Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Poll: What do you do when the glossary supplied by a customer contains wrong translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:44
French to English
Common sense Mar 7, 2006

Good old common sense dictates that you inform the client and follow his instructions.

We owe it to our clients to think about what we are being asked to do. I reckon that's what we're being paid for. It is part and parcel of our job to bring certain things into question.

I have had experience though of a client having imposed a glossary which was truly bad. You have to remain tactful though. So what to do?

Phone them, explain, suggest and follow up in wri
... See more
Good old common sense dictates that you inform the client and follow his instructions.

We owe it to our clients to think about what we are being asked to do. I reckon that's what we're being paid for. It is part and parcel of our job to bring certain things into question.

I have had experience though of a client having imposed a glossary which was truly bad. You have to remain tactful though. So what to do?

Phone them, explain, suggest and follow up in writing.

Do bear in mind that your reputation may be riding on this job. If their in-house is thoroughly rotten, then you might be best to refuse the job. In my early days starting out, a client imposed a style for a brochure which was very odd in French and horrendously unnatural in English. The brochure appeared locally and was used by local tourists. I was embarrassed as there was no way for me to say - it's not my fault! It was of course. I should have refused the job.

Over the years, I have gained confidence. The confidence to say yes and the confidence to say no too.
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Mar 15, 2006

I consult the client.

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Same as Robert, almost... Dec 7, 2006

I would consult also, but only do as I was told if I agreed with it. I can be quite stubborn when it comes to my area of expertise. But it would be a two-way discussion.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do when the glossary supplied by a customer contains wrong translations?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »