https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/43018-poll%3A_describe_how_you_are_dressed_today.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Describe how you are dressed today.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 24, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Describe how you are dressed today.".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:05
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Professionally Feb 24, 2006

Sorry to begin with a criticism but in Israel, the only time you wear a suit is when you get married. I dress professionally with a collarred shirt, but no suit and no tie.

I hear in Jamaica professional walk around in shorts!

Stephen Rifkind

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 14:05
Casual Friday!! Feb 24, 2006

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
French to English
Working at a car wash Feb 24, 2006

Back when I was a technology/engineering expert working in an office I came in dressed like this on a casual Friday (without the grey sweatshirt because it was summer then and I had sandals instead of torn slippers) and the CEO told me I looked like I was dressed for working at the car wash.

He latter instituted a dress-up Tuesday and I wore a tie with Marvin the Martian on it. ("You're making me very angry Earthling
... See more
Back when I was a technology/engineering expert working in an office I came in dressed like this on a casual Friday (without the grey sweatshirt because it was summer then and I had sandals instead of torn slippers) and the CEO told me I looked like I was dressed for working at the car wash.

He latter instituted a dress-up Tuesday and I wore a tie with Marvin the Martian on it. ("You're making me very angry Earthling.") ...and he liked the tie.

Bruce
Collapse

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I love this question... Feb 24, 2006

... it's so good to know that most of us, we are "at ease". It's good for the performance, I think.

Have a nice weekend,

Eva

Marisa Condurso de Nohara
Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Coming to know each other Feb 24, 2006

This poll is not strictly inherent to the activity of a translator, but to the habits and idiosincracy of each people around the world. Just to add a commentary from my country, and having experienced being an in-house employee and a freelancer as I am since 2002, I guess my landmates might be wearing a suit if they are working at a company (and in the case of women, a perfect "secretary-like" look). But if they have built up an office at home, and they do not receive unscheduled clients, they m... See more
This poll is not strictly inherent to the activity of a translator, but to the habits and idiosincracy of each people around the world. Just to add a commentary from my country, and having experienced being an in-house employee and a freelancer as I am since 2002, I guess my landmates might be wearing a suit if they are working at a company (and in the case of women, a perfect "secretary-like" look). But if they have built up an office at home, and they do not receive unscheduled clients, they must be wearing jeans, T-shirts or what they usually wear to stay at home. Does this elucidate any deep-rooted doubt?Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Casual... Feb 24, 2006

...just as 99% of the time.

But if "professional" means suit, and thus I guess "casual" means no suit, then I wonder what is "semi-casual" ? lol
Half-suit half no suit ?

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Semi-casual Feb 24, 2006

Sonka wrote:
But if "professional" means suit, and thus I guess "casual" means no suit, then I wonder what is "semi-casual" ? lol

It means a suit with a little stain of ketch-up on it

Thanks for the laugh,
Monika

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
semi-casual? Feb 24, 2006

Perhaps semi-casual is smart above the waist (can be seen) and scruffy below (under the desk, therefore hidden). I must admit I border on "can't go out looking like this (or can't even be seen like looking like this by the postman/best friends)" and "semi-casual". I once got so carried away on a job that when my husband came home that evening he thought I was just off to bed - I was still wearing my pajamas and hadn't noticed.

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Isn't this what we do it for? Feb 24, 2006

At least in part. I mean, many choose the freelance translation profession for the freedoms it accords, among which the freedom to dress at home as one pleases, and in some cases even in the climate that one pleases.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Amen Feb 24, 2006

That's why we do it.

Surtees
Surtees
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just changed Feb 24, 2006

It was only when I started reading this thread that I realised I was actually wearing semi-formal clothes - dress trousers, proper shirt, no tie though. I'd been out this morning and when I came back I just grabbed a bit of lunch and sat down to work without even thinking about it. So, I immediately got up and changed back into my 'slobbing around at home' clothes - thin cotton drawstring trousers, t-shirt, no socks or shoes - which is what I almost always wear when I'm working from home.
... See more
It was only when I started reading this thread that I realised I was actually wearing semi-formal clothes - dress trousers, proper shirt, no tie though. I'd been out this morning and when I came back I just grabbed a bit of lunch and sat down to work without even thinking about it. So, I immediately got up and changed back into my 'slobbing around at home' clothes - thin cotton drawstring trousers, t-shirt, no socks or shoes - which is what I almost always wear when I'm working from home.
I must say, however, when I was working in offices I really liked dressing formally - suit, tie, etc.
Collapse

JackieMcC
JackieMcC
French to English
I chose semi-casual Feb 24, 2006

A fun poll for a Friday evening!

I voted semi-casual, because to me "casual" means something like sportswear or jeans, and I usually only wear them to walk the dog or do the gardening!
I tend to wear skirts but I think that's more to do with my personal style rather than where I live ...
One possibly strange habit - I always put on a pair of shoes when I'm working in winter (go bare foot in summer) as I just don't feel efficient in a pair of slippers !!

Jac
... See more
A fun poll for a Friday evening!

I voted semi-casual, because to me "casual" means something like sportswear or jeans, and I usually only wear them to walk the dog or do the gardening!
I tend to wear skirts but I think that's more to do with my personal style rather than where I live ...
One possibly strange habit - I always put on a pair of shoes when I'm working in winter (go bare foot in summer) as I just don't feel efficient in a pair of slippers !!

Jackie
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Preparing for Saturdays Feb 24, 2006

I have dressed in shorts, T-Shirt and snickers and went for 5 hours hang gliding. I did a course lately and it is lots of fun, the oxygen shock in the heights relaxes you much. One of my older colleagues at school ( he is about 70 yrs old) said a days gliding relaxes you like a 6 week holiday. So I have always wanted to do this and now I had a chance to do a course in jan, since then I cannot stop hang-gliding. It is much more fun, away from noise, industrial /polluted cities. Earlier I used to ... See more
I have dressed in shorts, T-Shirt and snickers and went for 5 hours hang gliding. I did a course lately and it is lots of fun, the oxygen shock in the heights relaxes you much. One of my older colleagues at school ( he is about 70 yrs old) said a days gliding relaxes you like a 6 week holiday. So I have always wanted to do this and now I had a chance to do a course in jan, since then I cannot stop hang-gliding. It is much more fun, away from noise, industrial /polluted cities. Earlier I used to do speed biking but I am turning more and more to hang gliding. Also there is much development in this field lately. Best BrandisCollapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:05
Member (2004)
English to Italian
shorts and T-shirt? Feb 24, 2006

Brandis wrote:

I have dressed in shorts, T-Shirt and snickers and went for 5 hours hang gliding. Best Brandis

But it's like 0 degrees in Berlin!

Anyway, jeans and hoodie for me today... (it was snowing here).

Giovanni

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Describe how you are dressed today.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »