Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If you work at home, and have a family, how do you feel when you shut yourself in your office?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 20, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you work at home, and have a family, how do you feel when you shut yourself in your office?".

This poll was originally submitted by Stephanie Mitchel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information,
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you work at home, and have a family, how do you feel when you shut yourself in your office?".

This poll was originally submitted by Stephanie Mitchel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:33
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Good question! Feb 20, 2006

I feel relieved. I find it rather difficult to switch to another mode of existence after my son is back from him school and my wife is back from her work. A very thought-provoking pool...

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
French to English
Good start! Feb 20, 2006

Hurray for candor. Actually I should have included "Both" as an option, because that's how I often feel. Love to use the grey matter, but hate missing out on the hilarity I hear between my son and husband.

Stefan Sigurdsson
Stefan Sigurdsson  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:33
Danish to Icelandic
+ ...
Very fine Feb 20, 2006

I feel very fine. The best thing about working as a translator is that you can work at home. There are some people who spend 3 hours a day travelling to and from work. It takes me about 3 seconds to go to work ... I couldn't be happier ....

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
French to English
Ooh! Good point. Feb 20, 2006

That is a big plus. I don't know what I'd have done if I'd had to leave my son to work, though lots of people manage!

tradall
tradall
Local time: 14:33
English to French
+ ...
Good question Feb 20, 2006

Now my children are grown up, but when they were young, I only worked at night or when they were at school, so noone had to suffer from the behaviour of the others.
The problem is that I am an insomniac now...

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Other Feb 20, 2006

I feel neither relieved nor guilty, I just have a job. Whether the workplace is next room or 20 tube stations away, I have to go to work to pay the bills, support the family and go on holiday. But working from home is definitely a plus for everybody in the household.
Philippe

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Other... Feb 20, 2006

job to do... the children know it, but the youngest is five, so she understands... not easy, especially when the wife is out working as well. But then, it's only for a couple of hours, from picking them up from school until 5.30 pm.

Giovanni

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:33
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other Feb 20, 2006

There's two of us at home, both translators. We spend most of our time in our home office, translating or otherwise working.

Problem is we often feel guilty when not in our home office.

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 17:33
English to Urdu
+ ...
Other Feb 20, 2006

I don't feel anything disturbing during my work. Working in solitude gives me peace of mind and hence an increase in efficiency. Neither do the family complain about my being away.

Regards

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
I feel great! Feb 20, 2006

I know locking myself is rather harsh, but I love to hear my baby girl banging on the door so I can play with her... then after a few minutes she accepts that I have to work... and the more locked up time, more business, more money...

Nothing's better than working at home!

Cheers!

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Both relieved and guilty Feb 20, 2006

I have triplets aged 7 and sometimes I feel relieved and guilty at the same time, sometimes I feel only guilty, sometimes I feel only relieved...
It's a very complicated issue, from my point of view. It also depends on the age of the kids.

Laura

Michal Berski
Michal Berski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 20, 2006

My wife is a translator too, and we have no children yet. On the other hand, we do not have separate rooms for work; my desk is in living room/kitchen dinner (convenient when I'm preparing lunch or sth). My wife uses laptop with wireless network connection, thus usuallly works in our bedroom, sometimes on the balcony or in the living room, together with me (in particular, whem some consultation is needed).

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
I feel guilty when... Feb 20, 2006

...I have to work when my son is at home. Especially when I have to work under pressure and have to tell him to go to his room and to leave me alone.
I have enough time to work while he is at school, with his friends, at the sports club, sleeping, etc. so I want to avoid working when he is at home and awake. But sometimes I have to, and if it is because I have been lazy during my "working hours", or because of some time mismanagement I feel guilty.
I am a single parent and he is an
... See more
...I have to work when my son is at home. Especially when I have to work under pressure and have to tell him to go to his room and to leave me alone.
I have enough time to work while he is at school, with his friends, at the sports club, sleeping, etc. so I want to avoid working when he is at home and awake. But sometimes I have to, and if it is because I have been lazy during my "working hours", or because of some time mismanagement I feel guilty.
I am a single parent and he is an only child, so when I have to work while I could spend time with him, there is no other family member (except the guinea pigs) he can talk to.
On the other hand, the more I work, the less he can sit in front of the computer
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you work at home, and have a family, how do you feel when you shut yourself in your office?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »