Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you use anti-virus software? (Please comment if you have tips.)
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kathy Ramgahan
Kathy Ramgahan
Local time: 18:27
English to Amharic
+ ...
Zonealarm rulez Mar 1, 2006

Garaemma wrote:

I use Norton Antivirus and I have never had any problems with it and for the firewall I use Zonealarm.
I tried using McAfee but I had problems with it, it wasn`t compatible with my internet server with the broadband.

Yeah, Zonealarm is a good firewall. I switched to it from Norton Internet Security 2005. It was very unreliable and computer frequently crushed when checked new emails. With zonealarm, I forgot about those problems.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:27
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
hardware firewall + software firewall + anitivirus Mar 1, 2006

I use a hardware firewall (in the router to my LAN), a software firewall and McAfee anitivirus.

AV is a MUST, but Mar 1, 2006

Norton or McAfee AV is a MUST.
Once upon a time, I ruined my computer and lost precious files. What a loss! Not only that new computer must be configuired from ground up. What a waste of time!
However, this is not due to NAV, it was due to the invasion of Spyware into my computer!
Never forget ANTISPYWARE too.

Stefan Sigurdsson
Stefan Sigurdsson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
Danish to Icelandic
+ ...
ZoneAlarm Mar 1, 2006

Yes, I use ZoneAlarm, which is a very good anti-virus software. I also use spybot and adaware. Translators use the internet a great deal in their work, so using a anti-virus software is important.

Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:27
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same here... Norton Mar 1, 2006

Susan Koyama-Steele wrote:

Norton or McAfee AV is a MUST.
Once upon a time, I ruined my computer and lost precious files. What a loss! Not only that new computer must be configuired from ground up. What a waste of time!
However, this is not due to NAV, it was due to the invasion of Spyware into my computer!
Never forget ANTISPYWARE too.

Had the same problem 2 years ago... learned a hard lesson!

ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 23:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
What about deep freeze? Mar 1, 2006

Anti virus softwares are never 100 trusted. You always need additional firewalls, popup blockers and ads blockers.
I finally found the "abra cadabra" solution for intruders being "Deep freeze". It's a software that removes any program that enters your system once you shut down. What could be a minus is that when you need to save a file you must stop the software.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Software confusion Mar 1, 2006

Put me back in line if I'm being rude, but some of the posters here seem to be confusing anti-virus software, antispyware and firewalls.
They share some protection/ prevention functions, but they aren't the same thing.

Another thing - I really don't remember when I last had a virus get in my computer. Not letting my computer get infected, but my software intercepting a virus. It must have been more than 5-6 years ago.
Ditto for spyware and other nasties.

I s
... See more
Put me back in line if I'm being rude, but some of the posters here seem to be confusing anti-virus software, antispyware and firewalls.
They share some protection/ prevention functions, but they aren't the same thing.

Another thing - I really don't remember when I last had a virus get in my computer. Not letting my computer get infected, but my software intercepting a virus. It must have been more than 5-6 years ago.
Ditto for spyware and other nasties.

I scan my computer religiously (or obsessively, depending on point of view) and never come up with anything, except for the usual batch of data miner cookies from normal commercial sites, which I don't consider a threat.

Am I lucky or simply careful?

I look at the internet and connectivity in general as walking around a large city: there are some parts you avoid. There are some people you don't talk to. There are some things lying around which you don't pick up.

P.A.S.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:27
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
AVG Mar 1, 2006

But if I had Windows, I would use it for sure. When I had had Windows, I had been using AVG - it was free and very good one. Never caught any nasty thing with it
Anni

I love AVG. Inexpensive, it scans the mail, sends updates maybe twice a day and will scan the computer as often as I tell it to. Used to have Norton which I believe clogs up your system like molasses and their support is so bloody complicated.

I had one question with AVG once. They remotely analysed my installation and confirmed it was OK within about 15 minutes.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
We don´t need no stinking AV software! We use LINUX! Mar 1, 2006

I haven´t had a single virus problem, intrusion or crash in five years, ever since I switched to Linux.
And I haven´t paid a cent for software, either.
Can´t beat that.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Linux ROCKS Mar 1, 2006

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

I have Linux OS and I simply don't need anti-virus program. Last virus for Linux was created about 11 years ago, and there are at most dozen of them.

But if I had Windows, I would use it for sure. When I had had Windows, I had been using AVG - it was free and very good one. Never caught any nasty thing with it

Anni

I just said that same thing.
Haven´t had a virus in 5 years, ever since I switched to Linux.
No intrusions or crashed, either, and have´t paid a cent for software.
LINUX ROCKS!
Vive Tux!

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
You are right Mar 1, 2006

Being a former Mac user, I shouldn't have missed that - how silly of me

Sandra Chiancone wrote:

Özden Arıkan wrote:

that the last two options will ever get any votes! ("I don't know [whether I use an antivirus software?]" and "What is an antivirus software?")

Don't forget that not everyone runs Windows, which is very vulnerable to virus.
Mac OS and Linux, for ex., are, so far, pretty much immune to them.

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 01:27
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
http://www.avgnew.com Mar 1, 2006

Textklick wrote:

Anni

I love AVG. Inexpensive, it scans the mail, sends updates maybe twice a day and will scan the computer as often as I tell it to. Used to have Norton which I believe clogs up your system like molasses and their support is so bloody complicated.

I had one question with AVG once. They remotely analysed my installation and confirmed it was OK within about 15 minutes.

Hey, look what I found - a short description of AVG + a fast link to the trials page http://www.avgnew.com

I hope they do place links to the new versions only as their name states...

Sergei Nikolenko
Sergei Nikolenko  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:27
English to Russian
Kaspersky 4.5 + ZoneAlarm Mar 1, 2006

Works great, never had any problems.

sugrass
sugrass  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another vote for Avast! Mar 1, 2006

Maria Asis wrote:

There's also Avast!

Widely and happily used between many colleagues!

You can download from www.avast.com

María José

[Edited at 2006-03-01 10:16]

I second what María José said. I´ve been using Avast for about 6 months now, and never had any complaint!!

sugrass

Anders Warnqvist
Anders Warnqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mac is the way to go May 20, 2009

Since there are currently no viruses that can infect Macs.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use anti-virus software? (Please comment if you have tips.)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »