Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Poll: What is the first reaction when someone finds out you are a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
eltorgomania
eltorgomania
Local time: 14:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
Still Alive? Mar 6, 2006

Oh. Most people think that machine translation can do our job perfectly well.

A usual response from the asker is "I can do that with a dictionary beside me (and a cup of tea), and the translation is done!"

But usually people mix between the term translator and interpreter. A translator is for them a tourist guide or a tour leader!

By the way, for the colleague above who has been seen with many dictionaries and thesauri beside him, never do that again, peo
... See more
Oh. Most people think that machine translation can do our job perfectly well.

A usual response from the asker is "I can do that with a dictionary beside me (and a cup of tea), and the translation is done!"

But usually people mix between the term translator and interpreter. A translator is for them a tourist guide or a tour leader!

By the way, for the colleague above who has been seen with many dictionaries and thesauri beside him, never do that again, people despise the translator!!

It runs for them as: the more you grow, the "less" you "should" need them!
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Exactly! Mar 6, 2006

igor jovic wrote:

Which languages ...
... is typically the very first question.

then I usually answer ...

Nearly all people are interested in the language pairs. The second question most of time is "What do you translate?".
Next tot the questions you mentioned, frequently asked questions from people who like to find out what kind of birds translaters are soppesed to be, are:
So, you have to find clients yourself?
How do you get assignments?
How do you receive and send the documents?
What do you do when you don't know how to translate a special word?

[Edited at 2006-03-06 07:19]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Same here Mar 6, 2006

Rebecca Barath wrote:

Usually a blank stare, then the- "what does that mean?"...then the- "what languages?" and then- "wow, really"....it's when I tell them I sit around in my jammies half the day.....:) that they really get it......and I get called anything from- "you lucky....." to- "must be nice, maybe I should do that as well...."
Of course, there are those of my friends that have known me for years that tell me- " it's about darned time, I told you to do that 20 years ago!!"

I get the exact same kind of reaction. When it's people I don't know, or friends that haven't known me for too many years (or the in-laws), I usually get the "Oh really?" and the blank stare which puts an end to the conversation in no time.

But when it comes to my family or my friends of 20+ years, they all say "Oh how nice! You can finally work with languages, you were always go good..."

It's the same people who watched me send my university applications to nursing schools without saying a word ("Well, if that's really what you want to do..."), but who applauded my decision when I switched to translating

Fabio Scaliti
Fabio Scaliti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Just a matter of pride Mar 6, 2006

On the other hand, when I see those "blank stares" from somebody who haven't the fantest idea about my job (and who cannot appreciate it's preciousness), I can't help but listing all those well-known brand names in branches such as automobile industry, telecommunications, household appliances, etc., in order to fill up those stares!

Then everybody suddenly switches to envy or admiration, and perhaps ask me "Wow, then could please name my son/daughter/cousin/friend to those contacts
... See more
On the other hand, when I see those "blank stares" from somebody who haven't the fantest idea about my job (and who cannot appreciate it's preciousness), I can't help but listing all those well-known brand names in branches such as automobile industry, telecommunications, household appliances, etc., in order to fill up those stares!

Then everybody suddenly switches to envy or admiration, and perhaps ask me "Wow, then could please name my son/daughter/cousin/friend to those contacts you have?"

Of course they are sure I know Mr. Toyota personally...

Ciao,

Fabio
Collapse

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
Hesitation, then... Mar 6, 2006

...the question: which languages?
My Answer: English and German.
Reaction: But everybody speaks English!
Only when I give my special fields (mechanical engineering,
chemistry, IT) people accept that there might be some demand for translators in this language pair.

Last year I attended function intended to start a women's business network. After I'd introduced myself and explained what I do one lady burst out: "How boring!"
Of course she felt that way, s
... See more
...the question: which languages?
My Answer: English and German.
Reaction: But everybody speaks English!
Only when I give my special fields (mechanical engineering,
chemistry, IT) people accept that there might be some demand for translators in this language pair.

Last year I attended function intended to start a women's business network. After I'd introduced myself and explained what I do one lady burst out: "How boring!"
Of course she felt that way, she was working in the exiting field of - exporting wallpaper.
Collapse

Maria Tulbure
Maria Tulbure  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
It depends on who's asking Mar 6, 2006

What I am going to write here is strictly from my experience.
If it's someone who can't speak any foreign language, he/she would usually ask: "Can you say something in English?" At least my grandma or other old relatives used to ask me that question. Or they used to say: "Do you really understand everything when you watch a film on TV? Lucky you, you need no longer read the dialogues, you just have to listen to what they are talking in the film."...
See more
What I am going to write here is strictly from my experience.
If it's someone who can't speak any foreign language, he/she would usually ask: "Can you say something in English?" At least my grandma or other old relatives used to ask me that question. Or they used to say: "Do you really understand everything when you watch a film on TV? Lucky you, you need no longer read the dialogues, you just have to listen to what they are talking in the film."
People of my age, especially former schoolmates would say: "I studied English in school but I was bad. I was never able to learn foreign languages."
I taught English classes in the steel company where I used to work as a translator for about 10 years. I remember that one of the students (he was about 25), who admitted had never been interested in studying foreign languages but attended the classes because his chief told him to do that, came one day and told me there were translation machines; so consequently there was no need for him to attend the classes as he was going to use the machines for any translations he might need!
When I worked in an IT company, they used to ask me if it wasn't boring to do the same thing every day, as if I translated the same words or texts all the time!! I think it was stupid of them to think like that. It was impossible for them to imagine that every piece of translation is a challenge, and gives you satisfaction when you finish it. I would have never asked them if it wasn't boring for them to create software all the time.
Other translators usually ask me what I translate, maybe to know whether I am their competitor or simply from curiosity.

[Edited at 2006-03-06 11:20]
Collapse

JackieMcC
JackieMcC
French to English
French / UK differences Mar 6, 2006

Hi,
I've noticed a definite difference in reactions depending on whether the person I'm talking to is French or British (I'm British, living in France):
A typical French reaction is to assume I translate novels and that I am actually a "femme au foyer" and translating is some kind of hobby, like gardening or painting !!
I find this particularly annoying as I'm sure male translators don't get this reaction. Or do they?
When I say it is actually a full-time job the person
... See more
Hi,
I've noticed a definite difference in reactions depending on whether the person I'm talking to is French or British (I'm British, living in France):
A typical French reaction is to assume I translate novels and that I am actually a "femme au foyer" and translating is some kind of hobby, like gardening or painting !!
I find this particularly annoying as I'm sure male translators don't get this reaction. Or do they?
When I say it is actually a full-time job the person will look at me in disbelief, and when I explain that I translate legal and financial documents their eyes glaze over and they change the subject !

The British are generally much more enthusiastic about what I do, and more clued up about what translating actually involves. I think this enthusiasm is partly to do with the current fashion in the UK for selling up and moving to France to discover the "French way of life" - I get a lot of comments about how lucky I am to be doing a job that allows me to live in France.
Having said that, a lot of people do assume that any British person living in France and therefore able to speak the language could be a translator !!

Jackie
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
English to Polish
How many languages do you speak... Mar 6, 2006

... is what I hear most often. I reply: "Four... and I'm learning fifth" I add with satisfaction

But usually I get two responses: in my country, Poland, people ask me if I don't worry, that I don't have an "office" job, what if I don't get any jobs for long time? does it really pay enough? what if I get bored?

Well, in a country where there are so many people without work, being freelancer and working at
... See more
... is what I hear most often. I reply: "Four... and I'm learning fifth" I add with satisfaction

But usually I get two responses: in my country, Poland, people ask me if I don't worry, that I don't have an "office" job, what if I don't get any jobs for long time? does it really pay enough? what if I get bored?

Well, in a country where there are so many people without work, being freelancer and working at home is a real comfort. It least - no one would fire me

Another respose I get is usually from young people (15-21 years old), who live abroad. First they ask about languages, then how I work (at home, I set up hours for work, etc) and they say: "Cool, I love your lifestyle"

It's much easier and more pleasant to explain what my work looks like, then convince people that I'm not starving and sitting 8 hours a day in an office for bad pay is not something I find "stable and perfect job".

Anni
Collapse

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
That's interesting ... Mar 6, 2006

... is usually the first reaction. The second reaction is usually what subject matter and how many languages, in some cases who are the customers. I also add that this profession allows me to work from home, to which the usual response is, again, that's interesting.

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Rewriting books Mar 6, 2006

I ususally get the blank stare when people ask me "WHERE do you work?" and I tell them "In my armchair"

There was also a funny situation when I once met my grandma and one of her lady friends on the street. The friend remembered me as a little girl and was astonished how I had grown ("Goodness me, doesn't the time fly!") and of course wanted to know what I'm doing now. So she asked me questions and my grandma (not m
... See more
I ususally get the blank stare when people ask me "WHERE do you work?" and I tell them "In my armchair"

There was also a funny situation when I once met my grandma and one of her lady friends on the street. The friend remembered me as a little girl and was astonished how I had grown ("Goodness me, doesn't the time fly!") and of course wanted to know what I'm doing now. So she asked me questions and my grandma (not me, although I was there, too) answered.

"So what did you study?"
"She studied English" (so far so good)
"And what do you do now?"
"Oh, she rewrites books in Polish."

PS
A great poll, Marcus!

[Edited at 2006-03-06 10:21]
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
My favourite Mar 6, 2006

- I'm a translator.
- Do you translate English or all languages?

It's happened twice.

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
A very nice reaction I got recently Mar 6, 2006

A recent conversation between myself and someone who did some decoration work in my office:
- So, what is it you do?
- I'm a translator.
- *blink-blink* "Really? Oh boy, you mean people can actually make a living out of translations these days?" He said this in a tone like "Even I could do that, but I prefer doing REAL work..."

Elena Sánchez-Pinto Hodgson
Elena Sánchez-Pinto Hodgson  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Poor ignorants!!! Mar 6, 2006

I've heard all kind of comments.
Once, when I still was at the University I took a taxi and this is how the conversation went:
Taxi driver: An what are you studying?
Me: Translation and interpreting
Taxi driver: Ahhh! So you want to be an actress...
Me: Mmmm, no, not exactly. I study languages (I didn´t feel like explaining everything)
Taxi driver: I see, so you want to be an airhostess
Me: Yes, sure... (I just gave up trying to explain it. I thik he
... See more
I've heard all kind of comments.
Once, when I still was at the University I took a taxi and this is how the conversation went:
Taxi driver: An what are you studying?
Me: Translation and interpreting
Taxi driver: Ahhh! So you want to be an actress...
Me: Mmmm, no, not exactly. I study languages (I didn´t feel like explaining everything)
Taxi driver: I see, so you want to be an airhostess
Me: Yes, sure... (I just gave up trying to explain it. I thik he would never ever be able to understand it)

The one the most annoying so far was when I foud out a friend my said translation was all about intuition...Poor ignorant!! Of course I´ve also seen people "disappointed" when you say you use dictionaries for your work.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Reply to Elena Mar 6, 2006

Elena SPH wrote:

The one the most annoying so far was when I foud out a friend my said translation was all about intuition...Poor ignorant!! Of course I´ve also seen people "disappointed" when you say you use dictionaries for your work.

Why, you are using dictionaries? One person stated (I am not making this up) that this is cheating!!! Uhm, America!

Marie Belliot-Niget
Marie Belliot-Niget  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
Books and IFUs Mar 6, 2006

When I say I'm a translator, people usually assume that:
1) I translate books (such a cliché in France)
...and when I say I'm a technical translator, that
2) I translate IFUs, technical manuals, etc.

When I say I specialize in legal and marketing/communication, they usually ask "but who needs your services?", "why would a French company have a contract translated from English into French?". Then they ask why I don't do more fields and why I only translate from Eng
... See more
When I say I'm a translator, people usually assume that:
1) I translate books (such a cliché in France)
...and when I say I'm a technical translator, that
2) I translate IFUs, technical manuals, etc.

When I say I specialize in legal and marketing/communication, they usually ask "but who needs your services?", "why would a French company have a contract translated from English into French?". Then they ask why I don't do more fields and why I only translate from English into French when I speak other languages. Generally they don't think translation is serious enough to require high quality (and therefore don't understand the need for specialization).

I notice that usually people think of interpreting as being more rewarding than translation. When I say I've never felt appealed to interpreting, it's always " but WHY? it's got to be more interesting". The same goes for subtitling...

All in all, people get the impression my days are very dull In the end I just let them think whatever they want, I love my work and that's the most important...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the first reaction when someone finds out you are a translator?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »