Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 08:05
SITE STAFF
Feb 19, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:05
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
ProZ.com Feb 19, 2006

Well, considering that the correct name is ProZ.com, not just ProZ, I think "proze" is the only possible way. Not to mention that it makes obvious the other meaning, which is Pro(fessional)s.icon_smile.gif

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Proze Feb 19, 2006

is the way I pronounce it, just like grows and hose and toes.

However some people in Germany tend to call it "Protz" (with a short o), because the rule says that vowel followed by z at the end of a word should be spoken "ts". It's not the best pronunciation though because "protzen" simply means to show officon_wink.gif)

Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail info@hansson.de
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:05
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Like Pros Feb 19, 2006

I just assumed it was a short, cuter way of saying "pros" as in professionals. I've heard Pro-zed but frankly, why would the site be called Pro-zed or Pro-zee?

sabina moscatelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Please don't laugh... Feb 19, 2006

In Italy we often say Proz [pro:ts], more or less

icon_smile.gif

Ana Brause  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pro-Zeta Feb 19, 2006

¡Con la "Zeta" del Zorro! Well, thats my version of the name (so I voted Pro-zet). I like it this way... sounds like a bit of a blend between "profeta" and Antonio Banderas.icon_biggrin.gif
I would like to know what Henry thinks of all this..
Cheersicon_wink.gif

Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pro-Zed Feb 19, 2006

Until I heard somebody else calling it "proze", I had never realized it could stand for "pros", thus "professionals"! And I believe this is confirmed by the number of people who answer such thing.

I have always called it PRO ZED; you know why? Because normally words start with a capital letter, so I thought in this name we had 2 words, one for Pro and the other one (if you notice, the "Z" is capitalized), for "Zed" as the second word of the name. If the "Z" wasn't capitalized, then I would have definitely considered it as one word and called it "proz".

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
What a lovely question :-) Feb 19, 2006

I've always pronounced it like "grows", but with a shorter "o", and I think this is how most other Turkish-speakers do. And strangely, when I first knew about the site, the fact that "proz" stood for "professionals" was not clear to me at all; I realized it only after seeing the spelling ProZ (must be due to my exposure to teenage rap culture that I realized the Z was meant to be the plural suffixicon_lol.gif )

And, Erik, some people in Germany call me Ötsden, too, but unlike the "protzen" I cannot write here what it would remind one in Turkish.

Regards,
Özden

avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
PRO ZED as I see it Feb 19, 2006

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Until I heard somebody else calling it "proze", I had never realized it could stand for "pros", thus "professionals"! And I believe this is confirmed by the number of people who answer such thing.

I have always called it PRO ZED; you know why? Because normally words start with a capital letter, so I thought in this name we had 2 words, one for Pro and the other one (if you notice, the "Z" is capitalized), for "Zed" as the second word of the name. If the "Z" wasn't capitalized, then I would have definitely considered it as one word and called it "proz".

I completely agree with Christina. Most translators I know say "proze" (as the poll result reflects after 300+ answers)and to me it was obious from the first day on that it should mean "professionals", but someone (Henry?) may have had a well-considered reason to put in a capital Z. By the way, if I remember correctly, Henry himself said PRO ZED during the Krakow conference.
Herman

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:05
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Am I on my own? Feb 19, 2006

I voted "other" because I always think and speak of it as "Prozz" (to rhyme with the Wizard of Oz), also "KoodOZZ" for KudoZ (stress on the second syllable).

[Edited at 2006-02-19 13:55]

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great pool! Feb 19, 2006

I am within the 68.4% that pronounces 'proze' (rhyming with grows). Sometimes I add the dot com.

However, many people in my country (Argentina) pronounce Prozeta.

icon_smile.gif Au

[Edited at 2006-02-19 14:36]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No, Jack, me too Feb 19, 2006

Like Jack, I pronounce it Prozz in English, calling it it ProZ-com or occasionally Proz-dot-com (both or all vowels the same.)

Actually I pronounce it at least as frequently in Danish, which very rarely uses a Z sound except in foreign words (and as a foreigner I over-correct rather than make mistakes...)

So it ends up as Pross or Pross-com (rhyming with Cos lettuce, a slightly shorter S than cross or boss, but somewhere along those lines.)

Likewise Kudos - I've learnt enough Greek from my father - practically noneicon_biggrin.gif - to call them Kudos with an S in both languages...

Wasn't it Sony that tried to find a name that would be pronounced the same way in all languages?
Difficult - and we haven't mentioned accents!

[Edited at 2006-02-20 08:22]

Ana Brause  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Aurora.. Feb 19, 2006

What a relief!! Now I feel in good company, cheersicon_biggrin.gif

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Prozz Feb 19, 2006

I'm with Jack and Christine - is this a UK English thing? For me to pronounce it so it rhymes with toes and grows it would have to be ProZe!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search