Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: What do you do when the glossary supplied by a customer contains wrong translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 4, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you do when the glossary supplied by a customer contains wrong translations?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maria Tulbure

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a ne
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you do when the glossary supplied by a customer contains wrong translations?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maria Tulbure

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 20:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
I inform the agency and/or end client. Mar 4, 2006

Depending on what agency or end client I'm working with, I use either the supplied terms or the correct terms; in either case, I highlight the terms in question and write a letter to accompany the translation, in which I explain the problem and offer to change all the highlighted terms if they so desire.

How do I decide? Past experience with the agency/client is the main factor. Others might be:
1) Target audience. For instance, is the translation apparently for in-house use?
... See more
Depending on what agency or end client I'm working with, I use either the supplied terms or the correct terms; in either case, I highlight the terms in question and write a letter to accompany the translation, in which I explain the problem and offer to change all the highlighted terms if they so desire.

How do I decide? Past experience with the agency/client is the main factor. Others might be:
1) Target audience. For instance, is the translation apparently for in-house use? Then prefer the supplied term.
2) Degree of "wrongness." If it's not the usual term but still readily understood, prefer the supplied term. If it's way off, go with the correct term

Etc. etc.--but always with highlighting and a note. Every single time. Protect all parts of your anatomy!
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 02:59
English to German
+ ...
I go with Jane Mar 4, 2006

I inform the customer with possible alternatives. Brandis

Mercedes Alonso
Mercedes Alonso
Local time: 21:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too Mar 4, 2006

...and mumble to myself about it for weeks, specially if they insist on using the not so correct term...

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
My reply: other Mar 4, 2006

I contact client immediately.

Au

Marc Adler
Marc Adler  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:59
Japanese to English
Tell the client Mar 4, 2006

Telling the client is the best thing to do, and some clients will be more than happy to correct the glossary (since you're providing an extra service, after all). The only problem is that, in my experience, clients with in-house glossaries are generally huge companies (like car companies, etc.) which have used the glossaries for years, and are willing to sacrifice accuracy in favor of consistency. It's a question of degree, but sometimes you're just stuck using weird terms. There aren't many cas... See more
Telling the client is the best thing to do, and some clients will be more than happy to correct the glossary (since you're providing an extra service, after all). The only problem is that, in my experience, clients with in-house glossaries are generally huge companies (like car companies, etc.) which have used the glossaries for years, and are willing to sacrifice accuracy in favor of consistency. It's a question of degree, but sometimes you're just stuck using weird terms. There aren't many cases where the in-house glossary contains terms which are just out-and-out wrong, though, so it's not such a demanding compromise.

Marc
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Correct and Inform Mar 4, 2006

Of course the two go together, use the correct terms and innmediately inform the client what the situation is. Very seldom have I been confronted with such a situation, but I have ended up prevailing. After all, they are hiring me to get things done right and they will get their money's worth.

António Ribeiro
António Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I would contact the client... Mar 4, 2006

Aurora Humarán wrote:

I contact client immediately.

Au

...before wasting my time.

António

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:59
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Use terms in the glossary and inform the client/PM Mar 4, 2006

Hi,

I have learned to be very careful before correcting a term in a glossary. There could be reason unknwon to me why a certain term was used, therefore I use the terms available in the glossary and inform/ask client/PM whether that glossary hase gone through QS.

If yes, I take over whatever they prefer.

Giuliana

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
same story Mar 4, 2006

contact the client.

Katharine Prucha
Katharine Prucha  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
use correct terms.... Mar 4, 2006

....but inform the client, giving my reasons. If they absolutely insist that I use their terminology, then I change it back, but this usually does not happen

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My reply: other Mar 4, 2006

I contact the client and let them know that I think their term is wrong. If they insist that I use it anyway I point out again in my e-mail (when I deliver the translation) that I disagree with that particular term.

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
I never change glossary without contacting client Mar 4, 2006

simply for reasons of consistency. The term most likely is used in all the client's documentation. So changing it in one paper only would lead to confusion.

I ask about the wrong term and let the clients decide whether they want to correct the glossary and all their documentation.

Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Inform and abide by THEIR decision Mar 4, 2006

I've run into this problem only a couple of times. Some will accept the corrected term while other will insist on the use of their glossaries. In the end "el que paga manda", the one who pays is in charge.

Saludos a todos

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I consult them Mar 4, 2006

And do as told to.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do when the glossary supplied by a customer contains wrong translations?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »