relaxing (although, of course it can be stressful now and again) than working in a hospital environment all my life.
Collapse

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:08
German to English
+ ...
Mate, yes! Feb 12, 2006

Thank you Ma. Fernanda Blesa for reminding me of mate. I was introduced to the fascinating ritual of mate drinking during a visit to friends in a Druze (Syrian) community in the Golan Heights. They must have taken over the habit from the people returning from So. America as mentioned in the Wikipedia article, and it's become an essential part of the day's ritual there. They drink it every afternoon/evening in Golan, but use a porcelain service instead of a gourd. I had to dig out my mate set (th... See more
Thank you Ma. Fernanda Blesa for reminding me of mate. I was introduced to the fascinating ritual of mate drinking during a visit to friends in a Druze (Syrian) community in the Golan Heights. They must have taken over the habit from the people returning from So. America as mentioned in the Wikipedia article, and it's become an essential part of the day's ritual there. They drink it every afternoon/evening in Golan, but use a porcelain service instead of a gourd. I had to dig out my mate set (they wouldn't let me leave without all the equipment once they saw I enjoyed mate) and do a round today.Collapse

Margarita Gonzalez
Margarita Gonzalez  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:08
English to Spanish
Now, that's a challenge for all the translators around. Feb 12, 2006

Szymon Metkowski wrote:

Some days ago we created a short form for the word TRANSLATOR on the Polish forum. It was like the first letters of: Coffee, Computer and Seven Dictionaries
Cocosedi?
Café, Computadora, siete diccionarios
¿Cacosidi?

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 16:08
one mug of Java... Feb 12, 2006

kicks me off nicely for the day.

It's just a nice little routine I have,where I brew my cafetiere with Java coffee and then get stuck into my e-mails first thing in the morning.

Kenco decaff isn't too bad. I just don't get the whole herbal tea thing, as far as I am concerned, it should be called herbal water, where is the tea part?

Last week I went for a girly detox wrap in a salon. As part
... See more
kicks me off nicely for the day.

It's just a nice little routine I have,where I brew my cafetiere with Java coffee and then get stuck into my e-mails first thing in the morning.

Kenco decaff isn't too bad. I just don't get the whole herbal tea thing, as far as I am concerned, it should be called herbal water, where is the tea part?

Last week I went for a girly detox wrap in a salon. As part of the after-care, I was advised to stay off the booze for a week - that was fine, I can do that. But when the beautician told me I couldn't have coffee for a few days, I nearly went mental I was like "but what if I just have a small cup and make it a mild one??!"

But as long as you counteract each cup of coffee with the same amount of water, then it's a step in the right direction.
Collapse

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
1... Feb 12, 2006

after many years of heavy drinking... i realised that i can not really sleep after i had a coffe later than 6 in the evening... i would work and be very tired and want to go to bed and then i would indeed go and count sheep, stars, watch tv, get up and restarted work, feel sleepy again, go back to bed, count sheep, stars, tv... and then, with the first ray of sun, i would finally go to sleep... so... i had to cut down... i have a HUUUUUUUGE cup when i get up (at about 10) and then i sip it slowl... See more
after many years of heavy drinking... i realised that i can not really sleep after i had a coffe later than 6 in the evening... i would work and be very tired and want to go to bed and then i would indeed go and count sheep, stars, watch tv, get up and restarted work, feel sleepy again, go back to bed, count sheep, stars, tv... and then, with the first ray of sun, i would finally go to sleep... so... i had to cut down... i have a HUUUUUUUGE cup when i get up (at about 10) and then i sip it slowly until 3 or 4 in the afternoon... i like my coffee strong and cold and no sugar and no milk... and i really hate the fact that i have so far missed 1000s of cups since i stopped 'heavy drinking'... anyhow, my mother used to say it was because i was aging... and i was only 32 at the time!

still... i miss it... i drink "lakes" instead!
Collapse

De la Vera C (X)
De la Vera C (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
No coffe here Feb 12, 2006

I don't usually have coffee, especially in Summer, and when I do, most of the times I have capuccino. But I have lots of mate instead (several rounds in the morning and several rounds in the afternoon). I just couldn't do without it! Thanks Ma. Fernanda for your post about mate.

Verónica

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Mate" & the Middle East Feb 14, 2006

Melanie Nassar wrote:

Thank you Ma. Fernanda Blesa for reminding me of mate. I was introduced to the fascinating ritual of mate drinking during a visit to friends in a Druze (Syrian) community in the Golan Heights. They must have taken over the habit from the people returning from So. America as mentioned in the Wikipedia article, and it's become an essential part of the day's ritual there. They drink it every afternoon/evening in Golan, but use a porcelain service instead of a gourd. I had to dig out my mate set (they wouldn't let me leave without all the equipment once they saw I enjoyed mate) and do a round today.

I was surprised when I read that in Wikipedia, yes So it's actually true, you do drink "mate" in the Middle East!!! Do you have any "additions" or changes that may have been added through time? Other than the porcelain service I mean (BTW, is the "bombilla" made of porcelain as well?)

I'm glad the article was of interest for different people here, I remember I had a teacher who used to say that one of the key qualities a good translator must have is curiosity, so I guess we've covered that now

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 10:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
On coffee and everything sweet... Feb 14, 2006

My little piece of heaven on earth is Saturday mornings when I get up early to work on a freelance job (I have a regular 8-to-5 job as an in-house translator, so I have to do my freelance projects on the weekends). These days, whenever I don't have a freelance project, I have to work on my graduate thesis, so it's the same routine:

I put on a big pot of coffee laced with cinammon (I use powdered, somehow I think my coffemaker would not like it if I used cinammon sticks...
See more
My little piece of heaven on earth is Saturday mornings when I get up early to work on a freelance job (I have a regular 8-to-5 job as an in-house translator, so I have to do my freelance projects on the weekends). These days, whenever I don't have a freelance project, I have to work on my graduate thesis, so it's the same routine:

I put on a big pot of coffee laced with cinammon (I use powdered, somehow I think my coffemaker would not like it if I used cinammon sticks). Sometimes I mix it with a little powdered, unsweetened cocoa.

I make enough for two or three mugs (I don't use "cups" but MUGS ). Dainty cups are for drinking tea... and even when I drink tea, which is occasionally, I use mugs! hehe

Then, I sit down with my first cup of coffee and do crossword puzzles online. (USA TODAY's webpage has some good ones, there's a new one every day).

When I finish that first cup, I start working, and then I have the second one, and the third one... There are days when I make a second batch, but I usually just drink two or three a day.

That doesn't mean I don't consume other forms of caffeine! I'm addicted to Diet Coke... and I gotta have chocolate once in a while.

Ana Brause wrote:

Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream in your coffee (this is a summer recipe, of course, unless you get addicted to it) and enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (and don't add sugar to the coffee, the blend of cold and hot is great!)
Ana (here I am, enjoying mine now.. cheers!)

Ohh I used to do that too!! Or, if there was no ice cream, but there was some whipped topping in the fridge, I'd use that and sprinkle cinammon on top. Yummm! I don't do it now, though, I'm cutting back on sugar
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On avarage, how many cups of coffee do you drink per day?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »